Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you prefer in your food/beverage?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taste

30 81.08%
  • Health

7 18.92%
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Health or Taste?

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Health or Taste?

I try to eat healthy for health's sake, but when I indulge, it's all about taste. Beignets are one of my favorite foods but they're super super unhealthy and so I make them sparingly. But when I make 'em, I go all out: homemade fruit toppings and mounds of powdered sugar deliciousness.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I never got the whole thing with diet drinks.... Whats the point of it having less sugar if it has twice as much caffeine? Whats the point of ordering the diet drink if you are still ordering the largest possible size for it? Whats the point of the diet drink if everything else you are eating is about as unhealthy as radioactive waste? Someone who wants to lose weight should not have soda at all, it is that simple lol. As for me, soda overall does nothing for me. I'd rather have a beer which is actually healthier than soda and as long as I don't drink a six pack every day I won't really get weight (I also don't drunk light beer, that is just awful).

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Soda tastes good. ._. And it's addicting.

But I don't understand the whole diet fad either. It's been said that artificial sugar is worse for health than real sugar and that it is better at fattening you.

Honestly, some people! Misled by "diet" or "sugarfree" label. :\

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Personaly I'm not a big fan of soda. And I don't understand why cola is so much popular. All these chemical taste are just not my thing at all. Plus I like sugar less and less. The only soda I drink with pleasure is orangina
    And I don't understand how you can drink some while eating a meal. It overtakes all the taste of the other food
    Last edited by k-dom; April 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am not much of a soda drinker myself (I actually rarely drink it at all) but I have to admit there is just something awesome about drinking coca cola while eating pizza.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Personaly I'm not a big fan of soda. And I don't understand why cola is so much popular. All these chemical taste are just not my thing at all. Plus I like sugar less and less. The only soda I drink with pleasure is orangina
    And I don't understand how you can drink some while eating a meal. It overtakes all the taste of the other food
    Sugary taste is just so good. Plus, many colas also have caffeine in it, which makes it even more addicting. I love sodas because of their sweet taste, otherwise I do wanna stay away and have tried.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been staying away from sugared drinks for three weeks now, except for homemade juices and isotonic drinks.
    It's not that hard for me maybe because I like cold drinks more than sugared drinks so cold water replacing my sugar drinks is an ok for me. Although I have to admit, the urge sometimes can't be controlled, in this three weeks I've drank two bottles of sugared drinks to treat myself and after that I wanted more then I reminded myself that Self-control and discipline is important.

Anyway, for me it'll be Taste over Health. I used to have KFC or Mcdonalds twice or once a week every time and I wasn't eating anything healthy or close to it and after being introduced to healthy food, I can never enjoy the taste as much as fast food. I think I got used to having them in my life that kicking them out will take sometime to get used to. Its been one month since I touched fast food and all I've been eating is "healthy" food, I don't hate them but I know I love fastfood more.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Sugary taste is just so good. Plus, many colas also have caffeine in it, which makes it even more addicting. I love sodas because of their sweet taste, otherwise I do wanna stay away and have tried.
    It's easy to like sugar but little by little my preference has come for sour and bitter tastes. I trade 1 liter of grapefruit juice against all the cola of the world :-). I even start to really dislike when it's too suggary. Last week-end I made a brownie with only half of the sugar portion and I still feel like there was too many

@Zeltrax
    I don't think that cold drink are that good. That was also one of my nightmare when I went to US. Why do people there put so many ice in the drinks ?

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant chilled drinks/drinks that are cold.
    I can't stand water or sugared drinks warm, I like to drink everything cold.
    Doesn't need to have ice, just in the fridge.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    I meant chilled drinks/drinks that are cold.
    I can't stand water or sugared drinks warm, I like to drink everything cold.
    Doesn't need to have ice, just in the fridge.
    That's like me as well. Accept with food When I'm not particularly hungry and I just want to eat for the sake of it, I just go to the refrigerator and grab something and say 'screw the microwave' and eat it the way it is. I don't really like waiting for the microwave to heat up my food. My policy is, if it can be eaten the way it is, screw the microwave and eat it from the fridge.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I understood and my point is still valid cold drink is not really good and the warm drinks are generally better.
    In asia they drink a lot of tea and in the desert they do a lot too. As for me, I'm the opposit since I prefer warm drinks during the day, I still not drink them during lunch except for sups.

@Freid
    That looks more like laziness than taste. And it's not like microwave was the best for heating. So far i didn't find better than the traditional saucepan. And it's not like you can everything raw but I guess if it's pizza it's ok

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I would say it's a combination of both. I genuinely do not mind the taste of cold food, and at the same time, waiting for the microwave is a bit of a drag for me. However, when I'm actually hungry, I don't mind enduring the few minutes. You know, when you are hungry you want to taste food at its best

On another note, I only recently started eating candy again after I took a sabbatical from eating them over a year ago. Man, I've missed out
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah time and washing are the 2 big enemies of healthy cuisine :-))

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Taste most times, health not so much...I think its because I'm still pretty young. Hmmm funny those who know better don't always do better lol

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wahahaha, shame on us, no one voted for "health"! XD
    The perfect answer, obviously, should be health. But I can't deny it that I almost always pick taste way above health. Last night my mom made me an apple juice, and since I'm a no-no when it comes to fruit juice, I had a hard time drinking it. But give me a choco milk and everything would be perfect. I wouldn't even care of getting fat or my acnes would act up or whatever. XD

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast