Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did you get introduced to the Manga/Anime world?

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you get introduced to the Manga/Anime world?

It just came to my mind and I wanted to find out,
    how did all of the people here get introduced to the Manga/Anime world? I know how the media plays a big part but I'm still interested in the stories of you guys, and what keeps you in this world?

Okay, since it's my first time starting this thread, it'll be cool to know how..

you got introduced to manga/anime
    became addicted/ or started to keep watching them/ otaku level , why you decided to stay.
    like them so much?

I dunno if this thread is weird or not but here goes, this is mine:
    I got introduced to manga and anime when I was, around 12. I was playing a Bleach fighting game that I just bought for my ds.
    I thought the characters were cool but meh, its just cartoon, that was my mindset.
    I was never into anime and more into movies and dramas but then, by coincidence, a channel in my country is airing Bleach that is dubbed in mandarin. So of course, I started watching it in the middle of Bounto and despite (later I found out) that its a bad arc, I found it's really cool and I started to watch each time a new episode came out, together with Naruto that was airing.
    Back then I don't have access to internet but when I finally did, I immediately checked out Bleach and because of the long run of episodes, I got used to reading subtitles and got really impressed by the shounen genre and the animation.
    That's when I naturally started checking things out and I guess that's how I got into everything. What really made me stay/keep watching new animes is the Japanese culture and the characters they create, together with the emotions they can stirred in me though. I really like how everything in anime is so different from reality and enjoy my stay in each anime that I decided to choose to follow.

..I think I wrote a little too much.
    Anyway, what about you?

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did you get introduced to the Manga/Anime world?

Nice thread, Zeltrax!

For me, it started with the Anime hour AXN channel had (dunno if you watched it back then, zeltrax! I still remember back then it was SCV Ch19...) when I was about 8. Over the years this became 2 hours, but anyway I would watch it every day with my big brother We watched series like Slam Dunk, Rurouni Kenshin, Flame of Recca, Ranma 1/2, Love Hina...

Initially they were all Japanese audio with English subs, but then somewhere along the way (I think I was about 10 when this happened) they decided to change to English dubs, which sound really gross. Then my brother discovered he could download anime off the internet, and that was when he would download subbed anime and watch it with me The first subbed series we watched were like Evangelion and Naruto

As for manga, I started reading them shortly after discovering anime. My brother would buy the Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk etc manga (I still have them) in Chinese. He was also the one who introduced me to scanlations.

Elder siblings are such big influences~~

Like you, I'm staying in the fandom because I like the culture that is portrayed. I like the originality and the characters. When I read manga/watch anime, I feel like I'm in a different world And when I was older and understood better, I found that manga/anime could also teach life lessons, and they were deep and profound, and more than just entertainment. I guess what I like best about anime/manga is the versatility of the medium - the sky is the limit!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I was already a fan of those japanese series like Changeman, Flashman, Cybercop and Jaspion (all grandparents of Power Rangers), so in 1993/94 a local TV channel announced an animated japanese serie and i tried it.
    The anime back then was Saint Seiya. That was my very first anime and I loved it.

Last edited by Asclepius; February 03, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Nice thread, Zeltrax!

For me, it started with the Anime hour AXN channel had (dunno if you watched it back then, zeltrax! I still remember back then it was SCV Ch19...) when I was about 8. Over the years this became 2 hours, but anyway I would watch it every day with my big brother We watched series like Slam Dunk, Rurouni Kenshin, Flame of Recca, Ranma 1/2, Love Hina...

Initially they were all Japanese audio with English subs, but then somewhere along the way (I think I was about 10 when this happened) they decided to change to English dubs, which sound really gross. Then my brother discovered he could download anime off the internet, and that was when he would download subbed anime and watch it with me The first subbed series we watched were like Evangelion and Naruto

As for manga, I started reading them shortly after discovering anime. My brother would buy the Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk etc manga (I still have them) in Chinese. He was also the one who introduced me to scanlations.
    I heard about it, I'm not sure why though.. I really hope that people back then didn't though that they were cartoons. I know a lot of people that mistaken anime for cartoons, I did once, with Bleach.
    Whoa, the first subbed series being Evangelion? I heard a lot of things about it and how it plays with your mind, never got to watching it but I plan to during this weekend.
    Heh, my school library have the complete collection of Slam Dunk.
    I do hope that more libraries will have more manga from around the world, spread the love and introduce more people

Quote Quote:
    Elder siblings are such big influences~~
    I have a younger sister and I forgotten why but I think I did one of the weirdest thing I ever did in my life and let her watch Toradora. I don't know, but she really liked Taiga and from then on, I'll always show her anime that I like and whoa, she also like them.
    Now she's like me, badgering me for new episodes every once in a while
    Oh, she's a huge fan of Toaru Kagayaku no Railgun, I think maybe she can relate to some characters or maybe she find Misaka cool and made her her idol or something. I see how characters can affect viewers and make us love them!

Quote Quote:
    Like you, I'm staying in the fandom because I like the culture that is portrayed. I like the originality and the characters. When I read manga/watch anime, I feel like I'm in a different world And when I was older and understood better, I found that manga/anime could also teach life lessons, and they were deep and profound, and more than just entertainment. I guess what I like best about anime/manga is the versatility of the medium - the sky is the limit!
    Yes yes! it's good to go into the anime world now and then and yes, I didn't understand them back then too but when I grow older I started to realize what this or that anime is trying to convey, now that I do I can apply it to real lives and try not to make any mistakes.
    I'm staying because I'm sure I can learn other things from the anime/manga world and I enjoy it, so why not

Quote Quote:
    I was already a fan of those japanese series like Changeman, Flashman, Cybercop and Jaspion (all grandparents of Power Rangers), so in 1993/94 a local TV channel announced an animated japanese serie and i tried it.
    The anime back then was Saint Seiya. That was my very first anime and I loved it.
    I wasn't a fan of those but I was a fan of power rangers, I esp love dino thunder, back then when I was a kid
    I think power rangers originated from Japan too..correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah, Saint Seiya, it is quite a long manga and has generated a huge fanbase. I can see why it brings people into anime/manga because of those flashy attacks and the action it delivers!
    Last edited by Zeltrax; February 03, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'ld say that it happened twice to me. After I watched a lot of anime when I was a child, I totally stopped until last year. A recap:

Must've been when I was six or seven years old, that Pokémon became super popular. I had the luck of beeing allowed to get a gameboy colour with Pokemon blue edition for my birthday back then, some friends of my parents had to buy it in hamburg even because it wasn't available at all anymore in my home town.
    I think the order was handgeld game -> card game -> TV show. Then Dragonball became popular as well, so naturally I watched it (that might've been two years or so later though) and I discovered Digimon as a rival to Pokemon early on. Actually by some aspects I liked Digimon much better. Some creatures looked way cooler and one or two characters definitly were so, but in the end it couldn't really compete.
    With 11 or 12 or so when I was in a hospital it happened that the library there sold old books for only a few cents, I got some volumes of Ranma 1/2 there for I think 50cent/volume. At that time, iirc I only watched Dragon Ball Z anymore.
    Yu-Gi-Oh cards were also super popular at some point, but I think I never watched much of the anime.
    After that I didnt follow any anime or manga at all anymore, until I saw the old Hellsing series on Viva (German music channel, which at that time probably was better than MTV for the first time - everyone knows the decay of MTV...) which was really captivating me. A huge difference to the rather bold but unbloody Dragon Ball after all, based on a Seinen. Other than the others Hellsing didn't have any popularity, I could still convince some people to watch it (weirdly it's always the same friend of mine ultimately doing so while the others don't follow on such stuff. And nope, that guy doesn't do so because he would be nerdy and didn't know what else to do, it's quite the opposite. Also perhaps the only one of them agreeing that Tarantino is an exeptionally great director, we share a lot personal tastes)
    The last anime I watched in that phase so to say were Ghost in a Shell (on TV) and Cast Away (in cinema). I really liked both of them, but didn't have to do with anime at that time anymore.

The "second phase" began last year. I had Llot of free time after German abitur, and at some point I got bored and searched for Hellsing again (on youtube). From there I got to Space Battleship Yamato (so great, also having these oldschool visual aesthetics).
    Then I recalled the name "Naruto", decided to watch that and got kinda caught by the anime. I liked it, thus decided to continue with the manga to continue the plot, and somehow came to Mangahelpers this way (over circuit via a naruto only page though) as Naruto obviously offered a lot of stuff to discuss about...

Well, here I got somewhat educated to Seinen instead, so I don't care about Naruto anymore. After having already read Shigurui, someone said "Berserk", I thought "cool title", read it, loved it, posted "Hey cmon, Naruto would be so much cooler if it would follow the Berserk type of story now and kill 95% of all minor characters including the villains exept for Sasuke and totally switch around everything, turning into it a traveling story with a search for purpose."
    Someone replied "This rather sounds like you want to turn Naruto into a Seinen!" and ever since I pretty much stopped bothering for the majority of Shounen and read a lot of Seinen

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched Dragon Ball Z for the first time, liked it. Then watched Yu Yu Hakusho and liked that too. Then I saw some anime like Fullmetal Alchemist and InuYasha, though the latter didn't help as much as FMA. Then, I saw the manga for Dragon Ball Z, and there was no turning back. No fillers, so much better for me. Same with Yu Yu Hakusho. I watched Naruto anime, then read manga, and never looked back after. I stopped anime after Naruto anime and stuck to manga.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread.

My first touch with anime was when I were around 3. The Moomin, Alfred J. Kwak and other children shows originated from Europe, but animated in Japan. Those hardly count as anime though. But My Neighbour Totoro is definetly an anime, and that one I saw first when I were 4. I was totally obsessed by it, even though I couldn't read the subtitles. The language didn't matter, it's the kind of story that surpasses such barriers.

My first manga was Akira when I were 8. I know, not the story you'd usually let an 8-year-old to read, but I just devoured pretty much every comic local library had to offer. And can't say it messed me. I liked it back then, and like it now even more when I understand it a lot better.

The first time when I started to acknowledge anime as anime, was during the big Pokémon boom. At that time I were about 11. Which was closely followed by Digimon, and then for a smaller cable audience, Dragonball Z. DB never was that big here, because only few had access to it on cable channel. I heard about it, as well as about Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth which ran around same time. Soon after my mom dragged me to watch critcally acclaimed Spirited Away, I were skeptic. But after watching mind=blown. It also woke the happy memories of Totora that had been sleeping somewhere.

Dragonball manga was published and I bought two first volumes. Then it was withdrawn, with a huge fuzz. It had a little boys penis and a teenage girl taking a shower. OMG! The blashemy! After then there was a few years break.

At 14 I understood the possibilities of internet, and after a friends recommendations started watching anime again. Mostly impressed by Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto. The DB ruckus didn't manage to kill manga in Finland, even though it first seemed like it.

At sometime I noticed, that Dragonball was brought back. I bought vol 20 to read on the ride as we were going to grandpa's place. There was this ad for this incredibly weird, kinda ugly looking new manga. When we arrived we stopped to by some groceries, and there the new series was on the shelf. My dad promised to pay if I wanted it, so I thought, the heck, I might as well give it a shot. So I got One Piece volume 1. Read it; mind=blown.

After that I slowly switched from anime to manga. Around 16 my taste started to evolve, as I crew bored of stuff like Bleach and Naruto (not OP though). My mind was blown few times again, by titles such as Monster and Barefoot Gen. I started to get more into seinen and classic manga. I love manga with psychological suspense and great character developement. I still value shonen also, not just as much as a teen. That's pretty reasonable I think. But things like FMA, GTO, OP, YYH and HxH are undeniably expectional manga (GTO especially is a masterpiece), which deserve their status.

The current developement has been back towards anime. I start less new mangas, and more new animes.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised, but I think I get it.
    Most of the people get into manga/anime from Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, I guess that's because they are a worldwide success

I was introduced to pokemon at a very young age, but if my memory still serves..I kindda forgotten about it somewhere in my childhood.
    Then, it started airing on my tv channel, and I started on it again.
    All that time I thought it was cartoon and because I play the game on the gameboy advance too, I never thought that it's originate from Japan. I was only what, 9 or 10 back then? I was never interested in stuff like where it originated, who made it, and what made it so awesome.
    I just play and watch.

I don't know much about Dragon Ball Z maybe because I never get the chance to sit through the series, I think it once air here in my country and when I paid attention to it.
    I think it was the Cell arc and because I don't understand what's going on, I switched channel
    Maybe if I stayed and watch through that episode, I would get more interested and my fate would be changed!

When I grow up and gotten to enjoy anime/manga, I started revisiting Pokemon and even right now I'm watching the anime. I think its alot better than the English version. I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai too and also found the Dragon Ball series amazing in it's own way.
    But I really have to thank Bleach though, without it, I won't be watching anime..or maybe not

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In the early 2000's when I was in middle school I used to always rush to the tv to watch Toonami on cartoon network when I got home. Dragonball z, Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam G, and Ruroni Kenshin where all on there at that time so I was hooked. Plus the late Adult Swim show used to broadcast Yu Yu Hakusho.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Japanese parents so before I watched Western cartoons, I would watch tape recordings of Anpanman, Doraemon and even Crayon Shin-chan. When I was four I became mesmerized with Sailor Moon, which even my own mother was a fan! My earliest form of manga came from Nakayoshi, and my first taste of shonen came from Korokoro that my brother read. I was twelve when I stopped subscribing.

I watched Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and around the same time, Inuyasha. (All were dubbed.) It wasn't until my obsession with Inuyasha that I discovered the realm of fandom on the Internet. That was my first glimpse about terms like fanfiction and scanlation. My brother and I would read the chapters together every week.

When I was in Grade 8 (the start of high school in Canada), I went to a different school from my friends who were fellow Inuyasha fans. I eventually lost interest in it and anime/manga as a whole since I only kept up with Inuyasha.

Some time in 2006 I became obsessed with Death Note (I was late), and in 2007 I started reading Naruto. Rather than reading a wide range, I often followed one series and one series only. In 2008 I started KHR and Bakuman. From that moment on until last year actually, I would read Naruto, KHR and Bakuman as simply a weekly routine. I wouldn't touch anything else.

It wasn't until the summer of 2009 (graduated from high school and bored) that I began to read a lot more manga. Now I'm here!

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    I heard about it, I'm not sure why though.. I really hope that people back then didn't though that they were cartoons. I know a lot of people that mistaken anime for cartoons, I did once, with Bleach.
    Yeah, that misconception is still around... Whenever people hear I watch anime, 50% of them will be like "oh, those lame cartoons?"

Quote Quote:
    Whoa, the first subbed series being Evangelion? I heard a lot of things about it and how it plays with your mind, never got to watching it but I plan to during this weekend.
    Yup! But I was so young then, I didn't really understand the complexity of it. I just thought the robots were cool I think I should rewatch it. Though I have watched the movies now that I am older and really like them a lot too. Definitely recommended (both series and the movies)! I'm sure you will love it

Quote Quote:
    Heh, my school library have the complete collection of Slam Dunk.
    I do hope that more libraries will have more manga from around the world, spread the love and introduce more people
    My school library had... Fruits Basket. I guess that's because I was from a girls' school I think I have seen some manga at NLB before, too, but not a lot :/ Would be nice if they had more!

Quote Quote:
    I have a younger sister and I forgotten why but I think I did one of the weirdest thing I ever did in my life and let her watch Toradora. I don't know, but she really liked Taiga and from then on, I'll always show her anime that I like and whoa, she also like them.
    Now she's like me, badgering me for new episodes every once in a while
    Haha, take it as bonding time with your sis My bro and I totally bonded through manga and anime, and we often rec series to each other when we find good series You should teach your sis how to find stuff on her own so she doesn't have to badger you!

Quote Quote:
    Oh, she's a huge fan of Toaru Kagayaku no Railgun, I think maybe she can relate to some characters or maybe she find Misaka cool and made her her idol or something. I see how characters can affect viewers and make us love them!
    Well, girls either like guy characters because they're cool and good-looking, or girl characters because they aspire to be like them I guess Misaka is that sort of character you would look up to because she's cool and has a good head on her shoulders and feet firmly planted on the ground.

Quote Quote:
    Yes yes! it's good to go into the anime world now and then and yes, I didn't understand them back then too but when I grow older I started to realize what this or that anime is trying to convey, now that I do I can apply it to real lives and try not to make any mistakes.
    I'm staying because I'm sure I can learn other things from the anime/manga world and I enjoy it, so why not
    I guess it works both ways, anime/manga can teach both good things and bad things But most of the time, good will triumph over evil. But then again, some anime/manga will have naive world views like dreams will definitely come true as long as you work hard etc, which doesn't always happen. Nevertheless, it's enjoyable to watch anime/read manga, and if you pick up some good values or even cool info (I learnt about the Bakumatsu from Rurouni Kenshin, for example), then that's all the better

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ailoveyou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, now that I think about it, I don't think I've actually ever thought about this, lol.

When I was in elementary school, Pokemon was just becoming really popular and everyone was trading the cards in class. I'm guessing the first anime I saw was Pokemon back in the day, but it could've been something else, hmm...

Don't remember what my first manga was, but I started reading Japanese comics after my family moved to the next town over back in 2000 and I started checking them out at the public library, lol.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shojin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thread!!

As for me, I was introduced to anime by my dad back in the early 90s. I got into it a bit more in my middle school years thanks to the SciFi channel and got into it a LOT more in my high school years thanks to Toonami.

Good times I tell ya, good times
    **THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT**
    Project
    and Thread (UPDATE 7/5/14)
    **THE SHIZURU KUWABARA: REIKIBUKI STYLE PROJECT**
    Go here (UPDATE 05/23/12)
    My Shadow Blossom fanfic (Ch.4 is up!)

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    When I was in Grade 8 (the start of high school in Canada), I went to a different school from my friends who were fellow Inuyasha fans. I eventually lost interest in it and anime/manga as a whole since I only kept up with Inuyasha.
    I was introduced to manga by the Inuyasha anime. Some nights I would be to lazy to get up when Family Guy and Futurama were over. Inuyasha was on right after when it was first airing on Adult Swim. After a few weeks I got into it and watched religiously until the final episode aired. When the show ended I had no choice but read the manga, which lead me (eventually) to scanlations. Inuyasha was my first manga, it took me a few months after catching up before I tried something else. I think I got bored while re-reading for the third time

My first anime was Akira, back in the mid-90's. Back then there was very little manga and no scanlations. Fansubs were still on VHS and took a lot of effort to find. Manga/anime was a real sub-culture back then, something I never really pursued. I watched a few other movies that were legitimately available back then, Vampire Hunter D and Nausicaa, that's about it.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I was introduced to manga by the Inuyasha anime. Some nights I would be to lazy to get up when Family Guy and Futurama were over. Inuyasha was on right after when it was first airing on Adult Swim. After a few weeks I got into it and watched religiously until the final episode aired. When the show ended I had no choice but read the manga, which lead me (eventually) to scanlations. Inuyasha was my first manga, it took me a few months after catching up before I tried something else. I think I got bored while re-reading for the third time
    I have a feeling that for those of us who missed out on the Dragonball craze back in the day, Inuyasha was the series that got us hooked on manga/anime. Regardless of what we think of the series now (I remember we were both unhappy about the way the story went after awhile) it's still a series to be grateful for. Without it we wouldn't be here.

Of course there were other anime such as Pokemon being aired here, but I felt too old for it at eleven . XD

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast