Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Go Go! Pudding Empire by KUBOTA Makoto

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Go! Pudding Empire by KUBOTA Makoto

Go Go! Pudding Empire
    By: Kubota Makoto
    Genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi
    Serialized In: GanGan Comics Special, Reprint under Young GanGan label
    Mangaupdates
    Mangascreener

The pudding empire's home planet only has a lifespan left of one year. Thus, they aim to invade Earth and make it their own... but first they've got to wipe out those annoying humans who are currently inhabiting the planet. Planning an invasion turns out to be much easier said than done, especially when your human-killing monsters start having problems with morale, sickness, family issues, and so forth...

This manga is linked to Tentai Senshi Sunred in that characters of the Pudding Empire have made cameos in Sunred. It's one of those cases that defies demographics; as it originally was published in a shounen magazine, but later reprinted under a seinen imprint. Though it gives off a feeling that it could fit in both; I like to call it seinen myself though. And since I'm the translator, I get the last say. ;p
    Last edited by barbapapa; December 01, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Go Go! Pudding Empire

It seems they try to distance themselves from the humans but in the end they always do human like things. They try to invade them, a human feature that is from the beginning condemned to them. That is how I understood the comedy here. And it did seem shounen at first but the comedy is like I would read in most of seinen. The characters are hilarious, though the story is doing things over and over, pretty good all in all.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

It actually gets better further along the manga, this was Kubota's first real serial so it was kinda dodgy in the beginning.
    Not sure when I plan to continue it though. In terms of translation projects I feel like I first want to get Sachiko & Neko-sama done.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

He was trying to figure out what he would do with the story. It was rather confusing, but each chapter improved with the next. Good idea since he was a beginner to keep it short, many would be more enthusiastic about their works and start of with a lot of confidence. He did good, I do believe he was planing the characters a bit more from the start. Thanks for the scans hope you find time to continue.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the setting is merely a means to an end, but in a manga like this it's all about establishing character traits you can exploit. Once he gets into a groove with this manga, it's really funny.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The characters are the best part, after all humor and comedy are build upon the weakness of certain characters, and whats his name the adviser is by far the funniest of the bunch! The monsters are also hilarious and the aliens on the planet who serve as the "people" are just too funny when they are confused.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing in this manga is the Jersey Squad though. I can't recall if I released a chapter featuring them yet...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Jersey Shore squad? Lol, really? Haha I do not recall that, it must be later on, though how far is this manga in Japan, it's still ongoing I presume?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really, it's a rather old manga. Ended at 6 volumes in the late 90's; the version we're working from is the 4-volume reprint.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good news regarding to this, I am planning a re-release of the first 25 chapters (fixed some stuff), and releasing the remaining 9 of volume 1 at Mangascreener around the holidays.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Go Go! Pudding Empire by KUBOTA Makoto

First volume is DONE! Get it at Mangascreener.com!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Go Go! Pudding Empire by KUBOTA Makoto

Just started to read a few chapters. I like this kind of humor. I'm really curious how it can end in 6 volumes without being too repetitive.
    Anyway it has a Shadock vibe which is quite a good sign

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah liking this kind of comedy is key in such series, I would say seinen comedies are the hardest to get into, they are not for everyone, it's more like you like it or you don't. The humor here is based on characters as much as situations which means if you like the characters the comedy will just flow in.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Just started to read a few chapters. I like this kind of humor. I'm really curious how it can end in 6 volumes without being too repetitive.
    Anyway it has a Shadock vibe which is quite a good sign
    The version I'm working off is actually 4 volumes. The 6-volume print was about 130 pages per volume, so now it's about 190 per book.

New Reply