Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

Next Monday will be Valentine’s Day so to celebrate this holiday I thought it would be cool to discuss our favorite romance manga and anime. What are in your opinion the best romantic series in the manga and anime world, respectively?

We can now also discuss about romance in general, as long as it has to do with manga, anime or Asian dramas and with matters of the heart, all romance topics are welcomed in this thread now. destiny4ever

Manga World:
    Hana Yori Dango. This is one of my favorite manga and one of the reasons why I like it is because of the relationship between the main characters, between Makino and Tsukasa. Their love was strong enough to overcome tons of obstacles that happened throughout the series. The romance in this manga was pretty enjoyable, so much in fact that I can easily re-read chapters of the manga or re-watch episodes of the J-drama without getting bored. Moreover, the romance in this manga was such a hit with the fans that it had an anime adaption and 3 live-action adaptations and they were all big successes.

Anime World:
    Clannad and Clannad After Story. Tomoya and Nagisa are my #1 OTP in the whole animeverse. The relationship/romance between them was the soul of the series, especially in Clannad After Story IMHO. I loved the way they cared for each other, supported each other, understood each other, in short, the way they loved each other. It was also cool the fact that we got to see Nagisa and Tomoya going through various stages of a relationship and it was nice to see how the bond between them got stronger as they went through those stages.

Well, those are some of my favorite romantic series but what about you guys? What series do you think are the best romance in the manga and anime world?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; April 26, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Romance Manga/Anime – Valentine’s Edition

Manga World - Nodame Cantabile: It's rare to see a heroine being in love with both the guy and her passion, which is music. Nodame is quirky and acts like a child; in contrast Chiaki (her object of attention) is mature and stern. You wouldn't have thought they would perform well together, but they make a good duet and pair. What I like the most about Nodame Cantabile is the realism since the relationship between the two doesn't start out immediately.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Romance Manga/Anime – Valentine’s Edition

Manga World - Kimi ni Todoke
    Right now KimiTodo is, along with Nodame Cantabile, the most popular ongoing shoujo manga in Japan. And while I haven't read a lot of romance shoujo manga, nor have I read Nodame Cantabile, from what I have read of this manga as well as various reviews, I think I can safely say KimiTodo is one of romance shoujo manga's finest examples. The characters in KimiTodo are realistic and 3-dimensional, and their interactions and the situations they are placed in not over-dramatic and thus believable. It was a very riveting read and portrays very vividly the first love of two people, the awkwardness of not quite knowing what to do in that situation or how to express oneself well. The somewhat cliched premise of the story, paradoxically, is one of the things that makes this manga so good. Because its hackneyed, it's not too distant or out of this world. One feels like one could be any one of the characters, experiencing the same things - you can really identify with them, and it can thus move you to tears. It was an awesome read, especially on Valentine's

I haven't watched any anime that focused solely on romance, so none from me with regards to the anime world I've watched the HanaDan dramas, but can't really comment on the manga or anime. I do want to read HanaDan in time to come, though

5. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Romance Manga/Anime

Anime World - Ef: A Tale of Memories

Well it starts off pretty interesting, with two seemingly separate story lines but in the end all comes together. Anime and Manga such as this have always sparked me with interest, Ef was one of those. To be honest romance anime is not the genre I watch but once n a while I wanted to watch some romance anime that has a good story. The scenes in this anime are the best part of it, combined with the music as well.

The characters are not that special in my opinion, the males are really good characters because they sometimes don't act like in a typical romance anime. A few sub-plots are also interesting here. Everything in the end comes down to couples. But I like it, the ending was a good one for me, instead of me telling it, everyone should go and watch it.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga World - GE - Good Ending

It's basically this guy loving his senpai from afar, but the other girl catches him and mans him up and changes him so he confesses to his senpai. After he discovers something, he gets into depression and is, according to him, saved because of this other girl. He loves her, but there are obstacles in their path. It's interesting read and LIKE A SOAP OPERA! Awesome romance/bordering romance IMO.
    Last edited by Asarii; February 17, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Manga World - Nodame Cantabile: It's rare to see a heroine being in love with both the guy and her passion, which is music. Nodame is quirky and acts like a child; in contrast Chiaki (her object of attention) is mature and stern. You wouldn't have thought they would perform well together, but they make a good duet and pair. What I like the most about Nodame Cantabile is the realism since the relationship between the two doesn't start out immediately.
    I completely agree with you that Nodame Cantabile is an awesome romance. I haven’t read the manga, but I did watch the J-drama (in fact it was thanks to your post in this thread that I decided to finish watching but I ended up re-watching the whole thing from the very beginning instead ^_^) and I concur with you that the interactions between Nodame and Chiaki is one of the main reasons why this story is such a great romance series. They are both so different from each other but at the same time they complement each other so well. Btw, if you haven’t watched the J-drama yet, I totally recommend you giving it a try, it is amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    One feels like one could be any one of the characters, experiencing the same things - you can really identify with them
    For me, what you just mentioned in that part of your post is one of the reasons why I like Kimi ni Todoke. During various points throughout the story you can relate to what the characters are going through, so as you read or watch this series a special fondness for it starts to develop in your heart.

Quote Quote:
    I haven't watched any anime that focused solely on romance, so none from me with regards to the anime world
    Are you going to give Kimi ni Todoke (the anime) a try?

Quote Quote:
    I've watched the HanaDan dramas, but can't really comment on the manga or anime. I do want to read HanaDan in time to come, though
    I did watch some episodes of the anime, but I stopped when it begin to divert from the manga. However, I did read the manga and it was wonderful~ There are many amazing moments that didn’t make it into the live-action versions and it would be such a waste for a real HanaDan fan not to know about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Anime World - Ef: A Tale of Memories
    Did you watch ef- A tale of melodies as well, Benjamin? And yes, ef-a tale of memories is another romance jewel from the anime world, together with ef-a tale of melodies. My favorite pairing from ef-memories is Renji x Chihiro and from ef-melodies is Yuu x Yuuko. The stories of these two pairings really touched my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Manga World - GE - Good Ending

It's basically this guy loving his senpai from afar, but the other girl catches him and mans him up and changes him so he confesses to his senpai. After he discovers something, he gets into depression and is, according to him, saved because of this other girl. He loves her, but there are obstacles in their path. It's interesting read and LIKE A SOAP OPERA! Awesome romance/bordering romance IMO.
    That sounds like a really interesting story, M3J. Thank you for sharing it with us! I looked for some info about this manga and I read GE is actually a shonen. From the synopsis you wrote I was expecting for it to be a shoujo, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was actually a shonen. I’m adding it to my must-read list.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 17, 2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@destiny4ever

Somehow I really never got round to watch that one. I felt so content with Ef that I knew any other romance anime would be worst then it in my opinion. Like I said I don't really watch romance, but I gave this one a shot and it was worth it. I may check it out if I feel like watch something romantic again of course the story has to be good.

Well yeah they are the best couple, Renji was my favorite male character there just because he did not act like a typical male protagonist. I liked him even more as things went towards the end. As for female character I guess it has to be the girl that got photographed, I forgot her name now? >.<"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@destiny4ever
    Somehow I really never got round to watch that one. I felt so content with Ef that I knew any other romance anime would be worst then it in my opinion. Like I said I don't really watch romance, but I gave this one a shot and it was worth it. I may check it out if I feel like watch something romantic again of course the story has to be good.
    Ef-melodies is the second season of ef-memories and thus it is the continuation of the first story; so if you liked ef-memories there is a high chance you will like ef-melodies as well.

Quote Quote:
    Well yeah they are the best couple, Renji was my favorite male character there just because he did not act like a typical male protagonist. I liked him even more as things went towards the end.
    Renji was my favorite boy from ef-memories as well, he was great!!

Quote Quote:
    As for female character I guess it has to be the girl that got photographed, I forgot her name now? >.<"
    You mean Kei? She was my favorite girl in ef-memories too. Kei and Chihiro were my fav. ^_^

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    That sounds like a really interesting story, M3J. Thank you for sharing it with us! I looked for some info about this manga and I read GE is actually a shonen. From the synopsis you wrote I was expecting for it to be a shoujo, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was actually a shonen. I’m adding it to my must-read list.
    It is pretty interesting, I actually like the manga (recommended by c_k). It's like a soap opera, but it's awesome. And it being a shounen makes it better, oddly enough. O_o

Not a fan of shoujo?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmm…I’m curious so …may I ask what gave you the impression that I didn’t like shoujo? Because I do. Well…actually, since I’m a romantic person, as long as there is a bit of romance in the story I don’t really mind the genre. Moreover, I focus more on the story itself rather than in the genre, that is why among my favorite series there is shounen, shojo, seinen, and josei.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I was expecting for it to be a shoujo, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was actually a shonen.
    That made me think you didn't like shoujo.

You prefer any action as well? GE doesn't have much action, if at all. It does have tennis and stuff. I forgot what I wrote in my rec, so apologies for repeats.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Ef-melodies is the second season of ef-memories and thus it is the continuation of the first story; so if you liked ef-memories there is a high chance you will like ef-melodies as well.

Renji was my favorite boy from ef-memories as well, he was great!!

You mean Kei? She was my favorite girl in ef-memories too. Kei and Chihiro were my fav. ^_^
    Yes I know that it is the sequel, I felt content with the ending of Ef that I did not want a sequel I guess, I will like it yes, but often I start second seasons it is usually the anime is continuing right from the last of the previous one. Different story lines are kind of hard to get into again.

Yes her good to know we have similar taste, but really I do believe everyone watching this anime would get the same impressions form both of them. They are good characters to start with, the creators intentionally made them likable.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    That made me think you didn't like shoujo.
    Ahhh. Thank you for answering my question. The reason why I was pleasantly surprised to find out GE was actually a shounen is because I like it when shounen series have romance in them. Reading romance in shojo is different than reading romance in shonen, don’t get me wrong I enjoy romance no matter the genre , but maybe it is because shounen isn't supposed to be romantic that when there is romance in it I appreciate it even more. For instance, Bleach is a shounen but I have enjoyed the Ichiruki moments in that manga so much more than I have enjoyed the moments of other shojo pairings.

Quote Quote:
    You prefer any action as well? GE doesn't have much action, if at all. It does have tennis and stuff. I forgot what I wrote in my rec, so apologies for repeats.
    I’m not against action, but if there isn’t any I’m okay with that as well. Mmm…I’m not a huge fan of tennis…so I wonder if I would be able to enjoy GE even if I don’t like tennis that much…

but often I start second seasons it is usually the anime is continuing right from the last of the previous one. Different story lines are kind of hard to get into again.
    Then…I’m not that sure about you liking ef-melodies as much as ef-memories anymore, since ef-melodies’ main focus is on two different pairings…

Quote Quote:
    Yes her good to know we have similar taste, but really I do believe everyone watching this anime would get the same impressions form both of them. They are good characters to start with, the creators intentionally made them likable.
    I agree with you about Renji, most fans of ef like him. But Kei…actually a lot of people hated her; I remember some pretty fiery debates about Kei and the Hiro x Miyako pairing. I wasn’t very fond of the Hiro x Miyako pairing, but because of that pairing Kei didn’t get a lot of love from the fans. At least on the sites where I discussed ef-memories.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 17, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@ destiny4ever

Well I think I heard back then that it was a new story from the get go, similar in the way it was told, which might be a thing I would like because I liked the first anime, the only thing I fear is it would be too much of a copy.

I never really discussed Ef up until now, my intention with mentioning it here was to spark some discussion for it, and I did it, thanks!

Ok, so my take on the ainme was that the couple of Renji and Chihiro was meant to be the likable one, while the other one was rather forced and I did not really follow that story as much as I did the one with Renji. The only bright side from the other story was Kei, she was a good character that kind of suffered at some scenes I felt bad for her at times. That is why I like her.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I discuss ef with you Benjamin, the more I want to say

Well I think I heard back then that it was a new story from the get go, similar in the way it was told, which might be a thing I would like because I liked the first anime, the only thing I fear is it would be too much of a copy.
    Ef-melodies is similar to ef-memories in the way that is told that is true, but it is not a copy from the first season at all!! In fact, if you thought ef-memories was moving, ef-melodies will touch your heart even more, at least for me it was like that.

Quote Quote:
    I never really discussed Ef up until now, my intention with mentioning it here was to spark some discussion for it, and I did it, thanks!
    Thank you for mentioning ef in this thread! I haven’t met too many fans of ef on MH, so I’m glad I could meet one thanks to this thread. ^_^

Quote Quote:
    Ok, so my take on the ainme was that the couple of Renji and Chihiro was meant to be the likable one, while the other one was rather forced and I did not really follow that story as much as I did the one with Renji.
    I completely agree with you, but a lot of ef-memories fans adored the Hiro x Miyako pairing even more than the Renji x Chihiro one. There were many Miyako fans and not that much Kei fans, so I guess that was why people was rooting for Miyako x Hiro more than for Kei x Hiro. When I watched ef-memories I felt so bad for Kei, but after watching ef-melodies I’m so glad that the Kei x Hiro pairing didn’t happen; Kei deserved better and she got in ef-melodies.

Quote Quote:
    The only bright side from the other story was Kei, she was a good character that kind of suffered at some scenes I felt bad for her at times. That is why I like her.
    I felt bad for her as well, especially during the scene
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 17, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast