Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    He'll probably choose the girl he has feelings for, but it depends on that girl and how she acts towards him. I don't think the guy would choose a girl that's a bitch towards him as opposed to the girl that has a great chemistry with him, but even two people on bad terms have good chemistry with each other.
    Thank you for answering my question! So genuine feelings is stronger than great chemistry…thanks to that info I can finally truly come to terms with the guy’s decision in
    Spoiler: do not read if you don’t want to be spoiled show

And while I understand why a boy wouldn’t choose a girl who is not nice towards him, it is kind of funny and interesting how some manga/anime girls do fall in love with the guy who is not that nice towards them, especially at the beginning of the story because things sometimes do change as the story progresses.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just my opinion though, there are some guys that go for good chemistry or woman they have great time with.

It's usually what the real life women tend to choose as well. Though, in most manga/anime, the girl either changes the guy for the better or she sees the hidden good side in him that gets slowly brought out. Bad thing is, women who read those kind of manga tend to be even more loyal to their bad significant others.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just my opinion though, there are some guys that go for good chemistry or woman they have great time with.
    Then I guess the guy from
    Spoiler show
    had an opinion similar to yours and that's why he made the choice he did.

Quote Quote:
    It's usually what the real life women tend to choose as well.
    True. RL girls do tend to like bad boys.

Quote Quote:
    Though, in most manga/anime, the girl either changes the guy for the better or she sees the hidden good side in him that gets slowly brought out.
    True, and that is why I admit that I do like some manga/anime bad boys with hearts of gold.

Quote Quote:
    Bad thing is, women who read those kind of manga tend to be even more loyal to their bad significant others.
    Bad thing is, women who read those kind of series tend to believe they can change their significant others, which you can’t. In RL, changing a bad boy into a good boy almost never happens. This makes me reflect about how some series can give the wrong message about love and relationships…

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing these kind of series are good for is getting lost in its world, it shouldn't really be used as anything but entertainment.

Bad boys tend to be boring though. You know they'll just come in, save the good guy in a badass fashion, and then leave with an insult or something, eventually causing him and the good guy to be friends eventually if they already aren't. At least with the good guys, it's interesting to see where, when, and how they'll grow, especially for the woman they love.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad boys tend to be boring though.
    Not all bad boys are boring. Some of them are pretty interesting because they are mysterious and unpredictable.

Quote Quote:
    You know they'll just come in, save the good guy in a badass fashion, and then leave with an insult or something, eventually causing him and the good guy to be friends eventually if they already aren't.
    When you wrote that comment where you thinking shonen or shoujo? And I can’t recall a manga/anime with a plot like that…at least not right now.

Quote Quote:
    At least with the good guys, it's interesting to see where, when, and how they'll grow, especially for the woman they love.
    Good guys can be interesting I agree, but some good guys can be pretty boring and that’s why the girl ends up choosing the bad boy in the end.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's because they're "mysterious" and "unpredictable" that makes them predictable and boring to me. I can predict what most will do and when they'll appear, and even if I fail, it doesn't shock me. :x

I was thinking of shoujo, I think? I forgot, but I may have manga mixed up with something else. <_<

Shame, since the bad boy can be a jerk.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's because they're "mysterious" and "unpredictable" that makes them predictable and boring to me. I can predict what most will do and when they'll appear, and even if I fail, it doesn't shock me. :x
    Well…I think it all comes down to the fact that my POV about bishie bad boys is a girl’s POV, while your POV about BBB is a boy’s POV...and this conversation about bad boys reminded me of this thread.

Quote Quote:
    Shame, since the bad boy can be a jerk.
    It depends…some bad boys can truly transform (in manga/anime and drama I mean) into great guys. Just to name a couple, Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango, Ren from Skip Beat, Takeru from Akuma de Sourou.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Bishi bad boys? Aren't bishies the ones that look feminine? I haven't really seen much of bishie bad boys. They tend to be gentle and puktastic at times. :x

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

<-- Trying to imagine Alto as a badass...
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bishi bad boys? Aren't bishies the ones that look feminine?
    I don’t know, I use the term bishonen/bishie to refer to manga/anime/drama characters/actors I find cute, handsome and attractive. But I do have to admit that some of the characters in manga/anime that are considered handsome by the fangirls look kind of feminine.

Quote Quote:
    I haven't really seen much of bishie bad boys. They tend to be gentle and puktastic at times. :x
    But not all of them are like that; there are some BBB that are just the opposite of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post
    <-- Trying to imagine Alto as a badass...
    Alto? Who is he?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; May 21, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming Alto refers to Alto Saotome from Macross Frontier His first introduction in the series:

Spoiler show

Him as a badass? Well, when he was in his VF-25, he was pretty darn awesome and kickass. But with girls... Romance in Macross Frontier was honestly, frustrating. Basically, he was caught between two girls, Ranka and Sheryl. He kept vacillating between the two of them, and eventually, in the final episode...

Spoiler show

Bishounen typically look like girls/feminine - after all the literal translation for the term would be "pretty youth/boy". I think Alto is a classic example.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

God that is such a win picture. Still remember that scene.

Also, I remember reading somewhere on ghostlighting's blog about the point of a love triangle being that one side falls away and the romance is resolved...but Macross totally screwed with this and went for an annoying harem end. Dammit!
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread with a new topic.

One of my favorite anime series from last anime season (and that is still ongoing) is Hana Saku Iroha. Although romance is not the main theme of the series, it is an important part of Hana Saku. As I watch how the romance unfolds in the series, some questions have come to my mind.

Regarding romance in manga/anime/Asian drama, do you like for the characters to take the aggressive approach in order to win the heart of the person they like/love, or do you like for the characters to take the passive approach? Which approach do you think is the best one?

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the character's personality. Someone like Seiji from Good Ending, I'd prefer he be more aggressive because he is too nice and not aggressive at all. The fact that he does the opposite of what he is for someone he likes shows that he likes that person enough. Though, it could be a sign of stalker. I also prefer some passive approach as well, mix it up.

With a normally aggressive guy, it's cuter when he goes passive for that girl he likes. :3 Some awkward interaction is funny.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The same can be said for a normally passive guy to go aggressive.
    Rika from Lovecom was aggressive for a while.
    But I like the passive approach better

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast