Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shunsui

61 54.95%
  • Gin

50 45.05%
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyōraku Shunsui vs Ichimaru Gin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kyōraku Shunsui vs Ichimaru Gin

Uh Ichigo wasn't intended to be a backup. Gin wanted to Kill Aizen. And he would've succeeded too if not for that retarded orb nonsense (though given JUST AS PLANNED maybe not... >>).

Granted he ended up being the main plan, but that's horrid plot more than anything else. Seriously though, do you honestly believe Ichigo had a PRAYER at all if he didn't get that utterly stupid dangai training?

No, seriously, consider this for a moment. Ichigo technically lost even WITH Dangai training. His one shot did nothing. All his power did nothing save actually make Aizen WTF for once in that asininely long arc. Hell, he would have killed Ichigo then and there if Urahara hadn't had an utterly stupid seal that wouldn't work ready for when/if he lost his powers. And Aizen only apparently lost his powers because he himself wanted that.

Granted you could definitely say Gin did not remotely expect Aizen to get that strong, much less survive his bankai but let's be honest here. Even without the Orb, with knowledge of KS, and indeed with resolve, the Ichigo that fought Gin clearly didn't have even a hint of a prayer in even beginning to match Aizen.
    Last edited by Random101; March 05, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Riverrun
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Random101 View Post
    Uh Ichigo wasn't intended to be a backup. Gin wanted to Kill Aizen. And he would've succeeded too if not for that retarded orb nonsense (though given JUST AS PLANNED maybe not... >>).

Granted he ended up being the main plan, but that's horrid plot more than anything else. Seriously though, do you honestly believe Ichigo had a PRAYER at all if he didn't get that utterly stupid dangai training?

No, seriously, consider this for a moment. Ichigo technically lost even WITH Dangai training. His one shot did nothing. All his power did nothing save actually make Aizen WTF for once in that asininely long arc. Hell, he would have killed Ichigo then and there if Urahara hadn't had an utterly stupid seal that wouldn't work ready for when/if he lost his powers. And Aizen only apparently lost his powers because he himself wanted that.

Granted you could definitely say Gin did not remotely expect Aizen to get that strong, much less survive his bankai but let's be honest here. Even without the Orb, with knowledge of KS, and indeed with resolve, the Ichigo that fought Gin clearly didn't have even a hint of a prayer in even beginning to match Aizen.
    You said in a previous post Gin was intended to be a backup plan. Ichigo resolve was weak, Gin broke that within a few minutes of their battle. Gin expected Ichigo to keep growing and didn't expect Aizen to absorb the Orb.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Omiem's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-In terms of swordsmanship, both Shunsui and Gin are pretty talented in this area due to their aspects of sneakiness on the battlefield, and I can't really say who edges out the other. We've seen Shunsui use his hat and Haori as distractions, which is a pretty clever way to create an opening. Gin has also been shown to use a similar tactic by hiding his sword behind his Haori to launch surprise attacks, and we've seen him press on Ichigo right here. So if both fighters went close range, I can see it going either way honestly.

-In terms of speed, I guess Shunsui would probably have the edge here due to his long distance feat being praised by Yamamoto, and Gin hasn't really display any impressive Shunpo from what I've seen.

-In terms of physical strength, both are probably equally strong in my opinion.

-In terms of abilities, I'll have to say Gin's bankai due its speed, long range aspect, and of course, poison. Shunsui's Shikai is great, but it can be uncontrollable at times, and Irooni is a very risky ability against Gin's bankai and swordsmanship. This is still a pretty close match up, and I can definitely see Shunsui winning. But for right now, Gin has my vote by a slight edge.
    Last edited by Omiem; March 05, 2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Nvm

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ki0 View Post
    You said in a previous post Gin was intended to be a backup plan. Ichigo resolve was weak, Gin broke that within a few minutes of their battle. Gin expected Ichigo to keep growing and didn't expect Aizen to absorb the Orb.
    Huh, you're right. That's downright bizarre. I think I meant plotwise after he was already on the ground dying, in a similar vein to what I was saying earlier. Since he failed he 'sent' Ichigo on to do it in his place since he actually grew a pair.

Never really posted something so brutally different than what I meant before. O.o

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Riverrun
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done that plenty of times dude. Anyway I still think Gin would have the advantage if he isn't extremely dumb about this.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If he isn't as stupid as he was with Ichigo, he has a decent chance to catch Shunsui off guard I will admit. Which in itself is all he really needs to end it.

Of course, in the same vein, Shunsui's Shikai has a few counters for that precise moment if they come out to play. A lot of factors are involved to say the least.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hajialibaig's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, seeing how Shunsui is only limited to Shikai (thus limiting his power to only 10% to 20% of his full potential), I can see why some people are voting for Gin (in addition to PURE fanboyism).

But the simple fact remains: Shunsui is faster, and exponentially more powerful than the Ichigo that held off Gin with relative ease - it was anti-climatic indeed.

Shunsui >> Gin any day, any time. That's how the manga will end up, you can count on it.
    Last edited by hajialibaig; March 06, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^Because we use feats here, not hype.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hajialibaig's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Omiem View Post
    ^Because we use feats here, not hype.
    But you do realize that limiting a character to Shikai only will automatically put a 10-20% power limit on them by default?

OK, I am off

*goes to watch all episodes in which shunsui fights*
    Last edited by hajialibaig; March 06, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^And you do realize that adding an unseen Bankai to the equation will only make things even more complicated?

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gin. None of Shunsui's games which only work half the time are a real threat to him. Taka Oni? Gin looks up, sees Shunsui floating above him, extends his sword and stabs him through the chest. Kage oni? That'll only work if he can somehow find the time to find Gin's shadow and step on it before getting cut in half. Iro oni? LOL that one is suicide against Gin really. Gin can attack from several kilometers away and retract his sword to wakizashi length in a nanosecond to defend from any attack, that's a million times better than two swords honestly.

Shunsui may be stronger overall (big maybe) but bankai vs. shikai Gin absolutely, completely, without-a-doubt destroys him. This isn't a shot at Shunsui either, I think Gin could take Kisuke, Love, Rose, Kensei, Isshin, Yoruichi, and Isshin (all of whom I consider greater than or equal to Shunsui) with his bankai as well. Gin would have a hard time against Shinji though admittedly.

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hajialibaig View Post
    But the simple fact remains: Shunsui is faster, and exponentially more powerful than the Ichigo that held off Gin with relative ease - it was anti-climatic indeed.
    Don't know where you got "faster" from - Gin has never really needed to display his speed since he's always outmatched his oppontents (unless you count Aizen). Also, I don't like to repeat myself but I'm pretty sure Gin had no intention of killing Ichigo, he had multiple chances to do so but didn't etc etc.

Anyway, even if Shunsui is faster than Gin, it won't do him much good if he still isn't faster than Gin's Bankai.

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Takahashi's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how anyone can say Gin was trying to kill Ichigo with a straight face. When you're staring off into the distance at another battle and you're opponent says "your back's open!" and then when you spin around, he laughs and recommends they take a break, I'm pretty sure the dude's just fucking with you.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say he was trying to kill him the whole time. I said there were intervals in that fight where he was extremely serious, same as intervals where he was incredibly laid back. You cannot tell me that anyone could possibly be expected to survive taking his Gattling attack head on with any kind of reliability, not without Hierro or something. Had Ichigo not gotten his mask up in time he would have been paste. Seriously.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jackk's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't Gin go on the offensive like this against Shunsui:

But this time, actually TRY to kill his opponent (Gin was clearly not trying to kill Ichigo).

My point is, if Gin starts unleashing really fast attacks from different angles and at some point extends his blade... he may catch Shunsui with it. And if he can pierce him enough to inject the poison, then it will be over. Shunsui might be skilled at short ranged combat perhaps, but Gin's bankai is still very lethal--one wrong move and you're toast. Besides, Shunsui would be in trouble if his zanpakutou is not in the mood to play his games at some point. And if Gin wants to strategically keep a distance at some point, he does have the option to do so and attack with long range attacks; his blade can also extend pretty far etc.
    Last edited by Jackk; March 06, 2011 at 02:17 AM.

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast