Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance & Society in Naruto <3

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance (and society) in Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Yeah, but nothing came of it and i suspect we would just get more of the same.

With all of the former loved ones showing up trying to kill them and the general aura of death in the air, i just can't imagine any love affairs starting up at least until the dust settles.

After the dust settles then i think there will be some opportunity for some connections to form but not during battle. At least not during this battle.
    I don't know, man...

I could totally see someone (let's say Choji), going on and saving a girl (let's say Ino! ) and going all about "I'm going to protect you with my life!".

And then he almost dies on the battlefield and Ino is like "... Choji... I never knew..." or something like that.

That's totally the kind of love confession that Kishi likes.
    He already did it once with Hinata, so I'm expecting AT LEAST another of those things during the war!!

-----------------------------------

I'd like to see Naruto actually pick a freaking girlfriend before Sasuke gets dealt with(a.k.a. dies semi-heroically)

To give that person a chance to actually register with him a bit emotionally before his inevitable to duel with Sasuke. I think that would add another dimension to Naruto that he sorely needs right now.

Sasuke has his power, pride, and hate as the result of what he's devoted his life to. It would be nice to see Naruto oppose him with strength, courage, and the support of his friends and loved ones; the results of what he's devoted his life to. I think a girl who loves him would could be a great part of that equation.

Unfortunately, i think Sasuke's evil a-hole nature has become like one big emotional dam for Naruto's character. No feelings can flow past that dam until he blows it up. Then there should be a flood(figuratively).
    Yeah, Sasuke is all that Naruto is thinking about right now.
    Let's face it, Naruto certainly thought about Hinata's confession, and Sakura's fake confession.

Of course he tought about it... he would be crazy not to, but I think that, like everything else, he just don't want to deal with this stuff right now.

He focus on only one thing, and once that will be over, he will get back on the romance.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Eprst's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there is a romance - just look to the way how female characters dress. Sakura Ino and so on... and there is sex of course, how do you think Kurenai got pregnant?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Misazuki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Man Kishi was giving romance some focus at the beginning of shippuden now it is almost non existent.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gingitsune's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Karui et Omoi were going to Konoha looking for love. Karin joined hebi/taka just for romance and had quite a few "we are alone, I have to abuse him" scene. More recently, Mizukage have a few "this guy is hot" moment. There were Hinata's confession and Sakura's fake confession. Even in the last chapters, Lee came back with his "I'll protect your back, Sakura-chan" and he cried at the far end of a pannel when his Sakura confessed her love to Naruto (although it was a fake confession).

The only one that isn't much into romance is Naruto. But with Jiraiya's death, the revelations about his parents, Sasuke going down the crasiest possible path, the lessons to tame Kyûbi at last, romance is hardly his priority.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nonlife's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only true love I've seen has been between Minato/Kushina, and Asuma/Kurenai. Everything else has been signs of infatuation, so, yeah, romance will come AT THE END.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I always found those Nara family interactions to be fun...the way the house was mom's domain and the rest was Shikaku's and Shikamaru was just beginning to taste what meanst to be independent for real...that was fun, and similar stuff was referred to by Kushina as well, when she said that it was Minato's first win in the War of the Words...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gingitsune View Post
    Well, Karui et Omoi were going to Konoha looking for love. Karin joined hebi/taka just for romance and had quite a few "we are alone, I have to abuse him" scene. More recently, Mizukage have a few "this guy is hot" moment. There were Hinata's confession and Sakura's fake confession. Even in the last chapters, Lee came back with his "I'll protect your back, Sakura-chan" and he cried at the far end of a pannel when his Sakura confessed her love to Naruto (although it was a fake confession)
    Yeah, but all of those were false leads. We never heard anything again about Omoi and Karui's romantic pursuits. I don't even think we were to take them seriously. Karin's attempts at romance were a a disaster. And nearly cost her life. Mei Terumi is played for humor. A Christmas Cake. Hinata's confession was a huge moment. but there was no follow up.

I think fans were expecting things to be a little more fruitful by now.

So far there has been no romance in this war unless you want to stretch Lee promising to protect Sakura, and Temari starting in on Shika, as romantic moments. I am hoping Kishi will show something. But probably not until late in the war. No room for romance now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Yeah, but all of those were false leads. We never heard anything again about Omoi and Karui's romantic pursuits. I don't even think we were to take them seriously. Karin's attempts at romance were a a disaster. And nearly cost her life. Mei Terumi is played for humor. A Christmas Cake. Hinata's confession was a huge moment. but there was no follow up.

I think fans were expecting things to be a little more fruitful by now.

So far there has been no romance in this war unless you want to stretch Lee promising to protect Sakura, and Temari starting in on Shika, as romantic moments. I am hoping Kishi will show something. But probably not until late in the war. No room for romance now.
    It looks pretty much like it. But I can't help but think about Ino remembering Asuma's last words seem to hold a significance in the future for her character development. I think she could very well remember about Asuma's saying to her to not lose to Sakura in love. And not only that, Kishi did say he had something planned for Chouji in the Jump Fiesta interview. The new chapter was titled "Chouji's determination" so there is definitely something Kishi planned for him. It's also likely to involve Ino. So yeah, there is a chance for some Chou/Ino to be developed very soon. (which is kind of a surprise for me because I thought ShikaTema would be first, out of all the pairings)

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously don't think Sakura's confession was actually fake, but it seems like that because of her intent. I think she did genuinely confess to Naruto, but Naruto suspected otherwise because of what Sakura said. It is not impossible for Sakura to love Naruto as well, especially since she's seen the kind of man he is. She realized Naruto sacrificed his happiness for her and was willing to do anything for his friends, as opposed to Sasuke. She did show she cared a lot for Naruto, at least compared to when they first met.

I still don't want her to be with Naruto.

Though reading 520 (?), Chouji and Ino might not happen. I got the feeling from Ino that she saw both of them as her brothers, especially with her flashback of Asuma's last words to her. Older sister looking out for her younger brothers/more responsible sister looking out for her irresponsible brothers?

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I seriously don't think Sakura's confession was actually fake, but it seems like that because of her intent. I think she did genuinely confess to Naruto, but Naruto suspected otherwise because of what Sakura said. It is not impossible for Sakura to love Naruto as well, especially since she's seen the kind of man he is. She realized Naruto sacrificed his happiness for her and was willing to do anything for his friends, as opposed to Sasuke. She did show she cared a lot for Naruto, at least compared to when they first met.

I still don't want her to be with Naruto.
    You know i really don't understand Sakura at all at this point. Which makes it so I just can't get excited about NarutoXSakura anymore.

Before i thought i had an understanding of her character and the potential of what she could become. Now i just don't have any idea what's going on with her or what's going to happen. She used to be full of fire, now she just kneels over the wounded looking all angsty.

I thought her attempt on Sasuke would signal her rediscovering her resolve as a shinobi but then at the end she just allowed Naruto to take up all the responsibility again. She just thoroughly confuses me.

I look at characters like Ino and Karin and think how much i would perfer they were in line to be Naruto's love interest. She needs to redeem herself as a shinobi, before i can get behind any pairing business involving her. She needs to show at least as much spunk as Ino. Sakura's supposed to be the heroine but right now she definitely doesn't live up to that title.

-----------------

I have to agree about Ino and Chouji too. That looked a lot like a sibling dynamic to me. Too bad. With Chouji looking unlikely and Sai being pretty much a lost cause. Ino pairings seem like desolate territory at right now.

Man, i would love it if she somehow miraculously jumped in as Naruto's squeeze. I know it's a pipe dream but all his current love interests seem so much more boring than her at the moment.
    Last edited by Jammin; March 03, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jessie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    It looks pretty much like it. But I can't help but think about Ino remembering Asuma's last words seem to hold a significance in the future for her character development. I think she could very well remember about Asuma's saying to her to not lose to Sakura in love. And not only that, Kishi did say he had something planned for Chouji in the Jump Fiesta interview. The new chapter was titled "Chouji's determination" so there is definitely something Kishi planned for him. It's also likely to involve Ino. So yeah, there is a chance for some Chou/Ino to be developed very soon. (which is kind of a surprise for me because I thought ShikaTema would be first, out of all the pairings)
    If you notice though, Kishi cut off the part in the flashback where he told Ino not to lose in love. Kishi only focused on her bond with Shika and Choji.

I have to agree with M3J and Jammin. Shika, Ino, and Choji are coming off more as siblings. The same way Inoichi, Shikaku, and Choza act like brothers. Before Choji and Shika were just friends. Ino didn't seem as close to either of them. But now they are all but family with the strongest bonds among the teams. Romance might ruin that "sibling" dynamic. Kishi will continue to ship tease Ino with Shikamaru(notice how Shika always is the one to catch her) and Choji romantically. But I don't see him crossing that line now.

If you are right though and Ino/Cho is coming, than I would be happy. Cause that would mean ShikaTema will then happen. Shikamaru still has to lead his troops back to help Gaara against the Kages. I could totally picture Shika rescuing Temari which would harken back to the Sasuke Rescue Arc when she saved him. That seems like the perfect ending to his story. Somebody has to make the third generation of Ino-Shika-Cho.

Too bad. With Chouji looking unlikely and Sai being pretty much a lost cause. Ino pairings seem like desolate territory at right now.

Man, i would love it if she somehow miraculously jumped in as Naruto's squeeze. I know it's a pipe dream but all his current love interests seem so much more boring than her at the moment.
    But look at it this way. A lot of Ino's problems as a character relate to romance. People hated her for being a shallow Sasuke fangirl. In this recent episode of the anime she was crying about Sasuke. A guy she supposedly got over years ago. Fans HATED that. That was the low point for Ino as a character.

Now look at Ino during the war. She has been totally different since she hooked back up with Shika and Choji. She is assertive, shown improvement in her skills, and being a great teammate to her "boys". Sasuke who?

Perhaps Ino is one of those characters who are better of with no love interests. Romance ruins her. Even if she married Shikamaru or Choji, the only two boys she is close to, it still feels kind of wrong now.

Look at Sakura. She was great standing with Chiyo against Sasori. But when she gets dragged into the Team 7 love nonsense, she suffers.
    Last edited by Jessie; March 04, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Suppose you're right on all accounts, Jess. But the fact that Kishi cut off the part where Asuma told Ino not to lose to Sakura in love, I can't help but think Kishi is planning to surprise us. They do come off more as siblings, I agree very much with you, though.

Shika saving Temari would be awesome. It'd come full circle with the very moment Shika started becoming attracted with Temari. Which wouldn't surprise me since even Kakashi went full circle with Zabuza and Haku.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie
    But look at it this way. A lot of Ino's problems as a character relate to romance. People hated her for being a shallow Sasuke fangirl. In this recent episode of the anime she was crying about Sasuke. A guy she supposedly got over years ago. Fans HATED that. That was the low point for Ino as a character.

Now look at Ino during the war. She has been totally different since she hooked back up with Shika and Choji. She is assertive, shown improvement in her skills, and being a great teammate to her "boys". Sasuke who?

Perhaps Ino is one of those characters who are better of with no love interests. Romance ruins her. Even if she married Shikamaru or Choji, the only two boys she is close to, it still feels kind of wrong now.

Look at Sakura. She was great standing with Chiyo against Sasori. But when she gets dragged into the Team 7 love nonsense, she suffers.
    You have a point. I can't deny that it was hard to like her when she was Sasuke obsessed but i think that is more about Sasuke than it was romance in general. It's pretty hard to like anybody when they are being Sasuke obsessed....including Naruto.

Romance almost always adds emotional nuance to an established character. When i look at Sakura and Hinata, what makes them less than i would like them to be isn't anything to do with them being love interests and everything to do with them being not much else. Neither character has really shown much reason for me to be interested in them individually in a loooong time.

So i think, now that Ino has established herself, it's the perfect time for her to enter the romance game. As long as she doesn't lose the spark she has going right now.

-----------------------------

I was talking about Inuyasha recently in another thread and that reminded me of how much more satisfying the romance of that series was and pretty much all the main characters had a romance going. They always kept up their independent value as a character even after they became part of a romance subplot.

That's what sets Ino and Karin apart from Sakura and Hinata to me. Ino established her value last chapter. As a result i feel it's easy to get enthusiastic about her. Sakura and Hinata haven't done that in quite some time, so i feel less than enthusiastic about them.

Which is why i think both of them needs to step up and reestablish themselves as interesting and valuable characters, before they advance in the romance game. This war is a good opportunity for it, and it NEEDS to happen.
    Last edited by Jammin; March 04, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You know how I could see this manga end?

A flashback 10 years in the future, and we see a young boy in the academy saying that he will become the next Hokage.
    This boy is Naruto's son (we will then learn if Sakura or Hinata is the mother), and then following this boy for a chapter, we will learn of the "New world" that Naruto created and what happened to everyone.

We will most likely see Naruto as Hokage with Sakura and Shikamaru as advisor.
    And we might learn from other people as well and see who is paired with who and what they have become.

And he would probably have comrade in his class who would be the children of people we know (ex: Two kids from Ino and Choji, and one of Shikamaru... the new Ino-Shika-Cho trio, etc).

That would make sense to me, and it would show that the next generation is already on the move!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    You know how I could see this manga end?

A flashback 10 years in the future, and we see a young boy in the academy saying that he will become the next Hokage.
    This boy is Naruto's son (we will then learn if Sakura or Hinata is the mother), and then following this boy for a chapter, we will learn of the "New world" that Naruto created and what happened to everyone.

We will most likely see Naruto as Hokage with Sakura and Shikamaru as advisor.
    And we might learn from other people as well and see who is paired with who and what they have become.

And he would probably have comrade in his class who would be the children of people we know (ex: Two kids from Ino and Choji, and one of Shikamaru... the new Ino-Shika-Cho trio, etc).

That would make sense to me, and it would show that the next generation is already on the move!
    That is a very real possibility but that better not be all we get.....

I mean, it's too late for romance to make a contribution to the characters and the story at that point, or even really count as romance in any real sense. The whole thing would just become a footnote. Man, if all the romantic stuff just got skipped and thrown into the epilogue like that i would be soooo pissed off.

Plus.....
    Spoiler: Harry potter spoiler show

------------------------

What i would like to happen, in my own little magical dreamworld, is for Sakura or Hinata to rediscover the part of themselves that made me excited about them.

For Sakura to step up and prove herself worthy of the title of Tsunade's apprentice. The one that faced down Sasori without so much as blinking and almost broke Sai's face for being an A-hole. She was so close to being to Naruto what Tsunade was to Jiriaya.

For Hinata to become the awesome girl who charged in and took on Nagato. Without the slightest chance of victory, and best of all she didn't even blush when she openly admitted why she did it. She might never have been very good at standing up for herself but in that moment she was fantastic at standing up for Naruto.

Those are love interests i can get excited about. I want to see one of them impose herself on Nartuo, as somebody who cares about him and will not let take on his burdens alone and give him no say in the matter.
    Last edited by Jammin; March 04, 2011 at 01:00 PM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast