Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Seinen and Alternative Manga Magazines

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Seinen and Alternative Manga Magazines

This thread is the result of a conversation in the seinen hangout thread. It was noted that their are few resources or information about seinen publications, aside from a few well known magazines. Below is a list, organized by publisher of magazine. I would like to add additional information about magazines. If anyone can find media guides or confirmed publisher information it would be nice to have demographic breakdowns, circulations, and historic information included. I already have the Shueisha Media Guide, so no need for that. Consider this thread a continuous work in progress. For now I am only going to post currently published magazines.

Spoiler: Akita Shoten show

Spoiler: ASCII Mediaworks show

Spoiler: Enterbrain show

Spoiler: Futabasha show

Spoiler: Gentosha show

Spoiler: Hakusensha show

Spoiler: Hobunsha show

Spoiler: Kodansha show

Spoiler: Ohta Books show

Spoiler: Seirinkogeisha show

Spoiler: Shogakukan show

Spoiler: Shueisha show

Spoiler: Square Enix show

Will be updated with other publishers as I get the time.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 08, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

2. Thanks 12 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    1day refers to the 3 magazines of Kodansha named after a part of a day (morning, afternoon, evening). I'm not sure if there is an editorial coherence between the 3, Kaiten probably knows more about that
    fx comic is the label under which are printed the manga prepublished in Manga Erotics F in particular
    They are independent but meant to compliment each other. Rather than have one magazine that appeals to a broad audience they have three, each appealing to a slightly different segment and different age groups. There is a degree of stylistic coherence between the three but they are more independent than say WSJ and SQ are from each other. There are some very famous 1Day manga that most casual manga fans would know: Genshiken, Vagabond, Chi's Sweet Home, Mushishi, Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga, Oh My Goddess, and Historie come to mind.

Manga Erotics F is a bi-monthly alternative manga magazine similar to IKKI or Comic Beam. It is not hentai if anyone is wondering.

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seinen and Alternative Manga Magazines

Aren't all magazines pretty much mainstream? Or is the alternative label about something different? I mean is there such a thing as "underground" magazines? Though I suppose some web releases like Paperakyu could fall into alternative, or more independent ways of placing the manga "out there".

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Serious Sam's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

my favorite seinen magazine would be Weekly Young Jump I really want to read a manga from Grand Jump
    plus would Jump X considered a Seinen magazine too.
    Last edited by Serious Sam; May 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Shueisha and Kodansha Forever!

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Jump X is seinen.
    Most of these are still fairly mainstream. Non-mainstream would be like, the self-published stuff or webcomics like NEET-sha. But these are slightly lesser known. Once in a while there's a jem among them.
    I think the idea was these are "Seinen magazines" and also "Alternative magazines". Not "Alternative Seinen Magazines". Alternative being like, really weird stuff like this:
    http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/category/alternative/

Obviously, something like Young Animal isn't an alternative magazine, having Berserk and 3-Gatsu no Lion which are two of the most popular manga in Japan in them.
    Last edited by kewl0210; May 29, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Aren't all magazines pretty much mainstream? Or is the alternative label about something different? I mean is there such a thing as "underground" magazines? Though I suppose some web releases like Paperakyu could fall into alternative, or more independent ways of placing the manga "out there".
    There is a tradition of underground manga in Japan dating back to the late 50's, preceding even many of the earliest seinen magazines. Garo, which began publication in 1964, is probably the most famous of the older alternative magazine. There continues to be magazines that follow in Garo's footsteps with IKKI, Manga Erotics F, and Comic Beam being the most famous. AX, Garo's successor, is also a well known example of alternative publications. So is the now defunct Comic Cue. Alternative manga do not have to be serialized in alternative magazines. Some of the best known Japanese practitioners of the La Nouvelle movement such as Matsumoto Taiyo, Taniguchi Jiro, Oda Hideji, and Anno Moyoko have seen most of their work serialized in mainstream magazines. Others alternative artists such as Igarashi Daisuke have been serialized in both mainstream and alternative publications. Furuya Usamaru has even been serialized in such legendary underground magazines as Garo and Comic Cue, but has also twice been serialized in Jump SQ. Aside from a few "pure" alternative publications (AX, NEET-Sha) it's kind of nebulous terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    Yeah, Jump X is seinen.
    Most of these are still fairly mainstream. Non-mainstream would be like, the self-published stuff or webcomics like NEET-sha. But these are slightly lesser known. Once in a while there's a jem among them.
    I think the idea was these are "Seinen magazines" and also "Alternative magazines". Not "Alternative Seinen Magazines". Alternative being like, really weird stuff like this:
    http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/category/alternative/

Obviously, something like Young Animal isn't an alternative magazine, having Berserk and 3-Gatsu no Lion which are two of the most popular manga in Japan in them.
    Shueisha declined to give Jump X a demographic, instead describing it (I paraphrase) as a "pure manga magazine". Instead they gathered mangaka with experience in seinen, josei, shounen magazines, and dumped them all in one anthology. Shueisha seems to be edging away from defining demographics recently. Chorus was recently rechristened Cocohana and curiously promoted as "a shoujo magazine for adults".

If anyone is interested: Garden, the first title in the page Kewl linked to, is by the mangaka of Genkaku Picasso and Teiichi no Kuni.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gananime's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't find a thread specific to Afternoon (I found one for Morning though), I wanted to know: Is Kabu no Isaki ongoing or has it ended? It has been getting regular updates these days, hence I asked. I was of the opinion that it's an irregularly serialized series and hence so less chapters..
    On a side note, I love Ashinano sensei's works...Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is my all time favorite (I wonder why it's not getting licensed in English)...and Kabu no Isaki is pretty good too.
    I wonder if he'll start another series!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Heiji's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Is Kabu no Isaki ongoing or has it ended?
    End.

New Reply