Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Manga Ending

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst Manga Ending

What manga do you think has the least satisfying ending and why? Lists and multiple entries are welcome as long as a reason or description of why you find the ending so lame.

First series that comes to mind is Becchin to Mandara a one volume series by the mangaka of Freesia. Everything was set for an interesting ending but there was no resolution to the story at all. The characters were not given any motivation for acting the way they did, no reason for living where they lived, and no reason to continue doing so after the manga ended. A big, black mark against an otherwise intelligent, interesting manga.

Moderator message by: Asarii
    Warning: Remember to be careful of spoilers throughout this thread!
    Last edited by Asarii; February 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spoiler warning ;)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worst Manga Ending

Hm... thinking... thinking...
    I haven't found a single really disappointing ending so far. Even though for at least two manga people complained all over the web for their endings:
    -> Planetes. Very open ending, many say it ends without concluding a single thing. I think that it isn't a problem though. Planetes dealt with a variety of topics very well and never depended on the storyline as itself. The ending was totally fine imo, there was nothing wrong with ending at that specific point. It did conclude a lot of things for the moment, while leaving many possible future scenarios.
    -> Shigurui. Many people complain that it was too short, unsatisfying, not plausible. I think that it indeed is rather short, but not too short. It shows what has to be shown and is consistent/plausible, even though it takes some thinking and might not offer "the" one and only explanation. Let's just say that it ends very suitable for a drama story like Shigurui!

I do see a potentially bad ending for Nononono though. It's ended in Japan a while ago already, many people complained. At the current state of scanlations (~95) I already think the story is kinda deteriorating and too far away from what made it good, way overstressing the staging and arts style put into the manga and in general delivering a weird atmosphere.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 21, 2011 at 01:26 PM.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a bad ending if I want it to last longer?

But seriously I believe it was a Jump manga called Ane Doki, the art really captured my eye. It was a really rare series with a plot that had ecchi stuff in it a lot, but somehow I really overlooked that. It just felt that when the end came that was not it. The series did not have a bad ending, but before it came to a conclusion it should have explained more. And that is a worst ending for me, when a manga can go for even more chapters and yet it ended.

Of course this might have been because of the Jump axing policy towards low - ranked series. But I forgot if Ane Doki was doing good in the ToC when it was serialized.

YuYu Hakusho was another for the same things as Ane Doki, pre mature ending I don't know it felt rushed. And for me rushed=ruined, it is often the case though today with the Jump series. But this was a series that was done a long time ago. The story could have gone a long way. The plot could have gone many ways, sure I do not mind the ending but at least it should have gone for a few more arcs.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

666 Satan and Eyeshield 21. The former's ending felt so rushed, as if Kishimoto was dying to work on his new series Blazer Drive, whilst the latter should have ended right after the Christmas Bowl, instead of dragging out for a couple more chapters. The world tournament actually had potential, plus I wanted to see Panther again, but it was so rushed. So yeah, Eyeshield 21 managed to have a rushed and prolonged ending at the same time.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly Full Metal Alchemist. It has a lot of plot-holes in the main concept of equality. More over, it was like made only to the children readers.

Other ending mangas are really worse, but i have to given some credit for other reasons that Arakawa doesn't has.

Perhaps, the worst mangaka giving an end to his mangas is Naoki Urasawa. His popular works were good but just PLUTO was the only with a decent ending.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    666 Satan and Eyeshield 21. The former's ending felt so rushed, as if Kishimoto was dying to work on his new series Blazer Drive, whilst the latter should have ended right after the Christmas Bowl, instead of dragging out for a couple more chapters. The world tournament actually had potential, plus I wanted to see Panther again, but it was so rushed. So yeah, Eyeshield 21 managed to have a rushed and prolonged ending at the same time.
    I never made it to the end of Eyeshield. I hated that post-Christmas Bowl all star tournament felt tacked on, like it added nothing to the story. The Christmas Bowl wouldn't have been that good an ending anyway, I really didn't care about that team from Osaka or Kyoto or w/e. I really wish they had saved Ojo for the Christmas Bowl.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Is it a bad ending if I want it to last longer?

But seriously I believe it was a Jump manga called Ane Doki, the art really captured my eye. It was a really rare series with a plot that had ecchi stuff in it a lot, but somehow I really overlooked that. It just felt that when the end came that was not it. The series did not have a bad ending, but before it came to a conclusion it should have explained more. And that is a worst ending for me, when a manga can go for even more chapters and yet it ended.

Of course this might have been because of the Jump axing policy towards low - ranked series. But I forgot if Ane Doki was doing good in the ToC when it was serialized.

YuYu Hakusho was another for the same things as Ane Doki, pre mature ending I don't know it felt rushed. And for me rushed=ruined, it is often the case though today with the Jump series. But this was a series that was done a long time ago. The story could have gone a long way. The plot could have gone many ways, sure I do not mind the ending but at least it should have gone for a few more arcs.
    The only problem I had with Yu Yu's ending was that they didn't show the fights in the tournament, otherwise it wasn't that bad, to be honest.

Oh, the SDF suicide bomb thingie was horrible though.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Double Arts
    New character introduced, and then suddenly it ended? Totally abrupt and just... Bad. The manga itself was pretty good and it really sucks that it had to end that way because it wasn't doing well on the TOCs. A really unsatisfying ending.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cyber34's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaman King, has the worst ending of any manga I have read.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaman King's ending was so bad it was legendary. At least Takei got a do over when the kanzenban came out.

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Double Arts
    New character introduced, and then suddenly it ended? Totally abrupt and just... Bad. The manga itself was pretty good and it really sucks that it had to end that way because it wasn't doing well on the TOCs. A really unsatisfying ending.
    Double Arts had one of the most brutal cancellations I can remember. The first part of the series ranked so high that everyone was taken by surprise when it was still canceled so quickly. It somehow went from top 5 to bottom 5 to canceled in thirty chapters >_<

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, even with the many unsatisfactory endings I've read, Hikaru no Go's displeased me the most. It builds up to a point where your expect the story to go on and show Hikaru's rise in the go world then just stops abruptly. Other series like Eyeshield 21 and YuYu Hakusho at least showed signs of ending (Eyeshield had already finished the main plot while YuYu had been deteriorating for quite some time). Hikaru no Go, on the other hand, seemed to continually hint at lasting much longer, and it was really popular so I'm still not sure why it ended

I'd stick Shaman King with it, but at least it got a proper ending eventually.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a bad sign for Bakuman that Hikaru no Go and Death Note had less than satisfactory endings. Sorry Sally

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it wasn't the worst ending I've read, I'd rather have Hikaru no Go end before the Hokuto Cup. That "Part 2" seemed out of place so it would have been better as a side-story.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Is it a bad sign for Bakuman that Hikaru no Go and Death Note had less than satisfactory endings. Sorry Sally
    Don't scare me please

But I dunno if that's a valid argument, seeing as Hikaru no Go's story was not by Ohba Tsugumi I don't think it's Obata Takeshi's fault that both HnG and DN had bad endings...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber34 View Post
    Shaman King, has the worst ending of any manga I have read.
    i can't agree more. When i read the ending i feel like i just got trolled. 0__0

Spoiler: Banana Fish ending show

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast