Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese Festivals & Holidays

murasakii23

Re: Japanese Festivals & Holidays

Thanks Asarii & mikkih lol if you want, I can write down a list here of festivals from a specific area (Snow Festival in Sapporo etc) from everywhere in the year.

haha I wrote popcorn-thingys because otherwise i would've said seeds but that's definitely not right XD. Right onto the list!:3

edit:doing the list...
    Last edited by murasakii23; May 27, 2011 at 09:13 AM.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be excellent, murasakii! Please do It would also give people who want to visit Japan a good idea of when is a good time to go to a specific place in Japan

When I visited Gifu, I heard about the Takayama Festival. Too bad I was not there at the right time to catch it. You can get more info here. It's said to be one of the most beautiful festivals in Japan! I did see pictures and the floats museum, and I must say they were spectacular. I would love to go back someday to watch the real festival!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it can also be double edged, because going to a place during a festival can make the stay quite expensive and crowded.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murasakii23 View Post
    Thanks Asarii & mikkih lol if you want, I can write down a list here of festivals from a specific area (Snow Festival in Sapporo etc) from everywhere in the year.
    Go right ahead! The list in the opening post only encompasses what the entire country celebrates, and there are many more festivals depending on the region.

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    When I visited Gifu, I heard about the Takayama Festival. Too bad I was not there at the right time to catch it. You can get more info here. It's said to be one of the most beautiful festivals in Japan! I did see pictures and the floats museum, and I must say they were spectacular. I would love to go back someday to watch the real festival!
    I'd love to see pictures the next time you decide to go. It's an annual tradition for the locals, but it's probably a surreal experience for visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I guess it can also be double edged, because going to a place during a festival can make the stay quite expensive and crowded.
    That's true. Even Japanese visitors decide to drop by a festival so it does get pretty expensive and crowded. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nineteen days later, but here goes.

Tanabata

This festival occurs on July 7th every year and is based on the following myth:

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanabata
    Orihime (織姫 Weaving Princess), daughter of the Tentei (天帝 Sky King, or the universe itself), wove beautiful clothes by the bank of the Amanogawa (天の川 Milky Way, lit. "heavenly river"). Her father loved the cloth that she wove and so she worked very hard every day to weave it. However, Orihime was sad that because of her hard work she could never meet and fall in love with anyone. Concerned about his daughter, Tentei arranged for her to meet Hikoboshi (彦星 Cow Herder Star) (also referred to as Kengyuu (牽牛)) who lived and worked on the other side of the Amanogawa. When the two met, they fell instantly in love with each other and married shortly thereafter. However, once married, Orihime no longer would weave cloth for Tentei and Hikoboshi allowed his cows to stray all over Heaven. In anger, Tentei separated the two lovers across the Amanogawa and forbade them to meet. Orihime became despondent at the loss of her husband and asked her father to let them meet again. Tentei was moved by his daughter’s tears and allowed the two to meet on the 7th day of the 7th month if she worked hard and finished her weaving. The first time they tried to meet, however, they found that they could not cross the river because there was no bridge. Orihime cried so much that a flock of magpies came and promised to make a bridge with their wings so that she could cross the river. It is said that if it rains on Tanabata, the magpies cannot come and the two lovers must wait until another year to meet.
    Wishes are written on tanzaku (a long piece of paper) and hung on a bamboo tree. IIRC you don't write your name down so with the power of anonymity, you can wish for anything whether it's passing an exam or something shallow (ha ha) such as getting a 3DS. People wear their yukata and participate in festivals at their local shrine.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if abroad Japanese like you Asarii also do Obon. It seems like an important day but it must be different when you are out of Japan, isn't it ?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from Hinamatsuri and Kodomo no Hi, my family doesn't do much for other festivals. However, Nikkei around the world do partake in traditions such as Obon. Just a few weeks ago my hometown's Japanese cultural centre had an Obon Festival.

Festivals and basically the entire culture of Japan are centered on community so it's more meaningful to celebrate with a large group than a small one.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2