Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Nominations Thread

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Darkp's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Nominations Thread

Best Male Lead : Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
    Best Female Lead : Revy (Black Lagoon)
    Best Male Supporting Character : L (Death Note)
    Best Villain :Johan Liebert (Monster)
    Best Anime Overall : Berserk
    People Live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true . That is how they define "reality" .
    But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirrage .
    Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world , shaped by their beliefs .

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm it doesn't look like this Award is as popular as the manga one, I hope there will be a lot more suggestions in the next few days. I'm sure the Big 3 will take a lot of categories but it won't be as extreme as in the last one, at least I hope so :/

I wonder the about Best Opening/Ending theme, is it meant like best song for an OP/ED (as some people did it that way) or best motive/overall impression?

now for the nominations, I'm sure I will change quite a lot afterwards but for now I will go with what comes to my mind (even though the nominations are going to be really hard, there are so much good choices one could make):

Best Male Lead (benelori): Yagami Light (Death Note), because he's a memorable character and not just your typical lead person.

Best Male supporting character (benelori): Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Best Female Lead (destiny4ever): Kuronuma Sawako (Kimi ni Todoke), may be highly biased because I'm in love with the series right now still I think she's an interesting character.

Best Female supporting character (destiny4ever): I support CBlitz's nomination, Asuka Langley Soryu (Neon Genesis Evangelion) for said reason!

Best Insert Song: Yoko Kanno - Deadly Work (Darker than Black)
    I don't really remember a lot of insert songs but this one was quite impressive and fitting for the fight between Hei and Wei.

Best Anime Soundtrack (destiny4ever): The "Darker than Black OST", I enjoyed nearly every soundtrack. Yoko Kanno has done a great job

Best Action (benelori): "Hellsing OVA's", there are series with better fighting sequences but it contains a lot of awesome fights. I'm still eager to see the fight between Alucard and
    Spoiler show

Best Romance (destiny4ever): Kimi ni Todoke

Best Drama (HegemonKhan): Neon Genesis Evangelion. The last episodes were completely mind-blowing, in both negative and positive ways.

Best Mystery (HegemonKhan): Monster

Best Horror (benelori): I haven't watched a lot of horror shows but "Shiki" was definitely captivating.

Best Fantasy (HegemonKhan): Hard decision, I will go with "Soul Eater" for now.

Best Costume Design (benelori): Katekyo Hitman Reborn

Best Villain (HegemonKhan): Johann Liebert (Monster)

Best Death (saladesu):
    Spoiler: Monster show

Best Fight (benelori): Naruto vs. Sasuke at the Valley of the End (Naruto)

Best Episode (HegemonKhan): I support CBlitz nomination: Naruto (original) episode 133

Best Couple (destiny4ever): Kazehaya Shouta and Kuronuma Sawako (Kimi ni Todoke)

Best Full Cast (saladesu): Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Best Animation TV series (saladesu): Death Note
    Best Animation OVAs (M3J): Hellsing OVA's
    Best Animation Movies (M3J): Evangelion 2.0: You Can (not) Advance

Best OVA (HegemonKhan): Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden
    Best Movie (benelori): Evangelion 2.0: You Can (not) Advance

Best Adaptation – Manga (saladesu): Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Best Adaptation – Light Novel (HegemonKhan): I support Ustegius nomination, "Baccano!" The madness of some characters was stunning, I completely agree about what he said.

Best Original Series(saladesu): Darker than Black

Best Alteration of Story Line (saladesu): Soul Eater

Best Studio (saladesu): BONES, nearly every series they have made was good or great.

Best Anime Overall : Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; February 20, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all those great nominations, Hege!
    Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post

Best Male supporting character (benelori):

Blood+: Haji

(he's a supporting character too, along with being a main character)
    I’m a bit hesitant about letting Haji participate in the “best male supporting character” category, since he is the male protagonist of the series after all. I tried to look for information that could suggest that he is a supporting character but I couldn’t find it. Could you please nominate another character for this category? Or could you please post information about him that supports his nomination as a supporting character?

Quote Quote:
    Best Female supporting character (destiny4ever):

Jyu Oh Sei: Tiz

(she's a supporting character too, along with being a main character)
    I’m a bit hesitant about letting Tiz participate in the “best female supporting character” category, since she is the female protagonist of the series after all. I tried to look for information that could suggest that she is a supporting character but I couldn’t find it. Could you please nominate another character for this category? Or could you please post information about her that supports her nomination as a supporting character?

Thank you for those awesome nominations, Hystzen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hystzen View Post
    Best Animation TV series
    Gargoyles
    The MH Anime awards is only going to focus on series from Japan, so could you please nominate another series for the “best animation (TV series) category, Hystzen?

Thanks you for those fantastic nominations, Ustegius!

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Best Horror - Could Monster be nominated here too? It got me horrified many times.
    Of course Monster can be nominated for the horror category. In fact, it would be a shame to leave such an amazing anime out of this award category.

Thank you for those wonderful nominations, naruto-niikun!

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I wonder the about Best Opening/Ending theme, is it meant like best song for an OP/ED (as some people did it that way) or best motive/overall impression?
    The categories of Best Opening/Ending theme are all about the songs. So please feel free to nominate your favorite anisongs for those categories.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 20, 2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Thank you for all those great nominations, Hege!

I’m a bit hesitant about letting Haji participate in the “best male supporting character” category, since he is the male protagonist of the series after all. I tried to look for information that could suggest that he is a supporting character but I couldn’t find it. Could you please nominate another character for this category? Or could you please post information about him that supports his nomination as a supporting character?

I’m a bit hesitant about letting Tiz participate in the “best female supporting character” category, since she is the female protagonist of the series after all. I tried to look for information that could suggest that she is a supporting character but I couldn’t find it. Could you please nominate another character for this category? Or could you please post information about her that supports her nomination as a supporting character?
    *I don't know of any other supporting characters, so that's why I'm trying to push these two again, otherwise both male and female supporting characters for me has to be blank, as I don't know of any others that I feel deserve to nominated*

Blood+: Haji

*Blood+ is my next most favorite manga/anime, after Claymore. I know a lot about Blood+, been doing extensive research on it in my passion for it, like with Claymore. I know (well, I'm forgetting stuff now, grr) it really well, inside and out.*

I completely disagree with the wikipedia saying he's a main character, after 'watching the anime', (as I haven't read the manga yet), I feel it's pretty blatant that he's a supporting character, and not even also a main character.

Haji is literally Saya's chevalier, her supporting male guardian/servant. He has no actual role in the plot of the story**, all he exists for is to protect, follow, support, and serve Saya.

So, that to me would be a supporting character, especially with not having any actual role in the plot of the story**. Ya, he's constantly shown/seen in the manga/anime, as he's always at Saya's side looking out of her, but that doesn't construe a main character in my opinion. He's her servant, her "side-kick", her "lackey", a supporting character in the most literal use of the word.

Spoiler show

The main characters in Blood+ in terms of the story's plot are:

Saya, Diva, Nathan (secretly), and ~Amshel (being the plotter of it all and villain, besides Diva herself), and everyone else is just a supporting character.

Jyu Oh Sei: Tiz

I completely disagree with the wikipedia saying she's a main character, after 'watching the anime', (as I haven't read the manga yet), I feel it's pretty blatant that she's a supporting character, and not even also a main character.

Like Haji, Tiz literally just supports Thor, and has no significance to the story's plot.
    Spoiler: Jyu Oh Sei show

So, that to me would be a supporting character, especially with not having any actual role in the plot of the story. Ya, she's constantly shown/seen in the manga/anime, as she's always at Thor's side looking out for him, but that doesn't construe a main character in my opinion. She's just his "Second" (2nd in charge - of Thor's group), a supporting character in the most literal use of the word.

the main characters in terms of the story's plot are:

Thor, Third, and Zagi, and everyone else is just a supporting character.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 21, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so very much for the explanations, Hege! I’m also a fan of Blood + and I do agree that even though Haji is defined as the “male protagonist” of Blood + on various sites, he doesn’t fit the criteria of what a protagonist is:

Quote Quote:
    A protagonist (from the Greek πρωταγωνιστής protagonistes, "one who plays the first part, chief actor") is the main character (the central or primary personal figure) of a literary, theatrical, cinematic, or musical narrative, around whom the events of the narrative's plot revolve and with whom the audience is intended to share the most empathy.
    As you have explained, he fits the definition of what a supporting character is better:

Quote Quote:
    A supporting character is a character of a book, play, video game, movie, television or radio show other form of storytelling usually used to give added dimension to a main character, by adding a relationship with this character. Sometimes supporting characters may develop a complexity of their own, but this is usually in relation to the main character, rather than entirely independently.
    Because of the definition of a supporting character above and because of your explanation, Haji will be able to participate in the “best male supporting character” category.

As for Tiz, since she doesn’t fit the definition of what a protagonist is either; rather she fits the definition of what a supporting character is very well and plus your explanation, Tiz will be able to participate in the “best female supporting character” category.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; February 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Comedy:

School Rumble (スクールランブル, Sukūru Ranburu)

Best Drama:

Black Lagoon

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scav View Post
    Best original serie : Gungrave
    Best comedy: Golden boy
    Best Anime overall: Dragon ball z then (its may be old, but the fights scene in DBZ are unique and i've never saw better than that in term of fight)
    Gungrave isn't an original series (as the wikipedia article you linked to states: "based on the video game of the same name") Can you nominate another series? You can nominate Gungrave for "Best Adaptation (Visual Novel/Game)" if you like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    Best Insert Song (saladesu):

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom Opening 2

(if you can't understand Japanese, you need to find a sub, as the words/song is "vicious")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPTe9...eature=related

(runner up: Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom Opening 1)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn2vB...eature=related)
    An insert song is one that is played during the episode(s) but isn't the opening or ending theme, so I think you'll need to nominate something else
    Last edited by saladesu; February 21, 2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Male Lead: I really liked the anime, the voice over was brilliant, and his fight scenes...so I nominate Vash the Stampede from Trigun

Best Male supporting character: I would like to nominate one of the most complex supporting characters I've seen in an anime...Kururugi Suzaku...I liked him a lot

Best Female Lead: I was a bit indecisive regarding this category, because there are quite a deal of great females I've seen in animes...and in the end I was torn between Major Motoko from GitS, and Balsa from Seirei no Moribito...but since I think Balsa is more fit for the definition of lead, I nominate her...so Balsa from Seirei no Moribito

Best Male Seiyuu: well my favorite voice is definitely Aizen's voice, his performances are really great, and he can interpret a wide range of characters...if people don't follow the Bleach anime, then maybe it's better if I say OP's narrator...so I nominate Hayami Shō

Best Female Seiyuu: I nominate Matsumoto Wakako aka Kujira(transl. whale) for best female seiyuu...Orochimaru's performance is just excellent, it's one of the reasons the guy is my fav character...

That's all for now...these were the first names that popped in when I looked over the categories...the others are a bit harder choices, since I don't really remember all the stuff I watched...

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

About the insert song/opening category. Which one would Paprikas opening scene go? It runs the opening credits at the same time, but since it's a film not series it can hardly be called an opening, because it also lays the setting to the film.

Also nomination:

Best horror: Monster, sure will do better in the mystery category, but it can't be argued that the psychologigal horror is there. It horrified me at parts a lot.

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    An insert song is one that is played during the episode(s) but isn't the opening or ending theme, so I think you'll need to nominate something else
    thanks for explaining, and my bad, didn't see the insert part, thought it was just best song, oops!

so, just leave this category blank for me, I might find something later for it, or not.

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    About the insert song/opening category. Which one would Paprikas opening scene go? It runs the opening credits at the same time, but since it's a film not series it can hardly be called an opening, because it also lays the setting to the film.
    Does the “opening song” of Paprika appear in other parts of the movie besides the beginning of it?
    If it does, then I think it can be considered as an insert song as well, but if it doesn’t then I think it will fit the definition of what an opening song is better.

22. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member maloose's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Nominations Thread

Best Male lead: Ichigo Kurosaki
    Best Female Lead: Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)
    Best Male Supporting: Sasuke Uchiha
    Best Seiyuu: Takahiro Sakurai (Yu Kanda, Cloud...)
    Best Opening: Period (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood)
    Best Ending: Houki Boshi (Bleach)
    Best Theme music: Inuyasha
    Best Insert song: Continued Story (Code Geass2)
    Best Fight: Ichigo vs Ulquira
    Best Manga Adaptation: Bleach
    Best Sport: Eyeshield 21
    Best Comedy: Gintama
    Best Action: Bleach
    Best Mystery: Monster
    Best Fantasy: Black Butler
    Best Romance: Vampire Knight
    Best Horror: Ghost Hunt
    Best Anime overall: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Best Onging Anime: Bleach

and may I have this one?!
    The Coolest Character: Kyoya Hibari (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)

24. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Best movie : it has to be a Miyasaki but which one. That's quite hard to decide. I guess I will support the now old but still perfect Princess Mononoke

Best drama : grave of the fireflies. Honnestly can we make more tearful than that movie

Concerning song I've read rapidly but I have seen The Girl in Byakkoya of Paprika and if it's nominated somewhere, I support it.

And speaking of Satoshi Kon he deserves more place here so I nominate Perfect Blue as best mistery.

I'm not sure to understand what a slice of life anime means, but I think that Windy Tales fit it. The story was simple but the design was original.

Best studio : Ghibli, shall we even vote ?

Best new serie : fractale, at least it is not a serie issue from a manga so there is the pleasure of the discovery

Best comedy : I support Gintama, since the manga award didn't exist, now is it's chance to shine. My greatest laugh crisis since I watch anime are because of Gintama

26. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for those great nominations, maloose!
    Quote Originally Posted by maloose View Post
    Best Theme music: Inuyasha
    As much as it makes me glad to see Inuyasha being nominated, sadly we don’t have a Best Theme music category. So could you please nominate Inuyasha in other award categories that you think Inuyasha deserves to be a nominee? ^_^

Quote Quote:
    and may I have this one?!
    The Coolest Character: Kyoya Hibari (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)
    No in this awards event, but you have surely given me an idea for the next Manga/Anime Showdown here in the OC.

28. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I'm not sure to understand what a slice of life anime means, but I think that Windy Tales fit it. The story was simple but the design was original.
    Slice of life is a genre where stuff can happen in real life. Dragon Ball Z and Naruto wouldn't be a slice of life, but Kimi ni Todoke or GE - Good Ending can be real life, and apparently Bakuman.

30. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast