Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Anime/Manga Fathers

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Best and Worst Anime/Manga Fathers

Since we've one for mothers, and since its Father's Day, lets have one for fathers too. Also don't forget that here is a category for worst father too. In fact someone comes to my mind who can be counted in both categories: Namikaze Minato.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best and Worst Anime/Manga Fathers

Worst
    Gendo Ikari - Pretty sure what he did to Shinji most are familiar with.

Charlez zi Britannia -
    Spoiler: Code Geass show
    Last edited by saladesu; June 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spoiler tags

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason i kinda sympathize with ikari.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Genzo Ikari is the worst kind of father.
    He's the reason why everything in eva had to happen as it did and he couldn't get over the death of his wife.
    No, I'm wrong..I figured he was just using her. Not even long after his wife deceased, he got it on with another woman.
    What's worse is how he acts all grand and proud when he is a sick bastard inside.
    I don't sympathize with him but I know how someone like him will make a great villain in a seinen.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Ugh, I just got CG spoiled..but its okay.
    For the "best" father part I would nominate Nagisa's father, Akio Furukawa from Clannad.
    I find him a very responsible individual and one that will not let things get him down easily.
    He's also a great grandfather.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Genzo Ikari is the worst kind of father.
    He's the reason why everything in eva had to happen as it did and he couldn't get over the death of his wife.
    No, I'm wrong..I figured he was just using her. Not even long after his wife deceased, he got it on with another woman.
    What's worse is how he acts all grand and proud when he is a sick bastard inside.
    I don't sympathize with him but I know how someone like him will make a great villain in a seinen.
    Ah aren't you being a bit harsh on him? I always felt that he's pretty much the same as his son...except that he was genius and ambitious. Which made him even lonelier and more incapable of communicating with anybody. Not even with his son.

for someone like him,losing his wife,probably the only person with whom he could communicate must be equivalent of losing the whole world.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Minato is definitely a favorite for me as well <3

For worst, I think I tend to agree with those already mentioned - Ikari and Charles.

Another favorite dad would be Thors, from Vinland Saga. He's incredibly powerful and strong, but when he tired of fighting he gave it all up to live life with his family. And of course, the clincher would be how he sacrificed himself for Thorfinn, throwing away his sword although he had won whereas Askeladd was playing dirty. He also has an awesome quote - "A true warrior needs no sword".

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot very good fathers but these are the ones that i am remembering now and that are indeed awesome

Minato- No need to explain why

Thors- He was also a great father and a great human

Daizemon Kaze - he isn't actually a father , but i see him like that Wanna know why? Read Gantz

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ao no Exorcist: Can there really be any father more worse than
    Spoiler show

I agree on Thors being one of the best fathers.
    Van Hohenheim from "FMA" would be another good example, as I think that he really cared a lot about his sons, even though his (early) actions made it looks the other way around.

14. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought of another great, or rather, hilarious dad! Haruhi's dad, in Ouran High School Host Club! He's so funny, and he's cross-dresser! He's always worrying about Haruhi, and shows his concern in the most hilarious ways (tailing her at the supermarket). Even if most of his actions are more for comedy relief and probably irritate Haruhi more than help her, I think it's obvious that he loves her a lot and does what he does out of concern for her.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

well I guess Hayate (from combat butler) parents can enter the worse category.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gendou...well, it depends on the depictions of him. In the original anime, he is the most screwed up sunuvabatch, and one hell of a cold hearted father. But with regards to the other manga's namely Angelic days (AKA Girlfriend of Steel 2) and Shinji Ikari raising project which both depict the alternate worlds of NGE, you actually see Gendou being a really passionate man. I mean, for starters, he changed his last name to his wife's. Also, there's a scene where Shinji's mum (forgot her name :S) asks about him and Shinji, and she's just like, "What, you're too shy to talk to him?" And there was that other scene, where Shinji's mum is just like, Sooo, Gendou didn't believe he was capable of loving anyone, and wasn't very good at being loved, hence the estrangement from Shinji.

As for Hayate no Gotoku, . Those parents are hilarious, man.

Which reminds me, of Gon's father, Gin! (Or is it Jin?) Whatever, he's just like, sorry dudes, I can't worry about my family, I'm too busy being a Hunter, yo. Also, don't come find me, I don't really wanna see you dude.

And plus with all that crazy crap going down in Greed island, nstuff...he's just totally messing around with Gon.
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post

Albert de Blois from Gosick

I have never been fond of that character, I have never liked him; but after watching episode 19 I dislike Albert de Blois passionately. He is a monster; a horrible, cruel, twisted and despicable monster because he doesn’t deserve to be called human or man IMO. What he did to both Cordelia and Victorique was unforgivable and what he is doing right now to Victorique is deplorable.
    He is such a bad father that he doesn’t even deserve to be called that. He used his own daughter just as she was a mere tool, he never treated her as a human being let alone as his daughter. He didn’t love Victorique at all, not even a little bit.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst father IMO is Sawada Iemitsu from KHR. He disappears for two years, comes back and forces coerce his son to be a head of a criminal organization and doesn't tell his wife what's really going on- even though he or their son could die at any given day.

On the contrary, the father I admire the most is Thorfinn's dad from Vinland Saga.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Iemitsu is ridiculously irresponsible. Although I think the mangaka intended it in a funny/humorous way, but still =/
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, even though Iemitsu's antics were shown in a humorous light, I could never really laugh. :/ The fact that Tsuna wasn't overjoyed when he found out his father was coming home in the Varia arc makes me wonder what kind of relationship they had had in the past.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast