Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kanzenban editions.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kanzenban editions.

In the United States there are some manga that have been published in Bunko format, the only one I can think of in this moment is GTO: The early years, that's a bunko, 2 volumes in 1, but the quality of the pages wasn't increased in Tokyopop's release and the size was the same as all Tokyopop's releases *DVD size* whilst a normal bunkoban is smaller than a tankoubon.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Yuber's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    No, they aren't exclusive for Japan as they can be licensed is just a question of whether other county's publisher wants to do so or not, in fact there are some countries that have kanzenban editions that are not in Japan like China and possibly Spain in the future (Glenat Spain is trying to convince Shogakukan to provide material for a Kanzenban of Ranma 1/2 for Spain)
    In fact the Slam Dunk kanzenban are already licensed in Spain by Ivrea and they have already published up to volume 6.

Spoiler show
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic49526_2.gif

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner aozora.he's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I love kanzenban editions *O*
    In Italy we have a bunch of them like Dragonball, Saint Seiya, Gokinjo Monogatari, Paradise Kiss, Shaman King, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Slamdunk, these three still on-going. I'm currently collecting - well, since I'm not in Italy, all my series are "on hold" but, still - Slamdunk and I will probably collect Shaman King, too.

Talking about japanese original kanzenbans, I have the first four volumes of Hikaru no Go and I'd like to buy the other volumes, is one of my favourite manga and I went all-fangirling when I found out about the re-edition. Too bad one volume costs 1000 yen - a little bit too much, right now. I also have the last volume of YYH kanzenban and I came here in Japan sure to end up buying the whole manga. One day, I've spotted Yusuke on the table of the new releases and there it was, the bunkoban, so cute and so cheap! I had to buy that one so I probably won't buy the kanzenban anymore. One day I will also get my filthy hand on PoT kanzenban but, again, it's too expensive for me now.

I would sell my soul to Satan to see an Eyeshield 21 kanzenban. That would be awsome. To see a Neuro kanzenban would be even better but that possibility is just too remote. Also a Claymore kanzenban would be much appreciated

In the future I guess that OP, Naruto and Bleach will get kanzenban, even if they are too long and to collect all that volumes would be too expensive.

Talking about non-WSJ manga, I would like to see a Berserk kanzenban and also an Oofuri one. The first because I love the art and I think a re-edition would a) sell well and b) be a good tribute to Berserk. The latter is just for my own pleasure

myanimelist
    (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops, it turns out I was confused! My mom has the bunkobon instead. My desire to buy the kanzenban for HnG and FMA still stands. I also saw a kanzenban edition of Monster at BOOK OFF, which I hope to purchase as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    They're generally more expensive, have more chapters in each book, larger pages and keep in all the color pages and sometimes bonus things.
    I wouldn't mind paying for more since what you get out of the kanzenban is well worth it; especially the colour pages. It'll make a nice gift as a set.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    aozora.he wrote: Also a Claymore kanzenban would be much appreciated

In the future I guess that OP, Naruto and Bleach will get kanzenban, even if they are too long and to collect all that volumes would be too expensive.
    OP, Naruto and Claymore do have a type of kanzenban but they are like a Weekly Shonen Jump, I havent actually seen/touched/read any of those kanzenban magazines but I think the quality of the paper/ink should be like a WSJ since they are very cheap (Around 1,000Y for like 1,000 pages in some IIRC) OP are called LOGS, Naruto SCROLLS as for Claymore I cant remember the name of the compilation but it was published around the time the anime began airing and has 3 volumes that have all color pages from volume 1 to 10 more or less..
    Quote Quote:

azora.he wrote:

I love kanzenban editions *O*
    In Italy we have a bunch of them like Dragonball, Saint Seiya, Gokinjo Monogatari, Paradise Kiss, Shaman King, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Slamdunk, these three still on-going. I'm currently collecting - well, since I'm not in Italy, all my series are "on hold" but, still - Slamdunk and I will probably collect Shaman King, too.
    I have been wanting to buy some kanzenbans from Italy because they are so cheap (Well compared to Japan) I am glad you have both Japanese and Italian kanzenban, are there any diferent in the quality of the paper/ink/covers? I know they must be since Italy Kanzenbans are way cheaper, last time I checked a DB kanzenban was 4 Euros against Japan's 1,000Y (Almost 9 euros)
    Last edited by perroloco; February 14, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

BUMP!
    "New" kanzenban edition, Prince of Tennis Kanzenban Season 2

RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to be a nag, but...
    It's either "Kanzenban" or "Complete Edition". Or, if you want, call it "Kanzen Edition".

Don't call it Kanzenban Edition because the word "Ban" is already edition. :P

And those "magazines" are NOT Kanzenban, but, rather, a digest/anthology of past chapters.

Here are a list of "Special Editions" that has been mentioned or related to the topic:

単行本/Tankoubon: Regular/Common Volumes of Manga
    文庫本/Bunkobon: Smaller but thicker than Tankouban. Printed on better paper. Most of time it would include the color spread/illustration that was not included in Tankouban.
    愛蔵版/Aizouban (collector's edition) and 完全版/Kanzenban (complete edition): Bigger, thicker, and printed on excellent paper. Includes all color illustrations.
    総集編/Soushuuhen (Compilation): Printed in magazine format and paper mostly, these are meant to bring some of the newer readers up to speed. Think of it as those TV episodes where you have a lot of old footages... It would usually include some extra materials (like, for the 3 Claymore Soushuuhen, they included some character information and analysis).

For Berserk, I doubt it'll have a Kanzenban before it's ended, simply because Hakusensha has yet to release a title in Kanzenban/Aizouban that's on-going.

As for Oofuri... The only on-going series that's made into Kanzenban by Kodansha is Ah! My Goddess, so the chance for that is pretty remote as well.
    "Ask... And you might receive..."
    The Finestela Thread

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you aren´t a nag (whatever that is LOL) I know Kanzen editions would be the correct term, its just that with the years I got used to forum members, internet articles (I mostly read spanish, I am from Mexico) calling the editions Kanzenban editions, its a hard-to-kill habit.

As for those magazines, is hard to tell, at least the Rokudenashi BLUES is listed in wikipedia as a "magazine-like Kanzenban" (Check the first entry, is for Shueisha titles, the one that says "BLUES") although I reckon neither ONE PIECE, NARUTO or Claymore magazines are there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I never knew they actually called the ones for Rokudenashi Blues that... It did explain in the entry the format is closer to Soushuuhen than regular Kanzenban, but why did they call that in the first place... Jeez...

Shueisha loves putting these magazine soushuuhen out, because they know that hardcore fans would buy them even if they already own the tanks (a cheap way to milk extra money?)

It's not just OP, Naruto, and Claymore... They were also ones for Beelze, Gantz, Liar Game, Odagiri Kyouko no Uso, JoJo... And these are just the ones I remembered/bought.
    The Finestela Thread

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

You are telling me there are Soushuuhen of Jojo? Does that mean these have all the color pages of their original publication? Because the Rokudenashi BLUES, ONE PIECE, Naruto and Claymore does have them.
    EDIT: FINESTELA, a quick search has shown me that the Shoushuuhen indeed include the colored pages, thank you
    EDIT2: Also, if you know of any other publisher that makes books like these please contribute ..
    Sadly, the Jojo's reprint is long out of print, is from 2007 print because of the movie-hype, maybe looking on yeasia or other manga sites would help...
    Last edited by perroloco; March 29, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It usually includes the color pages of whatever chapters they have in there, but not more. It also doesn't include the magazine cover art, which is a shame :/

Shoushuuhen always goes out of print really fast, usually faster than magazines... I remember for Claymore ones, I had to order the second volume from s-book.com because they had already run out at amazon and bk1... in less than a month :/

There's also ones for Doraemon from Shogakukan, but otherwise, I can't really recall any non-Shueisha ones...

Oh, and now I remember which ones I missed... D.Gray-man Shoushuuhen... For someone who bought most of the DGM publications out there (databook, light novels, the artbook, and the regular tanks), it'll always be a pain in my heart to not buy those 3 volumes of shoushuuhen... sigh...

I'm sure there are more from Shueisha, but I'm too lazy to look them up (or, rather, just don't care for them :P)
    The Finestela Thread

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to also be aware that Soushuuhens aren't really like, the whole series. They're like Shonen Jump Magazine sized recaps that go over a few important chapters and sometimes have extra posters and stuff. But they're not meant to go over the whole series.

Where as Bunkoubans are basically paperback editions. They're cheap and have more content per book, they're meant to make a completed series easier to buy.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    You need to also be aware that Soushuuhens aren't really like, the whole series. They're like Shonen Jump Magazine sized recaps that go over a few important chapters and sometimes have extra posters and stuff. But they're not meant to go over the whole series.

Where as Bunkoubans are basically paperback editions. They're cheap and have more content per book, they're meant to make a completed series easier to buy.
    I'm not sure that's a good analogy, since there's never any "hardcover" edition of manga around. While it holds true for regular publications, it doesn't apply for manga. Not to mention Bunko actually uses better quality paper than regular tanks, and usually includes the color spread (at least that's the case for the ones I bought).

As for the price, it's only slightly cheaper (for Please Save My Earth, the regular tanks would cost roughly 8400 yen, while the bunkouban would cost 7800 yen) in most cases.
    The Finestela Thread

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah so this is a Soushuuhen:

That explains why the cover looks a bit like a magazine ! So these are like recaps/clipshows right, in that they feature important chapters/scenes? Are the One Piece Logs Soushuuhen?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They usually feature the most important "arcs" as well as the best fights.
    The Finestela Thread

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast