Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did you get introduced to the Manga/Anime world?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did you get introduced to the Manga/Anime world?

Too old at eleven? I used to watch until I was around fifteen to seventeen, when it got really childish and horrible.

inb4makingfunofmymentalage

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh original were good. They just kept being milked out and being worse and worse. :\

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I have a feeling that for those of us who missed out on the Dragonball craze back in the day, Inuyasha was the series that got us hooked on manga/anime. Regardless of what we think of the series now (I remember we were both unhappy about the way the story went after awhile) it's still a series to be grateful for. Without it we wouldn't be here.

Of course there were other anime such as Pokemon being aired here, but I felt too old for it at eleven . XD
    I was in my 20's when Pokemon hit, I missed that one. DBZ was a really big deal when I was college, my friends used to watch it. I thought it was cheesy. You are right about Inuyasha, I also think that anyone who missed DBZ but started watching anime before Naruto was big started with Inuyasha. I wouldn't be here either without Inuyasha. I even modded an Inuyasha forum before coming to MH!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I was in my 20's when Pokemon hit, I missed that one. DBZ was a really big deal when I was college, my friends used to watch it. I thought it was cheesy. You are right about Inuyasha, I also think that anyone who missed DBZ but started watching anime before Naruto was big started with Inuyasha. I wouldn't be here either without Inuyasha. I even modded an Inuyasha forum before coming to MH!
    I was about 6 when both Pokemon and DBZ started Needless to say those were my first addictions.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Too old at eleven? I used to watch until I was around fifteen to seventeen, when it got really childish and horrible.

inb4makingfunofmymentalage

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh original were good. They just kept being milked out and being worse and worse. :\
    It's not too old now, but back then I felt too old for Pokemon. Everyone was moving on to more violent series such as Inuyasha (and Naruto towards the end of Gr. 7).

My friend likes 5D, but towards the end it got really bad. It's all about expanding the franchise for $$$ or actually ¥¥¥.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    As I kind of mentioned above from Milly's post, those who started with Inuyasha moved on to Naruto before branching out. It's also the Internet that makes a huge difference. More households started using the Internet around the same time Inuyasha was gaining popular. (I remember I made my first e-mail address when I was eleven, which was in 2002 or 2003.) Scanlations were created for the first time, and anime/manga communities formed because of it.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I had the classic road for a French guy of my age. Lot's of anime during my childhood, first golden cities, goldorak, albator, cobra then the classic of TF1 channel dragon ball, saint seiya, city hunter...

Growing up I focused more on our domestic comics spending hours reading them in library or bookshops. My first return to the japan universe where the anime of Miyasaki. Some editors started to smell the business of manga. I started to read the translations from Tanigushi and found them very good. Quartier lointain is still one of my favorite manga. I was always rebuked ( and still are ) by the number of volume so these short stories were perfect
    Then when I finally had internet on my own, after speaking with a friend of mine who was really into manga, I watch GTO, first FMA serie. After a travel to japan, I felt attached to the culture, I already had read some completed series such has monster and started to discover the ongoing one with the scanlation once I had watched all one piece anime.
    Now I must said even if I don't really like unfinished stories, waiting only one week is quite addictive compared to the album every two years of french BD. Now when I buy one, I have to reconnect my brain to read the cases from left to right

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ailoveyou View Post
    Hmm, now that I think about it, I don't think I've actually ever thought about this, lol.

When I was in elementary school, Pokemon was just becoming really popular and everyone was trading the cards in class. I'm guessing the first anime I saw was Pokemon back in the day, but it could've been something else, hmm...

Don't remember what my first manga was, but I started reading Japanese comics after my family moved to the next town over back in 2000 and I started checking them out at the public library, lol.
    LOL, I remember that Pokemon faze in the early to late 90's. People were getting stabbed over those trading cards.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

About cards..
    I still remember yu gi oh and duel master tho,
    but they are not the reason why I went into anime, I was playing them and all but..

I thought they were just cartoons .
    And theres a lot of trading cards, are they all from japan or something?
    I mean..wait, I think they are.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I was introduced to anime/manga world when I was 6. My first anime I watched includes Cardcaptor Sakura and Yu-Gi-Oh!. I didn't know how actual manga was until I obtained Futari Ecchi at age of 8-9, but my mother forced me to takes off that manga because the content didn't appeal to my age (even though I can see ecchi scenes at that age). During my elementary school years, I was introduced to Rurouni Kenshin, Love Hina and later Hunter X Hunter. But during my middle school years, I was greatly introduced to recent anime like Naruto and Negima!, that's why I became later a manga/anime fan !

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
    I was introduced to anime/manga world when I was 6. My first anime I watched includes Cardcaptor Sakura and Yu-Gi-Oh!.
    Cardcaptor Sakura was one of my earliest anime and manga. What a memory.

I didn't remember it very clearly when I exactly started with anime and manga. Let me at least tell you what I remember.

I couldn't remember which one was first between anime or manga, but I think it must be anime. When I was still little, I loved waking up early on Sunday to watch 'cartoons' (I called them all cartoons back then, be it an anime or western cartoon like Tom and Jerry). I didn't remember what anime I watched back then. I think it must be around Doraemon, P-Man, Ninja Hatori, Sailor Moon, or Detective Conan. I skipped Dragonball, and I don't think there was Inuyasha that early. XD

Later then, I think I first read a manga when I was given several series by my neighbor. Looking at the name of the author it sounds very much like Indonesian though there is Japanese name as well. Next I found several comics of Sailor Moon, Kobo-chan, and Kariage-kun at my school's library. I read them, laughed and enjoyed them much, borrowed them all. When I was done with them all, I stopped, though. Later on I continued reading manga again on junior high school when there was a shop which we have to pay to borrow manga.

I learned about internet around junior high school too, but I was more a gamer than an otaku at that time. Only at the end of junior high school that I found I could read anime/manga series online; practically I started being an otaku by then. Also my English improved much at that time so I could understand much more than before. It brought me to online communities like MH too.

Such a history, but I didn't regret it at all.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

One night, I was flipping through channels and came across one of my favourite channels that happened to be showing Inuyasha. Became interested and then everything just kind of fell into place; sister introduced me to manga. Would consider the beginning when Sailormoon and all those classics were still being shown on TV, but I didn't know they were termed anime at the time :\

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2