Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ~Coffee~'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Discussion Thread

@saladesu
    - Some might say its boring but thats just because of their preferences~
    Like people who just like actions because of all the action and don't like to take the time to watch something interesting but not fast paced. Or disliking something because it may have started out slow...

I on the other hand, started watching OP way back in the day (when it was officially released in english) and got hooked on it, but after a few arcs it just got old and the style conflicted with itself. They would be overly serious but then overly silly....
    Though I have to admit I never even started reading the manga (though a lot of people have tried to convince me) and maybe I will if it ever reaches the top of the list at MAL.

Anyways, Bakuman wasn't that bad it is even getting a 2nd season~

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree. It really depends on your own preference. Some action buffs hate slice of life, but others love it. I guess some may have just been disillusioned by the fact that Bakuman is listed as "shounen", which conjures the image of action, fast-paced, fighting etc anyway, it would have been a pity if Bakuman ended without getting a 2nd season, after all the 1st season only covered like 30+ chapters! At the rate they are going, to cover the whole story they may need over 3 seasons

Can I join the voices in convincing you to read OP? It's so brilliant and epic!! See how people are dissing the anime... It means the manga is that much better Don't wait, the chapter count you have to catch up on will only increase and increase...!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

for me, and my preferences:

it's all about the story+plot, that's the #1 thing of importance to me. If it doesn't engage you, make you think, challenge you, and make you emotional, than it has no quality to me what-so-ever.

The type of story+plot doesn't matter to me at all, as long as I can understand it well enough, and it meets the above creteria.

for example:

Witchblade had absolutely NO/ZERO plot, it was stupid and lame, HOWEVER, it had an incredible story between the mother (the protagonist) and her daughter/foster daughter, and a "bureau of child protection", which kept trying to steal her daughter/foster daughter, as due to an accident, very few children exists and the already grown up women can't produce children anymore, or something like this. Needless to say, it's very emotional if you care about kids, as the bond between the protagonist/mother and her daughter/foster duaghter is done so well, especially with that !EVIL! "bureau of child protection" trying to steal the daughter/foster daughter. It makes you really rethink real life the government and its child protection services... as you usually only heard about the offer side of how "bad the parents are and unsafe for the child it is", whereas this anime delves into the other side, of the guardian/parent/mother having her child STOLEN from her by the government's "bureau of child protection"... is it right for a group of people to be able to decide that you're a "danger to your kids, and thus they may break into your home and take your kids away"...

needless to say, I loved the story in this, but it's plot was a complete joke.

another such emotional story is in:

My little sister cna't be this cute (I don't know its japanese title and too lazy to look it up).

the interaction between the brother and his little sister is really great! very emotional and enjoyable!

Also, I actually liked chuu-bra as well, as it has an interesting story about girls and their clothing... opened my eyes anyways, made me less ignorant. now girls are already aware of this, as they ahve to deal with it, so it might be boring for girls to watch, but I really enjoyed it.

ya I got wierd tastes... as I like good stories+plots

----------------------------------------------

now for the more basic stuff, GENRES and other stuff:

I'm a nerd/geek, so I love fantasy, sci-fi, and vampires/werewolves/wolves

I also love magical, ninja, war, blood and guts, guns, swords, other weapons, and martial arts stuff

so I like action obviously.

and being a guy, a perv, I like fanservice of course!

HOWEVER, all of these things are only average/alright/"so so", or even trash/awful if they don't have a good story+plot along with it.

------------------------------------

I have ZERO interest in comedy, unless it's "fanservice comedy", or it is within other stuff I like.

------------------------------------

Also, if I think something is going to be good (I've already chosen and am watching it), I'll be patient and watch it out, even if its slow or boring.

I'm an avid book reader, and I got a saying:

"Give a book patience, and it'll reward you!" -HK

So, this is the same with anime as well.

Many people watch an anime and its slow or boring in the beginning, so they quit watching it, and thus miss out on a really good anime, as it gets better, as you keep watching it.

Blood+ is such an anime. For me, it got me interested right from the "get-go", with its first episode, hehe. Berserk Saya, grins , and its kinda interesting for about 6 episodes, as she's slowly intrduced to who she really is and her loss of her foster father George. But, much of the anime is slow and boring, as its ~50 episodes long. It doesn't actually have that many fight/action scenes, but when it does, they're pretty good. Because it's drawn out though, few people give it the patience of watching all ~50 episodes, and so they miss out on how awesome and great it is.

Samurai Champloo is like Blood+ as well, they seem like a bunch of miscellenous episodes, with reall good fight/action scenes here and there, but the later part of it, as it too is a long anime series, it starts to really pick up with its plot and it becomes much more interesting and fast paced.

there's actually quite a lot of anime, that have "dead" beginnings, but than they pick up with later episodes.

Patience.... Patience.... sighs... maybe I'm one of the few... who has patience... laughs

and again, my saying:

"Give a book (or manga, anime, movie, tv show/series, and etc) patience, and it'll reward you!" -HK
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; April 12, 2011 at 02:32 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Coffee~ View Post
    and your last comment reminds me of the saying "out of sight, out of mind" just because an ending of a series may be rushed doesn’t mean the entire show sucks, but that’s what people end up saying because they only remember the quality of the ending~
    I’m not sure which comment you exactly mean. Is it this one?
    Quote Quote:
    I mean even FMA Brotherhood which won every award it was nominated for pails in comparison with the Manga and be it only because they pressed a whole volume in an Episode.
    If you meant this one than I didn’t even mean the rushed ending. They pressed the whole Volume 15 in Episode 30.
    I never said the show sucks. I think it deserved to win every where it won. It is a very good show and was adapted very well.
    I only said that it pails in comparison with the Manga and be it ONLY because they pressed a whole volume in one episode. Not even mentioning the rushed ending and beginning and other little things.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Coffee~ View Post
    @saladesu
    - Some might say its boring but thats just because of their preferences~
    Like people who just like actions because of all the action and don't like to take the time to watch something interesting but not fast paced. Or disliking something because it may have started out slow...
    I know it wasn't meant for me but I belong in neither. I have no problem with slow starts, like interesting stories and the slice of life genre.
    The problem slice of life genre has is that if you already have read the Manga than the Anime is destined to be boring. At least for the most people.
    On the other hand even if you have read the Manga in the action genre you still can look forward to the action animation.
    The 30chapter/25 Episode doesn’t help either.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Without watching all the anime, maybe you could have a look to the G8 filler. There is a global consensus to say it is very one piece like and at very good level for a filler.
    lol yes. Most Anime only people thought of it as canon while thinking of the foxy arc as filler

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Can I join the voices in convincing you to read OP? It's so brilliant and epic!! See how people are dissing the anime... It means the manga is that much better Don't wait, the chapter count you have to catch up on will only increase and increase...!
    The Anime isn't that bad. Especially the first 200 Episodes are done pretty well. I think he said that his main problem was that it changes from very silly to very serious. This does never change and it is one of the strong points of OP. It can make you laugh, cry and sometimes both at the same time,
    It also depends until where he watched. Until Arlong Park for the right first impression. Until Alabasta for the right general impression and until EL for the completely right impression.
    I heard a lot of people stopped during Skypia. Well it is one of my favourite arcs but it has a lot of problems. Especially the first time watching.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ~Coffee~'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@saladesu
    - Ya about the OP, I may have become a little biased towards it because it seems like it gets a lot more popularity than it deserves. While Im not saying it sucks or anything, theres a lot of other things out there that are just as awesome but dont have mountains of crazy, raging geek fans~ LOL
    and about being behind in Chapters, I LOVE READING MANGA THAT WAY!!!! I love when I can read and read and read and read without worrying about catching up any time soon or waiting a week for the next chapter.... I think I just got back into my manga reading phase again as in the past 2 weeks Ive read up to the current chapter of Air Gear and Bakuman and Started Dengeki Daisy the other night.

@Josl
    - the very last thing that was said was something about watching ALL of the series...

and the thing I dont like about it going from overly silly to overly serious is that it goes from being a gag type (like bobobo) to a drama type... and its wayyy to obvious and 'jittery'. Both are good types but jumping from one to the other without warning irritates me~

I like series that can make you laugh, cry, etc... but do it with better transition~ (did someone say Clannad?)

I also usually try to watch the anime first (at least the first season) before I read the manga..... unless I somehow get drawn into the manga before an anime gets released. (this may be just because I dont read toooooo much manga. lol)

New Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10