Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Oscars Thread

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Oscars Thread

Well I got this from howstuffworks, but I guess it pretty much sums up who they are:

Quote Quote:
    The Academy

So many Oscar winners gush, "l would like to thank the academy" that it's become a cliche. But what is the Academy, anyway? And why should it be thanked?
    The Academy, in this case, is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a professional honorary society formed in 1927. In spirit, the Academy is something like the Phi Beta Kappa Society or National Honor Society. It's an organization dedicated to promoting excellence in a particular field (filmmaking). Just like similar organizations, it has many members connected to that field (more than 6,000 filmmaking professionals).
    You must be invited by the Academy to become a member. Different branches of the Academy (focusing on different aspects of the filmmaking world) have their own standards of eligibility for potential members.
    The Academy is involved in a lot of different projects -- from film preservation to developing new film technology -- but it's best known for its yearly awards ceremony. The purpose of the Academy Awards is to promote excellence in filmmaking by honoring extraordinary achievements from the previous year.
    Members of the academy, including actors, producers, directors and a variety of other film craftsmen, choose who will receive the awards that year by casting ballots. So when a winner thanks the academy, he or she is really thanking all their professional peers who collectively decided to bestow the honor. They're also thanking the organization as a whole, which decided to hand out awards in the first place.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naomidee View Post
    I would still party with her before any other celebrity in Hollywood. Hands down.
    Me too but I started to doubt her sincerity by seeing her falling twice at the oscars. It might have been calculated. She knows very well that her clumsy attitude is part of her charm

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Me too but I started to doubt her sincerity by seeing her falling twice at the oscars. It might have been calculated. She knows very well that her clumsy attitude is part of her charm
    I think you're overthinking it. XD

She's known to have several drinks at those types of awards shows. You've probably never worn a huge gown with way-too-high heels. They're ridiculous and impractical enough while sober, let alone buzzed or tipsy.

I see that the general public attitude towards Jennifer Lawrence has become a little hostile and disapproving as of late. Don't jump the band wagon so quickly.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Jennifer Lawrence, if she is sincere regarding the way she acts, she is likeable and personable, if she only pretends to be that way, she is pretty smart, so....

But that should be secondary to her acting in movies anyway, which is, in my opinion, not as noteworthy as Hollywood makes it out to be right now but then again, her competition last year was not that great, except Emmanuelle Riva

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it seems like an honest "not looking where you're going while waving to fans" incident. Plus who puts cones with matching colour to her dress and the red carpet in the same place?

But like MM says, if she is pretending then...well played. Personally I enjoy her outside of movies, she's a relief from most of the disastrous young 20s actors.

This Oscars Parody of True Detective is spot on:

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5