Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Japanese Urban Legends

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Urban Legends

Since we have a thread for folklore, why not one for urban legends? I was just translating Nurarihyon no Mago a while ago, and had to research on a heap of urban legends that were mentioned so I could write a translation note to go with the translation. So here we go, some of the common urban legends in Japan; or at least the ones that were mentioned in Mago ch140!

Kuchisake Onna [口裂け女] lit. Ripped-Mouth Woman
    Spoiler show

Aka Manto [赤マント] lit. Red Cloak
    Spoiler show

Kubinashi Rider [首なしライダー] lit. Headless Rider
    Spoiler show

Merry-san [メリーさん]
    Spoiler show

Akai Heya [赤い部屋] lit. Red Room
    Spoiler show

Jinmenken [人面犬] lit. Human-faced Dog
    Spoiler show

Sanbonashi no Rika-chan [三本足のリカちゃん] lit. Three-legged Rika-chan
    Spoiler show

What do you think of these urban legends? Have you heard of others? Have you heard variations of the same legend? Does your country have a similar urban legend? Have you seen them being used in other media (eg anime/manga)?

Kubinashi Rider is probably quite well-known as it was in Durarara!!, though DRRR!! put a bit of a twist on it by a) making her a woman b) linking her to Dullahans instead

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Urban Legends

Damn..those are scary.

I didn't know Japanese have such scary urban legends
    I esp found the red room one scary and the one with rika and the one with merry, actually all of them sounds so real.

Well, I don't have anything to share but I heard a few and haven't confirmed it, one is that if you take a photo with 3 person in it, the person in the middle will die..somehow and another is that at the stroke of midnight, when you stare at the mirror something evil will happen.
    I heard those since I was a kid and gosh, I can't sleep the night I heard them.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to red room website.........and the funny thing is I HAVE ADBLOCK! So, I could not get the pop up window to show.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Damn..those are scary.

I didn't know Japanese have such scary urban legends
    I esp found the red room one scary and the one with rika and the one with merry, actually all of them sounds so real.
    You found them scary too? Good to know I'm not alone

I actually had chills running down my spine when I read the story about Merry-san

Quote Quote:
    Well, I don't have anything to share but I heard a few and haven't confirmed it, one is that if you take a photo with 3 person in it, the person in the middle will die..somehow and another is that at the stroke of midnight, when you stare at the mirror something evil will happen.
    I heard those since I was a kid and gosh, I can't sleep the night I heard them.
    Ooh, I've never heard this before! (though I hadn't heard about the ones I posted either till I had to research them, heh) I suppose the one with the 3 persons photo thing is a story about a certain place only? Or at a certain time? I mean, trios take photos all the time and no-one dies

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    I went to red room website.........and the funny thing is I HAVE ADBLOCK! So, I could not get the pop up window to show.
    That's really funny!

But, well, if there is an actual website for it... I doubt anything would happen... Now that I think about it, the Red Room story kinda reminds me of the series Jigoku Shoujo, although that one is a little different.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Halloween was a week ago, but it's never too late for urban legends! LJ user, lilme_arix, has compiled a series of origin stories about Japanese supernatural monsters.

You can recognize a few from Inuyasha, Nurarihyon no Mago and Naruto! (Possibly a lot of other titles as well.)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE DRRR!!, so when I saw the Headless Rider one, I was like, "Durarara!! for the win! xD" But yeah those are scary. O__O I heard about the Merry-San one on YouTube. Perfect Crime Love Letter. Sends chills down my spine. Especially the second Red Room one! When I saw the red eye part, I was like, "Oh my God that's so creepy! D:" But I love scaring myself so do you know of any others?

New Reply