Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "Foreign Talent" in J-Music Industry

  1. #1
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Singapore
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    "Foreign Talent" in J-Music Industry

    There are many instances of foreigners entering the Japanese music industry to try and make a name. It's understandable, seeing as Japan boasts one of the largest music industries in the world Some of these artists are already famous at home, others kinda, couldn't make it at home, so they ventured to Japan to see if they could make it big.

    I hope I'm not being too presumptuous in classifying them into these 2 categories, but here are a few examples off the top of my head:

    Already Famous in Home Country, Expanding Base
    - DBSK/TVXQ [Korea]
    - Kara [Korea]
    - Big Bang [Korea]
    - Rainie Yang [Taiwan]

    Couldn't Make it in Home Country, Trying Their Luck
    - Utada Hikaru [USA]
    - Itou Yuna [Hawaii]
    - Monkey Majik [Canada]
    - Jero [USA]

    What are your opinions on these singers/groups moving into the Japanese market? Are they a threat to "authentic"/"local" Japanese talents?

    There have also been some calls for these artistes, despite singing in Japanese, to be ranked on a separate chart and not the "Hougaku" (Japanese music) charts by Oricon to give local artistes a chance to get higher ranks. What do you think?

  2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #2
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Foreign Talent" in J-Music Industry

    One foreign artist I know is Beckii Cruel, but I prefer not to talk about her. LOL My favourite gaijin musicians are Monkey Majik and Jero. I also like BoA too.

    Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    What are your opinions on these singers/groups moving into the Japanese market? Are they a threat to "authentic"/"local" Japanese talents?
    Personally I don't mind. The more artists there are in the Japanese market, the more people will buy CDs. It'll be good for the record companies. On a less economic note I think foreign artists will bring something new to the Japanese music scene. They would have had different influences since they were raised in a different culture.

    Quote Quote:
    There have also been some calls for these artistes, despite singing in Japanese, to be ranked on a separate chart and not the "Hougaku" (Japanese music) charts by Oricon to give local artistes a chance to get higher ranks. What do you think?
    Hmm, I feel a bit uncomfortable about that since it's ostracizing these artists in a way.

  4. #3
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Country
    Singapore
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Foreign Talent" in J-Music Industry

    Ah, Beckii Cruel I obviously blocked her from my memory She got to where she is based on luck - she's not particularly a good dancer, nor can she really sing. But other gaijin like DBSK, Monkey Majik and Jero actually have talent.

    So in their case I don't really mind that they're "invading" the J-music scene. In fact, if these talented gaijin artists come to Japan, they could raise the quality of Japanese music not only in the way you've mentioned (bringing different culture), but even raising competitiveness and raising the bar for local artists too.

    Usually I would agree with you about not putting foreign artists who sing in Japanese on a different chart. But I remember there was a certain week last year I think, where the top 10 or so were ALL Korean artists That was pretty bad, even truly talented local artists were pushed all the way off the top 10 because of Korean boy bands and what not

  5. #4
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Foreign Talent" in J-Music Industry

    Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Ah, Beckii Cruel I obviously blocked her from my memory She got to where she is based on luck - she's not particularly a good dancer, nor can she really sing. But other gaijin like DBSK, Monkey Majik and Jero actually have talent.
    I'm sorry I reminded you of her. It makes you wonder if anyone can become an idol these days. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's not mainstream so I don't think the average Japanese would know about her. Perhaps (and hopefully).

    Quote Quote:
    So in their case I don't really mind that they're "invading" the J-music scene. In fact, if these talented gaijin artists come to Japan, they could raise the quality of Japanese music not only in the way you've mentioned (bringing different culture), but even raising competitiveness and raising the bar for local artists too.
    Competitiveness is always good. Hopefully it'll motivate the local artists to produce the best quality songs.

    Quote Quote:
    Usually I would agree with you about not putting foreign artists who sing in Japanese on a different chart. But I remember there was a certain week last year I think, where the top 10 or so were ALL Korean artists That was pretty bad, even truly talented local artists were pushed all the way off the top 10 because of Korean boy bands and what not
    I never knew that! Now that I know about the context of the situation, it definitely gives a whole new light. I can see where Oricon is coming from with a prospective "Hougaku" ranking.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts