Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Wolfsmund by KYUJI Mitsuhiku

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfsmund by KYUJI Mitsuhiku

Volume 1

Released: February 15, 2010
    Volume 2

Released: October 15, 2010

Wolfsmund
    By: KYUJI Mitsuhiku
    Genre: Historical, Action, Tragedy
    Serialized In: Fellows
    Mangaupdates

Wolfsmund is a dark historical manga set in the early 14th century of Europe (Switzerland). The story revolves around the eponymous fortress in the St. Gotthard Pass which is ruled by a sadistic tyrant. Basically, each chapter deals with characters who for some reason have to cross the pass and who end up getting interrogated by the mentioned tyrant. ~Nomad Soul of Kotonoha

This is an utterly brutal manga. I'm still not sure what else to say about it. The way the chapter ended was simply evil.
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 14, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [NEW] Wolfsmund by KYUJI Mitsuhiku

Oh that's great, I haven't seen anything from Miura's assistants yet and it sounds kinda interesting
    Seems like he inherited Miura's affiliation to medieval europe

The cover page contains some German text, here's the translation:
    "In early 14th century, a merciless guardian watched over the St. Gotthardt pass and nobody could cross the border without a thorough interrogation. The impregnable castle was called "Wolfsmund"." (Wolfsmund could be translated as Wolf's mouth).
    This text is both on the cover with the charging knight as well as on the black and golden page with the shield and two crossed swords. That double-page also contains some words on the right side:
    "Poesie des Widerstandes" - "Poetry of Resistance"

The way her servant calls Lise (Fräulein Lise) is a common (outdated/old) way of calling unmarried women in German. The way she calls him (Herr Georg) is equal to "Mr. Georg" by todays standards. But back in medieval times "Herr" was used as an adress to noblemen or later other influental persons. The gatekeeper of Wolfram is named "Burgtor", which means "Castle Gate". It pretty much suits how he looks, doesn't it?

First chapter was good, I'm awating more
    The ending came kinda unexpected to me, it felt somewhat blunt but on the other hand interestingly different to most manga
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 28, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

4. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...I really rooted for those two to escape...so I guess the summary was right it really seems like this is about the anithero...

I don't really like the art though...the assisstant should've stolen something from Miura...I get the own style thingie, but the art seems to sharp, I mean the character designs have a sharp, pointy edge...and me don't like it...that much, but overall it was a good chapter

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    Wow...I really rooted for those two to escape...so I guess the summary was right it really seems like this is about the anithero...

I don't really like the art though...the assisstant should've stolen something from Miura...I get the own style thingie, but the art seems to sharp, I mean the character designs have a sharp, pointy edge...and me don't like it...that much, but overall it was a good chapter
    The arts kinda reminded me of Übel Blatt.
    But really, for a first work (I think it is?) and the very first chapter it was absolutely fine. Just look how bad certain artists started off and how much they improved in short time.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering what role the inn keeper will play. She does not seem to care for Wolfram. The look on her face at the end of the chapter did not look like that of a supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    First chapter was good, I'm awating more
    The ending came kinda unexpected to me, it felt somewhat blunt but on the other hand interestingly different to most manga
    I have a feeling that this chapter was more to set the scene and establish how evil the Wolfram is. Hopefully future victims will be given multiple chapters, there death will have more impact over the course of short arc than single episodic chapters. If it is one chapter per character this series will get old quick.

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post

Wolfram is an evil dude. Most anti-hero's can be sympathized with; Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Light from Death note each had something that could be identified with. This dude is just evil.

The character design was alright, a little sharp. Maybe a bit typical manga design too. Otherwise brilliant art. Panel layout, design, backgrounds, and flow were brilliant. The first scene of Wolfram standing in his alcove, shown from a distance was so sinister.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    The arts kinda reminded me of Übel Blatt.
    But really, for a first work (I think it is?) and the very first chapter it was absolutely fine. Just look how bad certain artists started off and how much they improved in short time.
    Yep...it definitely is similar...and I didn't like that either...I don't like pointy art...somehow similar to Liar Game as well...for example the last panel of Wolfram where his pointy face and his eye that is almost falling out reminded me of LG...

But I can take the art...cuz the story seems to be good

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm wondering what role the inn keeper will play. She does not seem to care for Wolfram. The look on her face at the end of the chapter did not look like that of a supporter.

I have a feeling that this chapter was more to set the scene and establish how evil the Wolfram is. Hopefully future victims will be given multiple chapters, there death will have more impact over the course of short arc than single episodic chapters. If it is one chapter per character this series will get old quick.

Wolfram is an evil dude. Most anti-hero's can be sympathized with; Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Light from Death note each had something that could be identified with. This dude is just evil.

The character design was alright, a little sharp. Maybe a bit typical manga design too. Otherwise brilliant art. Panel layout, design, backgrounds, and flow were brilliant. The first scene of Wolfram standing in his alcove, shown from a distance was so sinister.
    Yep...the paneling was done really good...I loved the struggle on the mountain side...another good point is that the violent impacts are not shown, just the motions and then the result...

Good stuff about the inn keeper...I don't think she's a rebel, and she might have some personal connection to Wolfram...it would be cool if we would have an evil antihero and an opposing woman...it's seems original...I don't think I've ever read about smart women confronting evil men
    Last edited by benelori; February 28, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She's featured prominently on the back of volume ones cover so she must be of some importance. When she first showed up I figured she as a crony of Wolfram. By the end of the chapter I was not so sure. At this point in the story I have a feeling she finds his methods objectionable but does nothing to oppose him. I wonder if she will attempt some sort of subversion, like secretly trying to smuggle fugitives across the border.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she's just giving advices to people, not to cross Wolfram...I think she is this passive observer, and she might even act as a buffer zone between the ordinary people and Wolfram...that's why I'm waiting for the moment that will spark some proactive behaviour...anyway...does anyone know the release schedule?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't really feel anything for the protagonists, I mean we hardly knew them; why should I care if they die at the end of the chapter?
    Not very impressed with this, the art also looks a bit generic.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    I couldn't really feel anything for the protagonists, I mean we hardly knew them; why should I care if they die at the end of the chapter?
    I see your point about the protagonists. For me it did work out this chapter, I kinda liked them. Yet I kinda fear that this might be very dependend on each chapter as I can't imagine this to have any constancy in protagonists if the format goes on like this. But after all it only was the first chapter, so there's lot of time for change.

Yeah the art isn't special yet, but it's a first work after all, isn't it? I'm sure it will improve, probably even very soon.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    I'm hoping the next set of victims are given more than one chapter to be developed. Hopefully each arc is a multi-chapter story about Wolfram and his victims. If it is a victim per chapter the story would be way to episodic. I would also prefer if Wolfram is the focus of the series, even if it's from the eyes of his victims.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you can argue that it's the author's first work, but then again his style already looks rather defined. He might improve, but I don't think that will change. Anyway I know it's kind of harsh to judge on the first chapter, but I feel that to be so whether negative or positive.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfsmund by KYUJI Mitsuhiku

The release is oddly slow? After a year of two chapters we get one now?

Nice, I can see from some of the drawings where Miura's assistant might have drawn some panels in Berserk, I suppose it was the battle scenes that Miura needed help with, those look similar. Mostly I guess he was the one that learned from Miura. And I have to ask is the story based on historical evidence or folk tales, it appears to be a folk story I think I have heard, William Tell and all.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfsmund by KYUJI Mitsuhiku

though certainly not my taste, and will not willingly continue it, i must say it is at least intriguing. truly it showcases the sheer brutality of medieval times and the tragedy. It also simplifies the chapterly characters so we are not entirely overwhelmed by their inevitable demise yet still angered.
    however the characters in general are not intersting. even if it is only three chapters so far, we see the villain we watch get away with his cruelty and these kind of mangaki always end with him not getting his dues. the honest truth is that the majority of people prefer to see such guys get punished, die horribly, etc. let alone see relative good guys die, especialyl when it is not done with balance. Beserk does it right, of course, but this one doesn't.
    and back to the main villain/character. he is nothing more than an entirely unforgivable bastard without loyalty to anyone, not even the king, who deserves to be ass raped with a rusty, sewage covered pipe himself. normally for us to want to watch and follow a darkly character, he needs some honor and likeable characteristics. Gutts of berserk, who has redeeming qualities, is still a raging wall of wrath and violence who will destroy almsot anyone who dares threaten him, whether a demon, mutated children, or simple town guards or holy knights. And lelouch of code geass, clever, deceiving, to a point power hungry and manipulative, he ultimately seeks to better the world and has powerful personal connections to those close to him. the fact that he martyred himself in the end in a way that is rarely seen, and this ultimate sacrifice will never be known, guised with humanity crimes and a facade of cruelty that he ultimatly punished himself for.
    then again i am comparing the manga to two titular characters and manga/anime, but still.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

that is nothing. it seems to have only three volumes are released, each with roughly only three chapters. it was released in 2009, so like three chapters a year.
    and it only gets darker and more upsetting. the bad guy will obviously never be thwarted.

yep, giving this manga up like a terd down the toilet.

---------- Post added March 07, 2012 at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was February 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM ----------

looking later in the manga, i see that the cycle repeats indefinitely. to the point it is utterly boring. you know that if they cross this person, they will die cruelly and evilly. no matter who they are and what their skills. this might be interesting a story if left only to the first three chapters, but it does not satisfy. it leaves you with an extremely angry feeling that is not easy to subdue, and fails to entertain because of this; makes me feel like killing a politician more than anything. perhaps if the man gets his dues, but as i said, that is unlikely.

New Reply