Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    From what you have said it seems Luffy is a very special boy to Nami. But what about Luffy? Have there been any sings of Nami being a special girl to Luffy?

Because he was supposed to end up with that girl, they were childhood friends and he had liked her since they were kids and she had liked him as well…it is kind of hard to explain, but I must say that the series despite the ending and another "little" detail is a good romance series.
    Nami is a special girl to Luffy, but every crewmate of his is special, although Nami and Robin are the only ones I saw him fight for in his nakama... by that I mean challenging fights that was even extremely difficult for Luffy. Luffy even let Nami wear his very prized strawhat (apparently the only thing apart from food that could piss off/anger Luffy is his precious hat being damaged) before going to fight someone that tormented her for years. He tried hard to get her to be his ship's navigator and did it. Hell, almost every girl ends up liking Luffy, though the only one to fall in love with him is Boa. You should definitely read One Piece, you may like Luffy's character, but I think you'll love his interactions with people around him, if not his nakama.

Why did it end up with another girl? Pretty odd, didn't he do anything to fight against that if he liked his childhood friend?

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn’t for the fact that One Piece is…very, very long, I would have read it ages ago, but every time I try to read it I get discouraged by the immense amount of pages I would have to read or the amount of episodes I would have to watch. And judging by your words, it seems Luffy is an awesome character.

Sorry for the confusion, in my defense I did say it was hard to explain. He ends up with his childhood friend, that is the girl the plot dictated he should end up with, but she is not the girl who in my opinion he had the best chemistry. It was…kind of a big debate within the fandom of that series because he chose his childhood friend over the other girl, in fact I remember a friend of mine saying “He doesn’t have good taste in women that is why he didn’t choose
    Spoiler show
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh don't worry, just give it like ten chapters per day or per week. It won't take up that much of your time and you'll be caught up in no time. You'll likely want to root for Luffy x Nami! Luffy is a great character, he's carefree but will rise to defend and protect his friends/nakama. Such an idiot, yet smart at the wrong time. xD

Ooooh. The other girl was like a sibling to him or did he have feelings for her at one point?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my favorite pairings:
    - Naruto-Sakura
    - Ichigo-Rukia
    - Luffy-Nami

I find it really unfortunate that, despite having characters in their late teenage years or even in their twenties for One Piece, there's almost no romance involve at all in those manga.

For Naruto, at least, there was some love talk, and some confession, but all of it was poorly executed.

For Bleach, it's like it was non-existent. And even after a timeskip where they had nothing else to do but fall in love (no enemies to fight, etc), they still haven't even make a move in that direction...

For One Piece, it's even worst. The guy is now 20 and he never even once shown any interest for a woman. He's thinking about food even when there's a naked woman around him. It's just unrealistic and really depressing.
    We all want Luffy to show interest to either Nami (!!!) or Boa.

And the mangaka should know...
    Don't they know about all the shippers that follow their manga!?

I know that this is not driving the story (although Bleach so far could be summarize by two "save the princess" arcs), but why don't they give us glimpse of romance at least...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the mangaka for One Piece say he didn't wanna include romance?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Oh don't worry, just give it like ten chapters per day or per week. It won't take up that much of your time and you'll be caught up in no time. You'll likely want to root for Luffy x Nami! Luffy is a great character, he's carefree but will rise to defend and protect his friends/nakama. Such an idiot, yet smart at the wrong time. xD
    I don’t think I can do ten chapters per day or per week. RL won’t allow me to do that, and…if I do that then it means I won’t be able to watch my anime series, and I’m more an anime girl than a manga one.

Quote Quote:
    Ooooh. The other girl was like a sibling to him or did he have feelings for her at one point?
    Now…I’m confused…by the other girl you mean the one he rejected it, and no she wasn’t like a sibling to him, she became more some sort of a muse to him. And I do think at some point during the series he developed feelings for her, even if they were just platonic feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    For Bleach, it's like it was non-existent. And even after a timeskip where they had nothing else to do but fall in love (no enemies to fight, etc), they still haven't even make a move in that direction...
    I actually think there is some romance in Bleach, even if the romance is present in a very subtle way. Okay, I admit I’m very biased but there are some moments between Ichigo and Rukia that can be considered very romantic. And what about Byakuya’s love for Hisana, at the end of the SS arc that love became a key point in the story.

Quote Quote:
    And the mangaka should know...
    Don't they know about all the shippers that follow their manga!?
    They do but…it’s their manga so they have the final decision on whether include romance or not in it.

Quote Quote:
    I know that this is not driving the story (although Bleach so far could be summarize by two "save the princess" arcs), but why don't they give us glimpse of romance at least...
    I can only speak for Bleach since it is the only manga out of the big 3 that I have read, but one of things that captivated me about Bleach when I first started reading it was how romantic it seemed the SS arc, at least to me it seemed that way.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; May 11, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Put anime on hold until you've completed One Piece! So worth it! \o/

Then why'd he reject her? WHY IS FATE SO CRUEL!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Then why'd he reject her? WHY IS FATE SO CRUEL!
    He rejected her because:

1) The childhood-friends motif was strong in that series, so he had to end up with his childhood friend, plot dictated that.
    2) His childhood friend needed him more than his "muse".

In fact, three girls had feelings for him, so he in fact rejected two girls...and one was his best friend's gf.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, rejecting best friend's girlfriend makes sense, but why the person he had great chemistry with?! Stupid plot is stupid.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, rejecting best friend's girlfriend makes sense,
    Yes, it makes a lot of sense. And it was very complicated because she (his best friend’s gf) had been in love with him for a long time and in fact became his best friend’s gf to get closer to him.

Quote Quote:
    but why the person he had great chemistry with?! Stupid plot is stupid.
    I agree. But then again, it depends of the fan’s POV. For instance, there were fans that said that he had better chemistry with his childhood friend and he was right in choosing that girl in the end. I’m very curious…I wonder what camp you would join if you were to watch that series…

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoever had genuine feelings for each other and best chemistry should be together IMO. It's like, Chiwa (?) and Ryu from Kimi ni Todoke, they have great chemistry, and Sawako and Kazuya, they have genuine feelings for each other.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the mangaka for One Piece say he didn't wanna include romance?
    Yes, Oda said this in some SBS or other. Something about being not interested in portraying that aspect of the shonen genre.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post

Well…not all VN when turned into an anime handle the harem motif very well *coughamagamisscough*, so even if it came from a VN, I think the harem motif was handled successfully in Clannad the anime. And I have heard of Kimi no Iru Machi but I didn’t know the romance in that series was so frustrating.
    Weeelll, when there are nine in the harem, none of which are properly developed, and the Male lead is tugged in multiple directions mass confusion and pointlessness seems to ensue and destroy the story.

Or are there more now... I can't even tell which girl is which anymore, or even have any hope that one of the original girls will get with him by the end...T_T
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I only like harem if it is done well. Most of them are letdowns for me.
    Another thing, I find myself like the tsundere character in most romance animanga, not sure why, I guess I just like tsunderes
    About one piece, I'm a supporter of luffy x nami but like most have said, there's no romance there because they are all in love with adventuring.
    Bleach doesn't seem to focus on the romance aspect that much but Naruto is a different story, with the love triangle(or so I think) there.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoever had genuine feelings for each other and best chemistry should be together IMO. It's like, Chiwa (?) and Ryu from Kimi ni Todoke, they have great chemistry, and Sawako and Kazuya, they have genuine feelings for each other.
    Mmm…reading your reply made me wonder about something…what if a guy has genuine feelings for one girl but has great chemistry with another girl? Can a guy feel that? And if that is possible, then what girl should he choose? For instance in the series I mentioned you about, it seemed to me that the guy had genuine feelings for the girl he ended up with but he had the best chemistry with the other…

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
    Weeelll, when there are nine in the harem, none of which are properly developed, and the Male lead is tugged in multiple directions mass confusion and pointlessness seems to ensue and destroy the story.
    QFT and ITA, that’s why I’m not a fan of the omnibus format for harem series.

Quote Quote:
    Or are there more now... I can't even tell which girl is which anymore, or even have any hope that one of the original girls will get with him by the end...T_T
    Wow…that is a pretty bad romance series.

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
    QFT and ITA, that’s why I’m not a fan of the omnibus format for harem series.

Quote Quote:
    Wow…that is a pretty bad romance series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Another thing, I find myself like the tsundere character in most romance animanga, not sure why, I guess I just like tsunderes
    While I do have a soft spot for male tsundures, I don’t think I lean towards specific type of characters pairing wise. As long as their interactions are awesome, they have great chemistry and they are properly developed as a paring/couple; that is all that matters to me.

Quote Quote:
    Bleach doesn't seem to focus on the romance aspect that much but Naruto is a different story, with the love triangle(or so I think) there.
    Well…there is what one could call a love triangle in Bleach as well, the Rukia x Ichigo x Orihime love triangle. And that LT has been the topic of some serious and heated discussion in fact. And since you have mentioned the topic of love triangles…what is a love triangle? Does the person in the middle have to have feelings for the other two for it to be considered a love triangle (like in Inuyasha)? Or can it be considered a love triangle even if it is in the format A-> loves B-> B loves C <- C loves B?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; May 20, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

He'll probably choose the girl he has feelings for, but it depends on that girl and how she acts towards him. I don't think the guy would choose a girl that's a bitch towards him as opposed to the girl that has a great chemistry with him, but even two people on bad terms have good chemistry with each other.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast