Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kanzenban editions.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Kanzenban editions.

Hi, I love manga *I am sure all users of mangahelpers do, otherwise well.. Why be here? LOL* anyway the mangas I like to collect the most are kanzenban editions, though so far I have only got like 3 different mangas SLAM DUNK complete, Ruroken 1 and Houshin Engi 18..

I open this topic to talk about kanzenban manga, whether you own one or not this is the topic to talk about it

With the recent conclusion of Prince of Tennis Season 1 Kanzenban, I thought for sure a new Kanzenban release was inminent (Most new kanzenban were announced when the current kanzenban wasn't finished, i.e. Hikaru No Go kanzenban was announced like a week before Shaman King Kanzeban hit stores in Japan) but alas, the PoT S1 kanzenban line has ended and no new info on a Jump Kanzenban has been announced .. Does anyone know what's up with that?? Maybe someone with the newest WSJ saw an add for the new kanzenban?? Or maybe Shueisha is just waiting to announce the Season 2 Kanzenban of PoT..??
    Anyway.. This topic is for everything kanzenban, reviewing, ranting, wish-list, what kanzenban do you want to see released, etc types of topics

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kanzenban editions.

I don't own any, but my mom owns the kanzenban for Haikara-san ga Tooru and the manga version of Genji Monogatari. I like everything to be compact so if I could, I would try like to buy all manga with 20+ volumes to be in a kanzenban format. XD

Right now I'm hoping to have Hikaru no Go and hopefully there will be a kanzenban edition for FMA.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:

Asarii wrote:

I like everything to be compact so if I could, I would try like to buy all manga with 20+ volumes to be in a kanzenban format. XD
    Nice to see that there are some enthusiast in here
    I don´t mind to sound rude but Kanzenban are not compact at all, they are bigger and heavier than most manga formats I have seen (Except for Viz Bigs), if you like compact manga I would recommend going for the bunkoban type of manga, though they don´t contain colored pages.
    As for FMA Viz is going to release some 3-in-1 Omnibus in Mid 2011 IIRC, similar to the One Piece omnibi released last year, it doesn´t have good quality, good price, no color pages, so is more like a bunkoban than a kanzenban, and as you might have guessed its compact compared to 3 separeted volumes

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You weren't rude at all, don't worry. When I said "compact" I meant it as I would rather have 12 chapters in a single volume rather than 6 so it would physically turn out bigger than a normal volume. It makes me sad when I read a volume and finish it... I always want to read more in a single sitting!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    You weren't rude at all, don't worry. When I said "compact" I meant it as I would rather have 12 chapters in a single volume rather than 6 so it would physically turn out bigger than a normal volume. It makes me sad when I read a volume and finish it... I always want to read more in a single sitting!
    Actually, it's three volumes in one book.

I'd like kanzeban for Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho. I think Dragon Ball and Z are finished? One Piece is also ongoing.

I'm thinking about Detective Conan, but I'd probably get bored again in the middle.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhm, does anybody know if there are English kanzeban? I know that there are Viz Big editions, but aren't those like omnibi? I'd really like to own Dragonball and Rurouni Kenshin kanzeban (due to the paper quality and pretty covers ). I also wouldn't mind having Shaman King kanzeban.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Barnes and Nobles has 'em. There's definitely Dragon Ball kanzenban in two Barnes and Nobles (one confirmed) and Waldenbooks. Same with Rurouni Kenshin.

You checked with your local bookstores? Try their site.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:

M3J wrote:

I'd like kanzeban for Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho. I think Dragon Ball and Z are finished? One Piece is also ongoing.
    Both YYH and DB have kanzenban editions while NARUTO and ONE PIECE don´t have kanzenban editions, they are collected in big WSJ sized issues (Sometimes with as much as 1,000 pages IIRC) with all colored pages and some extra material called SCROLLs and LOGs respectively.

Quote Quote:

CrudeCross wrote:

Uhm, does anybody know if there are English kanzeban? I know that there are Viz Big editions, but aren't those like omnibi? I'd really like to own Dragonball and Rurouni Kenshin kanzeban (due to the paper quality and pretty covers ). I also wouldn't mind having Shaman King kanzeban.
    VizBig=/=Kanzenban

Kanzenban.

Bigger than the normal volumes, higher quality print and paper, all color pages from weekly serialization.
    Though Kanzenban are literally named "Perfect Edition" In my opinion they are far from "Perfect" since most times they will lack the extras that were found on the tankoubons.. I.e. If you have Rurouni Kenshin normal volumes there are lots of author notes and character infos, that is not in the kanzenban, the kanzenbans also lack covers from Weekly Shonen Jump, also you won´t get the old volume covers in any form (Though the kanzenban comes with new covers most of the times) and other thing I think would be cool to have is every TOC monologue from the respective author.. THEN the publisher would have a "Perfect Editon".. OK enough ranting LOL, but that´d be how I describe the Kanzenban.

VizBig.
    These are basically 3-in-1 normal volumes BUT with higher quality paper and ink (Though comparable to Kanzenbans and VizBig being bigger than kanzenbans, I still think Quality is overall better in the Kanzenbans) they also contain SOME COLOR PAGES thats incredibly irritating if you ask me since they could have included all color pages and leads me to believe VizBig is a way of testing waters with higher-quality releases.
    There are other weird Viz line of products resembling Kanzenbans but none are that, Collector´s Edition have all color pages that should have but they are pricy and just volume 1 of certain series was released, other format I´d like to see is the one in Death Note Black Edition is a 2-in-1 volume with color pages, I haven´t been able to read a physical copy so I can´t say much but they appear to be very nice. And finally Omnibi editions right now just ONE PIECE is printed under this label, but soon NARUTO, BLEACH, Kekkaishi and Full Metal Alchemist will follow, this aren´t like Kanzenban at all but I´d still list them since they are weird formats Viz is experimenting with, 3-in-1 cheap volumes, they are the counterpart to VizBig which is 3-in-1 expensive (Or not so cheap) volumes.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, is this a kanzeban?

I haven't seen YYH kanzeban, but I have seen One Piece kanzeban. But I'm not 100% sure what kanzeban is so please provide examples if it's not what I linked.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No that's just Viz being cheap an sticking 3 volumes in one book.

There are no One Piece Kanzenbans. Kanzenbans come out after the entire series is done and usually come out once a month or something like that close together.
    They're generally more expensive, have more chapters in each book, larger pages and keep in all the color pages and sometimes bonus things. One Piece has
    'logs' which are like recap sorta things where they take select important chapters from an arc.
    The Yuu Yuu Hakusho Kanzenbans look like this:

These are (some of) the Dragonball Kanzenbans:

Kanzenbans means "complete edition" and they're generally more expensive than the tankoubons (which just means "separate volume") which come out originally.
    They sometimes also have aishoubans which are also a kind of collector's edition and bukoubans which basically means like "paperback edition". Those are smaller, pocket-sized books and are a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by kewl0210; February 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

11. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunko editions of YuYu are currently being released, Click to see. Naruto will likely get a kanzenban edition after serialization ends.

Does anyone know the difference between kanzenban and bunko?

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have a kanzenban edition of Naruto,because i heard that you can actually make everything you want like re-drawing whole chapters or writing an alternative end like in Shaman King's case.I heard that Kishimoto was influenced a lot by his editors.For example,he had to include Suigetsu,Karin and Juugo because the editors wanted it.I don't think he'd actually bother working this much,but i'd love to see it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

So I take it kanzenban are exclusive to Japan (and perhaps some other countries)? If so, its a shame. I'd really like to buy Dragonball and Rurouni Kenshin kanzenban editions. I wouldn't mind buying Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Shaman King either .

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they aren't exclusive for Japan as they can be licensed is just a question of whether other county's publisher wants to do so or not, in fact there are some countries that have kanzenban editions that are not in Japan like China and possibly Spain in the future (Glenat Spain is trying to convince Shogakukan to provide material for a Kanzenban of Ranma 1/2 for Spain)

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We get VIZbig in the states, from what I told they are closer to bunko than kazenban though. Rurouni, Vagabond, Inuyasha, Fushigi Yuugi, Hot Gimmick, Dragonball and Dragonball Z have all come out in that format. They are bigger, have the color pages restored, better paper quality, have new cover art, and three volumes per book. Solanin was also released in the same style, both volumes with color pages restored. All seinen released by VIZ have larger dimensions than tankobon, even if they are only one volume per book.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast