Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto

Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
    Serialized: Bessatsu Shonen Magazine
    Summary and Preview:
    One day a tanuki named Monoko stumbles across a baby abandoned by it's mother. Having no family of her own, she raises the baby to the best of her ability even though they originate from different species. Hardships and enemies face the tanukis but that doesn't stop Monoko protecting the baby at all costs. Many trials await this baby as it grows and communicates with the animal world.
    Releases from Hi wa Mata Noboru
    Last edited by Doraku; September 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto

I'm working on scanlating this but the thing is I keep getting caught up in other projects and end up trying to catch up on those. I'm planning on catching up with this once I finish catching up with Gintama. It takes a while for me to scan the whole volumes, get someone to clean them, translate everything, and typset them myself. The only help I get is with cleaning and checking/editing.

However, it's a very good series and has a lot of interesting stuff in it. Raiku takes realistic habits of actual animals an applies them to his fictional world. As the story goes on it kinda changes to be more conflict oriented.

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved volume 1 so much! It grabs you in with tons of emotion in the first chapter and all the tanukis are crazy. With different personalities and feelings toward each other it's a great read. Kurokagi is my favorite character, not only is he a bad ass but he wears clothes to match. He's awesome.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read the first four volumes of this series. It's published in American by Kodansha USA under the title 'Animal Land'. I have to say, found this series thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait for volume 5 to come out next month. Truly one of my new favorites.

---------- Post added July 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was June 22, 2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

I just finished volume 5. It exceeded my already high expectations and made me even more interested in this series. It's a shame, I never see this series on the NYTBSL or even on the Oricon comic list. It doesn't seem popular on either side of the ocean. I personally think it's a real gem of a shonen manga. Wish more people would read it. Sucks that there isn't a current scanlation of this series. I English print release is like 3 volumes ahead of the halted scans.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I just read the first four volumes of this series. It's published in American by Kodansha USA under the title 'Animal Land'. I have to say, found this series thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait for volume 5 to come out next month. Truly one of my new favorites.

---------- Post added July 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was June 22, 2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

I just finished volume 5. It exceeded my already high expectations and made me even more interested in this series. It's a shame, I never see this series on the NYTBSL or even on the Oricon comic list. It doesn't seem popular on either side of the ocean. I personally think it's a real gem of a shonen manga. Wish more people would read it. Sucks that there isn't a current scanlation of this series. I English print release is like 3 volumes ahead of the halted scans.
    I've seen it in both places. 10 in NYTBSL and +20k at oricon. Not that good though.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXC View Post
    I've seen it in both places. 10 in NYTBSL and +20k at oricon. Not that good though.
    Ah, yes, with a little digging, I see that it made both lists. And volume 9 just made an appearance on the Oricon list this week with improved sales from volume 8(not by much though). Here's hoping volume 10 does even better.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Unexpectedly volume 2 has been scanlated by Hi wa mata noburu. That's a good news especially if they can continue.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great. It was the events at the end of volume 2 that really got me hooked. I hope more people will start reading this now. And I really can't wait until volume 6 comes out in America in November.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished reading the second volume. I agree with Matt, the last chapter of the second volume is simply where the dramatic and twist parts of the story condensed into an epic one storyline. So, for those who already read Doubutsu no Kuni beyond volume two, I have some questions:

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Finished reading the second volume. I agree with Matt, the last chapter of the second volume is simply where the dramatic and twist parts of the story condensed into an epic one storyline. So, for those who already read Doubutsu no Kuni beyond volume two, I have some questions:

Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

I have volumes 2-5 (I read volume one online so I haven't bought it yet) and like with HxH I'm merely reading this cause I loved the authors last series *bonus points for being my first manga series* and I have to agree I'm enjoying this alot, not to the extent of gash for me, however its definetly taking a good course in its story telling and I love the idea of focusing everything around communication and speech. Plus it has nice spades of dark humor that make me loose my shit, artstyle aside I definetly knew this was Raiku's work.
    in volume 2
    Spoiler show

in volume 3
    Spoiler show

in volume 4
    Spoiler show

in volume 5
    Spoiler show
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I read volume 6 today and it was awesome:
    Spoiler show

I can't wait for volume 7, but it doesn't come out until April 2013...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After much time of suffering from being a broke chump, Xmas rolled around, I got B&N gift card and I finally got my copy of volume 6,

Spoiler show

I suppose the smart thing to do would be to pre order vol. 7, but theres another manga I'm debating over getting...damn, thats what I get for having just enough dough left over for one...
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy3331 View Post
    After much time of suffering from being a broke chump, Xmas rolled around, I got B&N gift card and I finally got my copy of volume 6,

Spoiler show

I suppose the smart thing to do would be to pre order vol. 7, but theres another manga I'm debating over getting...damn, thats what I get for having just enough dough left over for one...
    About your two issues:
    Spoiler show

What's the other manga you are considering? If I only had enough money for one more manga book out of the 9 ongoing series I regularly purchase, Animal Land would be a top contender. Partially because there are no current scans of it like the other popular series I read, but also because it really is a good read.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on catching up with this. The problem, and has been for the last two years, is lack of cleaners. But I have a couple people working on it now, so it should all get done. Also, I've been scanning and archiving all the color pages from Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. So it'll have that.

21. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    I'm working on catching up with this. The problem, and has been for the last two years, is lack of cleaners. But I have a couple people working on it now, so it should all get done. Also, I've been scanning and archiving all the color pages from Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. So it'll have that.
    Thanks for your hard work. I hope your efforts can help bring notice to this overlooked series and create more fans.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast