Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: One Piece: An Epic Tale or Epic Fail?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Piece is an Epic Tale

25 78.13%
  • No its Not!

0 0%
  • This thread is an Epic Fail

6 18.75%
  • Don't care either way...

1 3.13%
Thread Closed

Thread: One Piece: Epic Tale or Epic Fail?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece: Epic Tale or Epic Fail?

I know everyone here is a One Piece fan (or hater) otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum. So I wanted to propose an idea and wanted to discuss this premise:

"One Piece is one of the great works of art to come out of human history like Beowulf and Gilgamesh. An Epic Tale in the form of a manga (or animation) as opposed to the recited poems of old. It showcases what makes mankind unique in their yearning for freedom, the politics of oppression, romance and the reaching for dreams through the journey of the strawhats as they overcome the greatest of obstacles and discover the secrets of their world. This epic tale will be a great piece to discuss and study for its in depth depiction of the struggles of humanity for years to come."

Personally, I have found One Piece to be an epic tale because of scenes like Blackbeard's "People's dreams never die!" speech and Dr. Hiruluk's last words "When does a man die?..." Those scenes have greatly impacted my outlook on society and understanding of people in real life.

If you enjoy One Piece, not just as an entertainment piece, but also a source of inspiration and learning, I would like to know what you think about the above premise and if you have any favorite and memorable scenes that you think makes One Piece an epic tale.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Channy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Piece: Epic Tale or Epic Fail?

What i absolutely Love about OP is the Bonds of friendship through out the story line and its definitely a big part of the story like the first time i saw the CP9 saga i was just amazed by the limitations and the quarrels that Luffy went through to save one friend that in its entirety just amazed me

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Mad Wanze's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

We must wait till One piece ends to know how legendary it'll be. Til now it sure IS epic, for the reasons you said. Oda is a wise person and his messages are deep and smart, and are beyond pure entertainment. Another great moment was Doflamingo speech at the war arc (whoever wins is justice: defintely true) and Bon Clay's death (?) (Let us meet again in the okama fields: hymn to true friendship). I hope we'll have more moments like those
    Spoiler show

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Mad Wanze here. As much as we are all One Piece fans, an epic tale is that which is remembered beyond it's time for many great reasons.

So for me, to class it as an "epic tale" it will not only have to finish with equal or higher standards than it's current form, BUT ALSO remain epic long after we've read through the entire thing once.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well for now OP is simply the best Manga on the market... (IMHO) of course..

BUt maybe in 1000 or so years if Op is still a well known and respected text (or series of texts) then perhaps we can consider it one of the great works of the ages..

Either way it's all pure win.

It's on. Like Donkey Kong

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member frontaLobotomy's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

The manga is great, can't say I like the anime all that much though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with what Mad Wanze said. I guess what I was hoping to ask was for a prediction. I doubt that One Piece will actually be world famous hundreds of years from now like Shakespere's literature. But "does the literary value of its in depth story worth being studied and considered an epic tale?" was kinda what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Wanze View Post
    Another great moment was Doflamingo speech at the war arc (whoever wins is justice: defintely true) and Bon Clay's death (?) (Let us meet again in the okama fields: hymn to true friendship). I hope we'll have more moments like those
    Those were great moments that I forgot about too. Thanks for pointing them out. I also want to add a couple more:
    -Tower of Justice scene where Robin says if she's allowed to declare her wish, she wants to be taken out to sea with her friends.
    -Luffy's arguement with Vivi where he tells her, for once, to try risking her friends' lives along with her.

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sarmad's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Because it is a Manga, and although it has an enormous readership, i doubt that One Piece will be considered an Epic Tale like Beowulf, from a global perspective, any time soon.
    Maybe decades after it ended, but that is obviously just speculation. If Oda manages to pull off a good middle part and ending, which naturally are the hardest part in epic tales, then One Piece will definitely rise. Like Wanze and the others already mentioned, and I agree

If you discuss One Piece' influence on people, then i think it is a whole another discussion!
    The examples you named, although just two out of many, have taught me somethings, i must admit. One Piece, at least for me, is beyond entertainment! And i'm not saying, that it just motivates or inspires oneself.
    Certain moments in the story set a change of paradigm fin people and this is what makes it so invaluable as a story. It is so enormously rich in moments of greatness! I could read certain parts over and over again just for certain Dialogues or simple words!

And more .. you also have a lot of moments of great joy, humor, relieve, sadness.. you name it!

If One Piece ever finds itself in the ranks of "Stories that must be read" than it is exactly for these certain moments in the story that just grab you by the heart.

PS: the Scene with Blackbeard was truly one to remember. But it is the bar scene and what Blackbeard says afterwards, that makes it complete
    Simply exhilarating!
    Last edited by Sarmad; February 08, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: typos and corrections
    -_-

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ~Joshua~'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing I love about One Piece is that it's huge and long. The same thing I love about a good videogame. The world of One Piece is so vast and lengthy and as deep as we are in the manga there are still many things yet to be seen. We've seen all the characters grow physically and mentally. There are so many people, so many attributes to this manganime. I'm glad there are no votes for it being an epic fail, because then that would be an epic fail.
    "I pray for the strength to change what I can,
    The inability to accept what I can't,
    And the incapacity to tell the difference...."

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, it kind of is and isn't an epic tale, depending on how you look at it.

In terms of how big it is in popularity, it's nowhere near an epic tale. Being a manga, it's pretty much confined to manga fans. While mangas are huge in Japan, elsewhere they have a pretty small fan-base, so I doubt it's ever going to reach the status of stuff such as Beowulf and the Iliad and Odyssey.

However, in terms of it's storyline and plot and character, etc, I think it is an epic tale. It has the length, and it has the archetypes that define epics. And as people have said, it also has the entertainment factor, with a little bit of humor and romance thrown in, and enough serious moments (like the ones you mentioned) to keep it from being just any other cartoon/anime/manga. In terms of how the story has evolved and what we are yet to see, it definitely qualifies as an epic. But, sadly, I don't think it will ever get big enough in popularity to be defined as one. Kind of a loss for all the people who have never heard of it.

PS: I just envisioned it becoming that big an earning the status, and me in school 100 years in the future learning about it. Ah, what an awesome English class that would be lol

Thread Closed