Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Toriko Anime Discussion Thread

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toriko

Personally I didn't like the OP that much, but it certainly had the old-school/Dragonball vibe, which really fits Toriko well!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished watching the first real episode of toriko raw and it went sort of like:

Pro's
    1)the style of animation fits well with the story, the opening is very good and the music is great

2)the battle with the Galalawani was well done and had some interesting sequences, I don't mind that his head didn't come off

3)the meat looks very tasty and that means something in this kind of story.

Con's
    1)episode felt kinda rushed since the entire Galalawani part takes the full 1st and 2nd manga chapters which are almost 90 pages so you can guess they missed a bit of good looking scenes like Toriko lighting his wood cigar and where Tom rides the waves and Toriko isn't bothered.

2)the beasts don't look as intimidating as they do in the OVA and in comparison the Galalawani looks like a baby croc(of course since the budget is different) also the face expressions after eating is much better in the OVA and I kinda expected something similar since I know that TOEI is very good with over the top face expressions, look at Gash bell or One piece
    Last edited by susanoo13; April 11, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susanoo13 View Post
    Just finished watching the first real episode of toriko raw and it went sort of like:

Pro's
    1)the style of animation fits well with the story

2)the music is great

3)the meat looks very tasty and that means something in this kind of story.

Con's
    1)episode felt kinda rushed since the entire Galalawani part takes the full 1st and 2nd manga chapters which are almost 90 pages so you can guess they missed a bit of good looking scenes like Toriko lighting his wood cigar and where Tom rides the waves and Toriko isn't bothered.

2)the beasts don't look as intimidating as they do in the OVA(of course since the budget is different) also the face expressions after eating is much better in the OVA and I kinda expected something similar since I know that TOEI is very good with over the top face expressions, look at Gash bell or One piece
    Don;t forget they censored it. A LOT. Seriously what the hell Toei?

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought TOEI don't do much censoring, they are pretty used to showing blood and they did show blood at that timeslot in several shows.

The thing is that goddamn bill which makes them censor almost anything, hope it gets cancelled somehow :/

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Drago's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko Episode 2 is out on AnimeFans.tv

Click here to Watch Online/Download -->http://www.animefans.tv/downloads/stream/8892.html

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get all the whine. It was pretty stantard good long-running Jump adaptation. Animation wise not too remarkable or imaginative, but good to watch, not painfully bad. As for the story, atleast nothing was added (fillers). Some details were cut, some pretty cool, but mostly smartly. I bet the idea was to fit the Galala Croc in one episode, so new watchers get a firm idea right from the pilot watch the series is about. Of course, there are some edits to make it more child friendly. I wonder if smoking is completly edited out, or was it just to save time in the pilot.

My only issue was same as with the manga at first; it's entertaining allright, but shallow. Lacks substance. That's gladly fixed though if and when this makes it to the late Mammoth Reagal/Ice Hell arcs where it really starts to develope a plot.

It's soo Jump. Nakama, Effort, Super powers! It's hard not to get sucked in the wacky adeventure with whole orchestra playing on the background. If I had to rate it, it would be stable 7/10.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the fact that the croc arc was done in a single episode was mainly because it was animated before. For some reason I found the animation better and the shorter runtime didn't disturb me either. I liked the first episode but I do hope that they aren't going to animate everything fast due to the amount of chapters Toriko is ahead. Take it easy and keep certain things mysterious

Overall: 8/10
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, seems like what I watched titled as "Toriko 02" was actually the ova. I know see the real first episode, and it was pretty much as good. Thoogh I don't see the point why Tom isn't darker skinned anymore. And it was also rather disssapointing that "knife" actually doesn't cut, that's just silly. Otherwise it was better than the ova, with spacing and music. I also see why they added a hint of the bad guys already.

I indeed also hope they won't rush it. I don't want half-assed fillers. Oh and about that reporter in the end; she wasn't in the manga or was she?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Actually, seems like what I watched titled as "Toriko 02" was actually the ova. I know see the real first episode, and it was pretty much as good. Thoogh I don't see the point why Tom isn't darker skinned anymore. And it was also rather disssapointing that "knife" actually doesn't cut, that's just silly. Otherwise it was better than the ova, with spacing and music. I also see why they added a hint of the bad guys already.

I indeed also hope they won't rush it. I don't want half-assed fillers. Oh and about that reporter in the end; she wasn't in the manga or was she?
    Nope. Reporter chick is anime-only character. That worries me...

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really disappointed by the fact that they made Toriko's knife into a butter knife that can't actually cut anything.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched episode 3 raw a while ago and again we have another arc wrapped in 1 episode (chapters 3-7), so next episode we already get an introduction of a new character - Coco.

One thing that I did like about this episode is that the face expression that in my opinion were a bit lacking in the previous episode are very well don in this one, again the soundtrack is amazing but I fear for the series to have a very high amount of fillers, on the better side fillers of Toriko could be getting the full course menu of the other 4 heavenly kings which could end up being very interesting

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The series is probably rushing the boring parts (well they were boring to me at least). I can't wait for this upcoming arc, it was the point in the series in which I really started enjoying Toriko. Plus Coco is awesome!

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

They rush too much. Though I do agree that the manga doesn't get interesting untill much later. Also I thought the gorillas looked worse than in the manga. AND FILLER CHARACTER? Why, oh why....

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Terry will travel to Ice Hell with Toriko and Komatsu, or this just an OP sequence frame and nothing more?

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact of the filler character is not that bad, the bad part is that it was inserted as a replacement scene or seeing the guards thinking about the stuffed gorilla and then it really looked scary in contradiction with the anime, I don't get it it's supposed to be bloodthirsty beasts but somehow it still doesn't get to me but there is also the possibility like CrudeCross said that Toei might start putting the effort in making the episodes at the neccessary level when the story will have more flesh to it which is very soon, at a normal pace it would be episode 10/11, in this pace it's episode 5 which will equal chapter 20 or so.
    Last edited by susanoo13; April 19, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast