Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto

Oh so Ki-oon finally decided to pick it. That's a great news because it's a very good editor which will make effort in promoting the title. Thanks Ahmed and Cecile.
    I just read the 'The most difficult chapter' which ends the kid arc. I sympathize with the author, the parallel between Monoko and Tarouza panels was really nice. I understand Matt previous posts better now.

---------- Post added November 11, 2013 at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was November 07, 2013 at 11:39 PM ----------

Why has this manga been marked as completed ? There are still a few months left.

Bad eyesight |Doraku
    Last edited by Doraku; December 07, 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see the scans are out, I certainly be yelling out like an annoying spazz to get everyone I know to read it since it's free and so I can finally stop hearing about attack on titan for a change (joking, I ignore it anyway) but since this is one of the only manga series I actually read as a book first, I'll be sticking with the U.S. releases which since the series is about to end with it's final volume next year shouldn't be so bad. It'll be a bit of a pain since i want more people to read the series but I guess I can think of it like handling a bomb= throw, get the fuck outta there and watch the fireworks. (I'm already running so I can't just put on my shades and walk it off)
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy3331 View Post
    I'll be sticking with the U.S. releases which since the series is about to end with it's final volume next year shouldn't be so bad.
    I said this too before I knew it was ending next March. I asked Kodansha USA if they would do a release speed-up, and they said it wasn't feasible. At the 2 volumes a year release pace, we will have to wait until the end of 2016 to read the ending...So yeah, I'll still buy the books when they come out, but I decided to cave and read the scans. I just can't wait that long.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

From your posts I have the impression you give a major importance to sales to decide if a serie is good/interesting or not. It's true that it can give a good indication but it is certainly not sufficient. In particular, not saying something as definitive as Attack on Titan is more interesting. And not giving any more arguments.
    I find that Doubutsu no kuni has many interesting concepts that make it a very good read (The 3 stages of ages. The cool design of the animals. The barrier of languages...)
    So of course it is a classic shounen in some aspects and there is no people dying every chapter. I still have to understand why so many readers want aboslutely some character death to make a manga interesting... Attack on Titan is a dark shonen and that seems what people like at the moment given the success of other title like Terra Formars (personally I really didn't get into this one).

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure to blame everything on the low circulation of magazine since there are other series which able to meet success despite of serializing in minor magazine, such as Shingeki no Kyojin, Thermae Romae, Sakamoto Desuga?, Saint Young Men, etc.

Yeah, I already said that in the Oricon thread. You even quoted the post. My point was that since the tank sales are low, and the magazine sales are relatively low, then it is pretty clear that there are a ton of potential readers out there who haven't had the chance to discover this great series. It's not as if the magazine sales are high and millions of people have tried it and didn't like it. And it's not as if the tank sales were high at first, and people didn't like it and dropped it.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Attack on Titan is a dark shonen and that seems what people like at the moment given the success of other title like Terra Formars (personally I really didn't get into this one).
    Doubutsu no Kuni can actually get pretty dark at times and has pretty graphic violence(makes me surprised that it won in the children's category for the Kodansha Manga Award), so I think fans of dark shonen like Attack on Titan would enjoy it if they gave it a shot.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Doubutsu no Kuni can actually get pretty dark at times and has pretty graphic violence(makes me surprised that it won in the children's category for the Kodansha Manga Award), so I think fans of dark shonen like Attack on Titan would enjoy it if they gave it a shot.
    Isn't most of action series get dark as they serialize and not just for this series?

Also, I don't think just being dark will lead to big success for the series.
    Last edited by Kaizou 10; November 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We released volume 13 of this. A really great volume. I really liked the emotion and how they expanded on Jyu, Giller, and Kuou's characters. It reminds me of a lot of the big battles from Gash.

Volume 14 is gonna be the last volume. Just one issue in the magazine is out so far, and the volume is going to come out about a month after the last chapter comes out. It'll be released March 6th based on the last page of this volume. Should be awesome.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Full image for its final volume:

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Volume 14, the final volume, is out.

I have to say, I really wasn't feeling that final battle with the mass swarm of animals. Thematically though, it did the series justice and ended just about as good as it possibly could while dealing with those subjects. And I loved the 7 years later epilogue
    Spoiler show
    . Great series overall. One of my favorites.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3