Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Discussion Thread

Oh, there's one OVA for Hellsing?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Oh, there's one OVA for Hellsing?
    Now I'm fully confused
    There is one OVA series for Hellsing, called Hellsing Ultimate. It contains six OVA Episodes.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh. There's no other OVAs, then?

Why can't people just be simple and say the name of the series instead of OVAs? Simplicity makes life easier, folks!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

there's the "original" old Hellsing series of ~13 or 26 episodes/NON-ovas (I think), which doesn't have any nazis, and the graphics are old/oldschool.

and there's the new Hellsing:

Hellsing Ultimate

these are done as OVAs, though it's becoming a series, with 7 OVAs out, and we're awaiting the 8th... (argh), and I think it's going to go to ~11 OVAs.

-------------------------------------------------------

(old) FMA: (old) Hellsing (NON-ovas series)

(new) FMA Brotherhood : (new) Hellsing Ultimate (OVA series)

------------------------------------------

if you do a simple youtube.com search of Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, you can clearly see the difference in graphics, slightly fuzzy-like oldschool graphics of Hellsing vs the sharp new today's anime's graphics of Hellsing Ultimate

or see here:

Spoiler: Warning: Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate are mature animes/mangas: Gore/Adult show
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; February 21, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the new list of the nominees we have so far. If you notice any errors, please let me know.

Awards Categories

Quote Quote:
    Best Male Lead
    Spoiler show

Best Male supporting character
    Spoiler show

Best Female Lead
    Spoiler show

Best Female supporting character
    Spoiler show

Best Male Seiyuu
    Spoiler show

Best Female Seiyuu
    Spoiler show

Best Opening Theme
    Spoiler show

Best Ending Theme
    Spoiler show

Best Insert Song
    Spoiler show

Best Anime Soundtrack
    Spoiler show

Best Comedy
    Spoiler show

Best Action
    Spoiler show

Best Romance
    Spoiler show

Best Drama
    Spoiler show

Best Mystery
    Spoiler show

Best Slice of Life
    Spoiler show

Best Sports
    Spoiler show

Best Horror
    Spoiler show

Best Sci-Fi
    Spoiler show

Best Fantasy
    Spoiler show

Best Costume Design
    Spoiler show

Best Villain
    Spoiler show

Best Death
    Spoiler show

Best Fight
    Spoiler show

Best Kiss
    Spoiler show

Best Episode
    Spoiler show

Best Couple
    Spoiler show

Best Full Cast
    Spoiler show

Best Animation TV series
    Spoiler show

Best Animation OVAs
    Spoiler show

Best Animation Movies
    Spoiler show

Best Opening (animation-wise)
    Spoiler show

Best Ending (animation-wise)
    Spoiler show

Best Artwork/Art Style
    Spoiler show

Best WTF Moment

Spoiler show

Best plot-twist
    Spoiler show

Best OVA
    Spoiler show

Best Movie
    Spoiler show

Best Adaptation – Manga
    Spoiler show

Best Adaptation – Light Novel
    Spoiler show

Best Adaptation – Visual Novel/Games
    Spoiler show

Best Original Series (Not based off of a manga, visual novel, light novel or game)
    Spoiler show

Best Alteration of Story Line
    Spoiler show

Best Studio
    Spoiler show

Best Old School Anime (only anime older than 2000 can participate in this award category)
    Spoiler show

Best Anime for 2010 / Best new series (anime first subbed in 2010 will be also accepted for this award category)
    Spoiler show

Best Ongoing Anime (only anime that have started airing before 2011 can participate in this award category)
    Spoiler show

Best Anime Overall (only anime that has ended can participate in this award category
    Spoiler show
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a confusion about Hellsing looks like I was the one bringing it up, sorry for that guys! I didn't thought of the name when I was nominating it

I wonder why there's so little input by the members, at least if you look at the manga Award, which was quite popular. It's sad to see that there are only a few people participating so far, this award definitely deserves a lot more interest

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this *is* MangaHelpers, after all We were already expecting a smaller response than we had for the Manga awards. It would be nice to see more nominations though~ So tell your friends about it

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga reading members can still make nominations (I did the opposite for the Manga Awards, as I've only read/reading Claymore manga thus far, hehe), as anime and manga are usually closely similar in story/plot. Obviously, there's some categories that are anime only, like animations and music/songs.

I'm not sure if it's entirely that few people watch anime, it might have to do more with having just had the manga awards and members had already said/nominated what they wanted to in it so they don't have much reason now to participate in the anime awards, and/or members are just more busy with RL, work and/or school stuff, during this time.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; February 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I wonder why there's so little input by the members, at least if you look at the manga Award, which was quite popular. It's sad to see that there are only a few people participating so far, this award definitely deserves a lot more interest
    Several reasons for me:

- too many categories. I wanted a few more categories in the manga awards but here there are way too much.

- There are less discussion also because there are two threads. Quoting in one thread & then posting in an other, People are too lazy to do that (well I am ...).

- Reading a chapter takes 3 minutes, Watching an anime 20 minutes ... So, obviously, it's easier to follow many mangas than many animes.

- It's mangahelpers & not animehelpers

- IMO, Animation didn't progress that much in the last few years. When you see the animation level of a samurai champloo which is now almost 7 years old ... Or even a cowboy beebop

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to nominate every single category, just the ones you want to. Just skip any part you don't care about.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

What Milly said

Having 2 threads makes it much easier for us to count votes, but yeah I can see why it would be more difficult to quote and comment on each other's nominations

Also, I think animation quality has improved quite a bit actually. Especially now when you have new technologies like blu-ray and HD. Some anime movies (and even series) need to be watched in blu-ray + HD and even better, on a TV screen (or movie theatre!) and not a computer, to be fully appreciated That's why I like to watch series like Macross and Gundam on my brother's big blu-ray+HD TV in 1080p.

Besides, only a few series were that well animated back in those days. Now on average animation quality has gone up across the board.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Also, I think animation quality has improved quite a bit actually. Especially now when you have new technologies like blu-ray and HD. Some anime movies (and even series) need to be watched in blu-ray + HD and even better, on a TV screen (or movie theatre!) and not a computer, to be fully appreciated That's why I like to watch series like Macross and Gundam on my brother's big blu-ray+HD TV in 1080p.

Besides, only a few series were that well animated back in those days. Now on average animation quality has gone up across the board.
    "on my brother's big blu-ray+HD TV in 1080p." -saladesu

though, not macross, nor gundam, unless its Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Drools enviously... INVITE ME OVER DAMNIT! Gives my "smolder" look (it's even better than Flynn's...right...) (Tangled movie reference), or the "sad dog-puppy face" (Bolt movie refernece)... (J/K)

Week(s) long anime movie "sittings"

Oh, which anime series to do first... hmm...

-----------------------------------------------------------

the anime's graphics is better, and it's noticable. but, not too old anime graphics isn't that bad, either.

I would say though, that it's not the graphics that set apart old and new, but the other stuff, such as dialogue, more mature/intense content, and etc.

I'm not saying that there's not good old animes too, but some of the dialogue is non-existent... looking at Guyver's dialogue... UGHN!!!!

but, it's hard though for the newer generations to look back and appreciate stuff with worse graphics. but, if the plot/story/dialogue is good, I don't personally care about graphics too much.

for example, Berserk's older graphics, didn't bother me one bit, as it has terrific story/plot.

the new graphics is nice however, I don't think anyone would disagree with this, but good graphics doesn't mean that everything else is good. Especially with current American movies and (japanese) games... awesome graphics, but no story/plot... nothing like the golden years of movies, tv shows/series, and gaming in the 80's and 90's, hehe
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; February 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    You don't have to nominate every single category, just the ones you want to. Just skip any part you don't care about.
    The problem is the readability. There are so many categories that the whole thing can't even be seen in 3 complete rolled screen (And I have a 22')

Quote Quote:
    That's true but that average is not at the same level of the top from 7 years ago. Taking into account the evolution of technology, I find this disappointing.
    Last edited by zelllogan; February 24, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree with Zellogan, there are a bit too much categories. Plus some of them looks like a manga award round 2 when we just finish voting for them ( best kiss... )
    I'm looking forward the categories which are really anime oriented, the series based on manga are biased. who can honnestly said One piece anime is the best ( and I'm a huge fan of the manga )

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, we'll certainly keep them in mind in the future

Like you, I'm also looking forward to categories that are "solely" anime oriented. It's inevitable that some categories are going to end up looking like the manga awards, but it is also true that a lot of anime are adapted off manga as well, and if the manga was popular and has a good readership on MH, it's likely to be the same for the anime. So it's really rather inevitable. I personally wouldn't nominate a series for the anime awards just because the manga was good, like you said, that's totally biased

I dunno about One Piece as I've only read the manga, but there are so many anime adaptations that screwed up and made a mess of their manga counterparts. Most recent example off the top of my head is Nurarihyon no Mago. Great manga, but draggy anime that included too many fillers and changed too many things.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast