Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance in the Manga/Anime/Asian Drama World

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Romance Manga/Anime

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    The more I discuss ef with you Benjamin, the more I want to say

Ef-melodies is similar to ef-memories in the way that is told that is true, but it is not a copy from the first season at all!! In fact, if you thought ef-memories was moving, ef-melodies will touch your heart even more, at least for me it was like that.

Thank you for mentioning ef in this thread! I haven’t met too many fans of ef on MH, so I’m glad I could meet one thanks to this thread. ^_^

I completely agree with you, but a lot of ef-memories fans adored the Hiro x Miyako pairing even more than the Renji x Chihiro one. There were many Miyako fans and not that much Kei fans, so I guess that was why people was rooting for Miyako x Hiro more than for Kei x Hiro. When I watched ef-memories I felt so bad for Kei, but after watching ef-melodies I’m so glad that the Kei x Hiro pairing didn’t happen; Kei deserved better and she got in ef-melodies.

I felt bad for her as well, especially during the scene
    Spoiler show
    Glad to hear it, I was worried because I did not find a thread on MH about it, was there?

I think it will if I watch it, hm a sudden urge to watch it just sparked within me, it has been long since I watched Ef a tale of memories, oh well, what is the main difference though, I want to know before I start?

Great I thought the anime did not have that many fans at all, I was wrong it seems, hopefully we can have great fun discussing it.

At times I wanted to punch the screen whenever I saw Miyako, typical anime character in my eyes that really did not bring much spark to the anime, except for scenes that were done for the sake some twists in the story with her and Hiro.
    I am glad about Kei, really I am!

Two scenes that rather can be described as favorite/ best for me and least favorite/worst again for me:

Spoiler: Best show

Spoiler: Worst show

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that focused on tennis though, just mildly. It's one of the reasons how Utsumi get closer to Senpai and Yuki, since Senpai likes tennis.

SHounens aren't expected of romance like shoujos are, I guess, so they're less typical/stereotypical. In shoujo, it's usually awkward meeting and then after a long time, admittance of love, whereas in shounen it can be enmity at first, then love later, or respect and love at first,but stubbornness gets in the way, or etc. Don't take my word on it since I haven't read much shoujo (basing the shoujo thingie on Kimi, actually). I dunno whether I prefer shounen or shoujo romance, but shounen tends to have epic ones, like one from Naruto.

I guess it's like this: shounen is known for action and shoujo known for romance, so they both tend to repeat. I'm not sure how action in shoujo can be though. However, GE is a good manga IMO, and you'll be engrossed in the characters' lives. Few even said how the characters were relateable and had good relationship with one another or something.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ M3J

I agree about GE it has many twists it was my favorite romance manga before I dropped it because I did not have time to read it, I caught up to it though chapter 45 was it I think. As always in manga the art was the best thing for me and the art in GE is amazing. I loved the pairing of Shou and Utsumi but since the story started to go in Kurokawa's favor I kind of lost interest in it.

Plus Oonuma was introduced and it felt more like a harem at that point.

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Glad to hear it, I was worried because I did not find a thread on MH about it, was there?
    No, there wasn’t a thread for it.

Quote Quote:
    I think it will if I watch it, hm a sudden urge to watch it just sparked within me, it has been long since I watched Ef a tale of memories, oh well, what is the main difference though, I want to know before I start?
    The main difference between the two efs is the pairings, their stories. In ef-melodies you will encounter two different pairings, more complex and darker than the pairings in ef-memories in a way. There is a scene in ef-melodies that is so powerful that you will never forget it and you will find one of the most despicable men of the anime world, he is in fact one of my most disliked characters.

Quote Quote:
    Great I thought the anime did not have that many fans at all, I was wrong it seems, hopefully we can have great fun discussing it.
    I hope for the same. ^_^

Quote Quote:
    I am glad about Kei, really I am!
    Cupid bring happiness to Kei in ef-melodies.

Quote Quote:
    Spoiler: Best show

Spoiler: Worst show
    I completely agree with you! The first scene was so touching and sweet, I sort of wanted to get into the Ef-universe to help Renji gather those papers, Renji was magnificent during that scene. And regarding the other scene….poor Kei.

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    SHounens aren't expected of romance like shoujos are, I guess, so they're less typical/stereotypical.
    I agree, like Royai, it isn’t your typical pairing but the romance between these characters is so powerful that there is no way you can deny their feelings for each other.

Quote Quote:
    I dunno whether I prefer shounen or shoujo romance, but shounen tends to have epic ones, like one from Naruto.
    As long it is romance, I don’t mind whether the story is shojo, shounen, josei or seinen. I think the epic part depends on the series itself rather than the genre.

Quote Quote:
    However, GE is a good manga IMO, and you'll be engrossed in the characters' lives. Few even said how the characters were relateable and had good relationship with one another or something.
    Thank you for the info! ^_^
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 17, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan and for my awesome sig, Reverzer0!

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ destiny4ever

I guess having one now is out of the question then?

Aha, so there is man like that in the second season, I always felt that Chihiro's guardian guy was pretty bad, this guy is worst then him?
    If it is as god as the paper scene it will be great!

Yeah I hope more join in as well.

Lol, haha, good to hear it for her because she really needs it and is worthy of it, good job Cupid!

Yup, my total respect earned there, and to think he pulled it off in a great manner, amazing, just his thoughts through out the series were amazing the way he thinks and feels. Miyako was a bit like fan-service if you ask me. :/

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

@ M3J

I agree about GE it has many twists it was my favorite romance manga before I dropped it because I did not have time to read it, I caught up to it though chapter 45 was it I think. As always in manga the art was the best thing for me and the art in GE is amazing. I loved the pairing of Shou and Utsumi but since the story started to go in Kurokawa's favor I kind of lost interest in it.

Plus Oonuma was introduced and it felt more like a harem at that point.
    You don't like Kurokawa?

And I kinda agree. I also fund Oonuma annoying as well. <_< She doesn't even look as good as Kurokawa, Eri, and Shou, why is she so hyped to be beautiful? <_<

you will find one of the most despicable men of the anime world, he is in fact one of my most disliked characters.

I agree, like Royai, it isn’t your typical pairing but the romance between these characters is so powerful that there is no way you can deny their feelings for each other.

As long it is romance, I don’t mind whether the story is shojo, shounen, josei or seinen. I think the epic part depends on the series itself rather than the genre.

Thank you for the info! ^_^
    Why dislike him? o_o

Shounens tend to have some kind of hidden romance as well, and although it's hinted at strongly, you wouldn't get a confirmation until later, like Yusuke and Keiko (or I"m just dense). Shounens also tend to have partners that fight together, like Roy and Riza, and someone who'd go to any lengths for their loved ones, like Yusuke and Keiko. Shoujo, I'm not sure, but I don't think it really has that. I'm not saying this makes romance worse though.

It also depends on one's tastes. Kimi ni Todoke's romance is kinda epic because of how cute it is, whereas GE has interesting romance because of what's going on and stuff. I dunno, but I tend to like romances where two people don't wanna admit out of fear or are too shy to.

What kind of romance do you like? Anything?

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ M3J

I don't hate her character I dislike the paring of her and Utsumi, I have to give her credit she did make it easer for him to talk to Shou and get to know her and stuff, she should have kept that roll in the story but she became the main character and of course it was her and Utsumi from there on.

I agree, Shou is the most beautiful to me, Eni is also very beautiful, Kurokawa is nice in a way, but she can get too secretive and stuff, Eni is just wild! XD

Oonuma is annoying always ruining everything, who you mean Oonuma is hyped, maybe because she offers a LOT of fan-service?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ destiny4ever
    You can call me “Destiny” .

Quote Quote:
    I guess having one now is out of the question then?
    I guess so…

Quote Quote:
    Aha, so there is man like that in the second season, I always felt that Chihiro's guardian guy was pretty bad, this guy is worst then him?
    Chihiro’s guardian, who is Yuu and about whom you will learn more in ef-melodies, is not a bad guy and I didn’t think he was bad in ef-memories. Why did you think he was bad? Anyway, going back to the question, yes, the guy in ef-melodies is worse than any other fantasy villain, he is horrible!!

Quote Quote:
    If it is as god as the paper scene it will be great!
    Paper scene…I don’t remember it…
    Spoiler show

That scene is nothing compared to the scenes you will find in ef-melodies…

Quote Quote:
    Lol, haha, good to hear it for her because she really needs it and is worthy of it, good job Cupid!

Quote Quote:
    Yup, my total respect earned there, and to think he pulled it off in a great manner, amazing, just his thoughts through out the series were amazing the way he thinks and feels.
    *sigh* If only Renji was real…he is amazing!! I was very glad Chihiro found a guy like him.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

@ M3J

I don't hate her character I dislike the paring of her and Utsumi, I have to give her credit she did make it easer for him to talk to Shou and get to know her and stuff, she should have kept that roll in the story but she became the main character and of course it was her and Utsumi from there on.

I agree, Shou is the most beautiful to me, Eni is also very beautiful, Kurokawa is nice in a way, but she can get too secretive and stuff, Eni is just wild! XD

Oonuma is annoying always ruining everything, who you mean Oonuma is hyped, maybe because she offers a LOT of fan-service?
    Why do you dislike the pairing? I think it's good, or it was good before Utsumi grew balls. Plus, in the one-shot, same thing happened, Utsumi fell in love with Kurokawa and confessed at the end. PEople wanted more so thus, this happened.

Gotta love Eri and her outbursts. xD It's why she and Chi from Kimi ni Todoke are among my top faves! Kurokawa is secretive for a reason though, bad past.

Tons of characters say she's pretty and looks like a model and stuff. To me, she's just an annoying idiot.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Destiny

Lol, I just use that to formally type the name of the person I am replying!

Oh too bad, it would have been great, but oh well, we can always discuss it in this general thread.

It is just the way he was over protective of her I guess, sure he was looking after her, but Renji was a nice boy he should have known he would not hurt Chihiro.
    Ugh, I guess he does something horrible!

I meant the Renji scene with the papers, I typed fast, lol.
    But yes the scene you mentioned is also good, I loved the scenes with Chihiro and her in chains that was really well done to explain her situation!

I can only hope.

Yup, he is such a good person, I would not mind being friends with him, it is always nice to have good friends like him, and he picked a nice girl as well.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why dislike him? o_o
    He is a horrible and despicable man. If you watch ef-melodies I have a feeling you’ll agree with me.

Quote Quote:
    Shoujo, I'm not sure, but I don't think it really has that.
    Actually, from the shojo I’ve read, there are shojo where the guy is willing to do anything for the girl and viceverse, like in Hana Yori Dango. The things that Tsukasa did for Makino’s sake and viceverse were incredible!! So shoujo do have great things in the romance department, it depends on the story of course, but it’s just that it is a different kind of romance you will find in shounen.

Quote Quote:
    It also depends on one's tastes.
    ITA!!! It all comes down to one’s tastes and POVs. Epicness is subjective because of that very reason.

Quote Quote:
    but I tend to like romances where two people don't wanna admit out of fear or are too shy to.
    Have you read Akuma to Love Song? Based on what you have said you might like that manga.

Quote Quote:
    What kind of romance do you like? Anything?
    Mmm…I don’t like just anything, but I guess I like pairings and romance based on the interactions between the characters.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you dislike the pairing? I think it's good, or it was good before Utsumi grew balls. Plus, in the one-shot, same thing happened, Utsumi fell in love with Kurokawa and confessed at the end. PEople wanted more so thus, this happened.

Gotta love Eri and her outbursts. xD It's why she and Chi from Kimi ni Todoke are among my top faves! Kurokawa is secretive for a reason though, bad past.

Tons of characters say she's pretty and looks like a model and stuff. To me, she's just an annoying idiot.
    I guess there is something about Shou and Utsumi being together that makes me like the manga a lot more. Of course the paring of Utsumi and Kurokawa in the current story fits the best. Like you said it was a result of that, that the author went into that direction.
    Shou being clumsy and helpful and innocent looking just adds to her character for me.

Exactly! It all comes down to the type of characters the author picked, Eni is a party girl and such, hahaha, really brings cheer to the manga, yeah the story of Kurokawa is sad from a romantic point of view but brilliant from a story telling point of view.

Haha yeah good way to describe her, I sometime don't get her presence in the manga is it to stop some important things from happening?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Destiny

Lol, I just use that to formally type the name of the person I am replying!
    Ah okay. ^_^

Quote Quote:
    It is just the way he was over protective of her I guess, sure he was looking after her, but Renji was a nice boy he should have known he would not hurt Chihiro.
    There is a reason why Yuu was so overprotective of Chihiro and you will understand it after watching ef-melodies.

Quote Quote:
    Ugh, I guess he does something horrible!
    Who Yuu? No, he is not the bad guy I was referring to. Yuu is no the bad guy at all! The horrible man is another one who is a monster!

Quote Quote:
    But yes the scene you mentioned is also good, I loved the scenes with Chihiro and her in chains that was really well done to explain her situation!
    Scenes like that appear in ef-melodies as well.

Quote Quote:
    Yup, he is such a good person, I would not mind being friends with him, it is always nice to have good friends like him, and he picked a nice girl as well.
    And that is why Chihiro x Renji is my fav pairing in ef-memories.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bungaku Shoujo was a movie I watched a while ago and it was a really good romance. Not on ef's level or anything but still great. I recommend it to everyone!

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a horrible and despicable man. If you watch ef-melodies I have a feeling you’ll agree with me.

Actually, from the shojo I’ve read, there are shojo where the guy is willing to do anything for the girl and viceverse, like in Hana Yori Dango. The things that Tsukasa did for Makino’s sake and viceverse were incredible!! So shoujo do have great things in the romance department, it depends on the story of course, but it’s just that it is a different kind of romance you will find in shounen.
    But why?

That does happen a lot in shoujo, but does it involve action? Naruto grew when he fought Gaara because he realized what made one stronger was fighting for others, not for himself, when Gaara was slowly suffocating Sakura with his sand. Yusuke probably most likely would have died if it weren't for Kuwabara giving him some of his life force because Keiko was close to being killed. I'm not sure if shoujo does have action like that, but I'm an action junkie over romance junkie. It's actually cool to see scenes like that though, even though it's also sweet to see both characters doing anything for each other.

Quote Quote:
    ITA!!! It all comes down to one’s tastes and POVs. Epicness is subjective because of that very reason.

Have you read Akuma to Love Song? Based on what you have said you might like that manga.

Mmm…I don’t like just anything, but I guess I like pairings and romance based on the interactions between the characters.
    Yep. I still say I have better taste! (Just kidding by the way :P)

Nope. What's it about?

Me too. If they have great chemistry, then they definitely belong together! As long as they interact well (even if not friendly), there's always a good potential. One of the reasons why I enjoyed seeing Roy and Riza together was because they had great chemistry.

I guess there is something about Shou and Utsumi being together that makes me like the manga a lot more. Of course the paring of Utsumi and Kurokawa in the current story fits the best. Like you said it was a result of that, that the author went into that direction.
    Shou being clumsy and helpful and innocent looking just adds to her character for me.

Exactly! It all comes down to the type of characters the author picked, Eni is a party girl and such, hahaha, really brings cheer to the manga, yeah the story of Kurokawa is sad from a romantic point of view but brilliant from a story telling point of view.

Haha yeah good way to describe her, I sometime don't get her presence in the manga is it to stop some important things from happening?
    Is it because of Utsumi's dorky personality that you prefer him and Shou together? But Shou's personality is pretty endearing, and the only reason why I forgave her for breaking Utsumi's heart. One does wonder how innocent she still is after being with her asshole of an ex-boyfriend. <_<

I so love seeing Eri because of her personality! Her being a party girl does bring cheer, as well as some humor! At first, I was like, WTF?! And then after she and Utsumi became friends, I was like, "you may be a whore, but you're a cool whore!" I really hope she and Baldy get together, that'd be a good personality complement.

Oonuma serves as a way to cockblock Utsumi and annoy us. <_< She is soooo needy and clingy and annoying. v.v

New Reply
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast