Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Miria Bieng Alive?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a good move

5 33.33%
  • I'm glad, but feel it wasn't done well

0 0%
  • It was a bad move

1 6.67%
  • I hate Miria and wish she was dead

0 0%
  • Galatea should pray more often, it works!

9 60.00%
New Reply

Thread: Claymore 113-Spearhead of Rebellion Review

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Claymore 113-Spearhead of Rebellion Review

Claymore Chapter 113- Spearhead of Rebellion- Review

Well, welcome to another review of another chapter of Claymore. I must admit, that this month was a little interesting, since their was very little in the way of spoilers before the actual chapter came out. And the spoiler itself was very small, and in all honesty somewhat questionable sounding. As for the Chapter itself, I found it quite fulfilling. But first the Poll results. I asked people how surprised they were that the Organization was creating Awakened Beings One person really didn't expect it. Two people were suspicious. Four didn't expect it, but felt the Org was sufficiently shady that it's no surprise. Five people totally saw this coming. And five people asked the perfectly good question, why bother with spending those resources on something so absurd as male AB's and not trying to clone Galatea?
    Mad Science At Work-
    We open on Rubel paying Dae an visit. Dae is surprised to have a visitor, but Rubel claims to just be interested in how it's going. Dae fills him in on how he can only revive three former number ones, and the criteria for why he picked the three he did. They needed no physical abnormalities, and then the three strongest from that pool. The only one we know for sure he picked was Cassandra the Dust Eater. And it seems that she took quite a lot of killing. However their conversation is cut short when another MIB shows up to check on the process. Seems Rimuto want's things moved along as fast as possible, but Dae puts things in perspective by saying he can send them out now... If they don't mind them being uncontrollable Abyssal ones. But then there is another problem, as Rubel needs to report to a meeting. Seems the northern facility is under attack...
    Well this was a short but interesting little section. We get some interaction between probably the two most dangerous black coats, Dae, and Rubel, but I think we also learn a few interesting things. That double page spread with the bodies that Dae is trying to revive. The walls look organic, and resemble the flesh of Awakened Beings The other really interesting thing is the way the tubes/cables go into the bodies. They look like their melding right into the flesh. Honestly, it reminds me of when Claire was emerging from the destroyer. I think the tubes merge with the flesh, and infuse yoki and new tissue. Now I wonder if the process for making a Claymore is something similar? Perhaps the deformity on their stomachs isn't a scar, but rather a patch of flesh that resembles that of an Awakened Beings? We also learn a little bit about one of the former number ones being awakened. Seems like Cassandra went over her limit, but didn't awaken before being killed. What's interesting is that it still sounds like she was resisting, and considering the vast number of wounds (126!) and the fact it took her a long time to die, she wasn't being put down quietly. This is a strange set of circumstances. Either she was losing control of her body, but still managing to hold back from awakening the whole time, or something else happened. Maybe she was able to revert, but no one else realized it, and she was killed anyways? Another thing to note is Rubel commenting on Dae's choices. Of course everyone is wondering, will Teresa be among the three? This is why Rubel's reaction is interesting. If Teresa wasn't among the three then perhaps once again Rubel was keeping something from the rest of the Org? Personally I think Teresa isn't one of them. And here's my reason. In the Back Shot, we can see scars from her wounds on Cassandra. But none of the corpses have wounds matching where Teresa's hands were cut off. We also have him start to talk to Dae about the recent attack by Miria. While Rubel does say that there is no way for her to have survived after all the damage, one gets the impression he was going to follow that up with a “but”. However he never gets the chance due to their interruption. I kinda like Dae's reaction to being told to hurry. It's a nice way of putting someone in their place, by pointing out how bad it will be if they mess up. Of course the Org has other problems., with the attack on their northern facility, and this news actually causes Rubel to drop his smirk!
    Choppy Choppy, Hack, Hack-
    Of course the northern facility is being dismantled by the ghosts and Anastasia's team. As Deneve points out to Tabitha, this means they have lost the element of surprise. Tabitha still considers it the right course of action, as it's what Miria would do. Deneve also points out to Anastasia that this means her team has now taken up arms against the Organization. Although Ana has rationalized it, Deneve points out that this means they will have to fight the Organization's warriors.
    Not much here. We just get to check in on the Ghosts and Anastasia's team. Ana is working well with Deneve, although it's clear she doesn't want bring her sword to bear against the warriors still loyal to the Organization. If only their was some way is didn't have to come to that.
    Good Thing They Don't Know It's A Load Of Bull, Right?-
    We now get to a MIB giving a rousing speech. One I will be dissecting piece by piece. We learn that the Org knows that a group is going to attack, and has recalled all the warriors to it. That an attack on the Organization is an attack on the land and it's people. Well we know that's bullshit. Of course the organization can claim they had to defend themselves, even if it meant leaving everywhere else undefended, as without them their would be nothing to protect humans from Yoma and Awakened Beings Then he says that this rebellion if the result of foolish, naive, and temporary feelings, and that cannot be forgiven.. Now here we have a crack. The Org isn't even going to try and talk out the grievances, but if they are so foolish and temporary, why not try to get them to change their minds? That the missing Dietrich and Anastasia's team have fallen to them. Of course that is not the case. I guess the Org was trying to build some sense of vengeance, but I wonder what would have happened if they saw that Dee and Ana were with the rebels? Seems like the Org didn't prepare for that event, oddly enough. Next they get told that some have already awakened and are disguised as humans. Now I'm not completely sure what that's supposed to mean. Probably it's their way of covering their asses if the fight gets to the AB factory. On the other hand, maybe their now trying to pass the Ghosts off as awakened. Problem with that is the Ghosts aren't going to transform. Well anyways at the end of the speech, it's time to move out. Rubel seems rather happy with the resolve the Claymores are showing, and says as much.
    The Word That Was Not Spoken-
    As the Organization's Claymores begin to move, one of them flashes back to Miria's attack. She thinks about how when they were all called, none of the warriors took it seriously. Then word of the attack came, and they wondered how many the enemy numbered. But their was just one warrior, and her power was overwhelming. But on the orders of the MIB, the Warriors attacked. The warrior expected to die when cut down. Then she awoke alive, and realized their foe had spared their life. But the Black coats didn't want them to show any such mercy themselves. And they all followed the lead of the first Claymore to strike. And they did so until the MIB told them to stop. But their was something they were all thinking. But not one could bring themselves to say...
    Well, I'm confused about the time frame here. All the Org's Claymores were called back three months ago? Has it been that long, or did the Org call them back for another reason? They were told to worry about an attack by Alicia and Beth? So did the Org expect Alicia and Beth to turn on them? Or were they planning to purge the twins once they returned? Or was it all just an excuse? Of course we see that being spared has affected the organization's warriors. They weren't striking vital spots from the get go. Not from the first small Claymore. And that is interesting. It means one of the Shrimp Twins set things in motion. It may seem strange as the shrimps would be the most indoctrinated. But as Miria noted, they still care for one another. Hell the Org couldn't remove that from Alicia and Beth. And the twins would not only have felt they owed Miria for sparing each her own life, but also that of her sister. Now I kinda hope we get a name for the Shrimps. It may seem odd that none of the MIB went in to check themselves, but the Claymores were shooting them death glares. Honestly the Org never thinks highly of it's Claymores, so they probably felt they shouldn't get too close to the bloodthirsty dogs. Now of course we have to wonder just what it was all the Claymore's were thinking. Personally when I read it, I thought it was “No”, as in “No, We Won't Do It”. Others feel it might have been “revolt”. It seems like it would have been a little early for that, but I could be wrong. And I saw one person who felt it could have been “Why?”. Honestly that fits perfectly, as the series of events would have left the Claymores in a state of confusion.
    X-
    However the Claymores don't go anywhere. Rather, they all turn and face the MIB's. And as the Men In Black shout for them to move out, another joins them. An X shaped scar marking her face, the Phantom Miria now leads them. And declares the revolt has begun.
    Okay Miria is alive. Some are going to bitch that this was a dumb move. Honestly I don't know what to think. I'm glad Miria is alive, but I can see how it feels sorta like a cop out. On the other hand her survival isn't that implausible. If the Claymores chopping at her deliberately didn't strike killing blows, then yes, she could have survived. As to why their following her, I imagine that whoever took her away, talked to her. And if they did so, well Miria certainly could have some things to tell them. Look back at that speech the MIB gave. If you know certain things, like Miria knows, you see the cracks in it, and the lies beneath. And the Claymores were already upset with the organization. Actions speak louder than words, and Miria's actions of sparing them speak a lot louder than what the Organization has been saying. Funny, we all thought her doing so was a foolish naive thing, but in the end it paid off. The Organization has potentially lost all it's warriors, except maybe Rafetela. We'll have to wait and see on her. Of course things could turn around very quickly, with the Three revived number ones. Although I have to wonder what Dae is doing to make sure their controllable, and why the Org doesn't do it more often. I suspect we'll see the Ghosts show up soon into any fighting that ensues next. I do have to hope we see a few of the Black coats get killed first though.
    Winner of the Month- Miria, I mean damn. Not only does she show up alive, but how often does someone turn all the enemy troops to their side by getting chopped up by them?

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 113-Spearhead of Rebellion Review

about the poll:

I chose it was a "good move", because of the possible intrigue of this being a "super plan" by Miria/Rubel + possibly Tabatha/Audrey/Galatea were in on it/helping it/supporting it

and it obviously regardless of being a "super plan" or not, HAS set up the "double strike" epic war against the Org: Tabatha+Ghosts+Rebel Claymores assualting the secret Org Lab in northern Sutare's mtns and Miria+Org Claymores assaulting the Org HQs, and then we got these 3 "re-animated rank 1 Claymore dolls", possibly AFs, NYs, Awakeneds, Raftela, and maybe Raki on the Organization's side, hehe

and then we got the "blob" (Clare, Priscilla, and Destroyer) near Rabona (and Galatea, Miata, and Clarice) too... to wonder about...

-------------------------------------------------

and here's my own comments on the chapter:

Spoiler show

Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 03, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Miria bare the Samurai X mark! Oh Miria, you have now 5 more kitty live left if you were a cat. 1) When she was about to awake. 2) In the mountain with Deneva/Helen/Clare. 3) Rigardo in the Pieta. 4) Claymores chopping her.

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well HK, I'm not enterely sure if it was a super plan, well not exactly the way it plays out. Too much of a risk of Miria getting killed. Unless she factored in her own death, and felt it would be worth it to get the Org's Claymores to revolt. Although that still strikes me as plan C at best with plan A bieng, go in, incapacitate the warriors, and kill the MIB. Hell, if it weren't for Raftela, that could have happened. I'm not sure if everything is going according to Rubel's plan or not. We see his face next chapter we'll know for sure. But remember, he would like to see the ghosts wiped out, and I'm sure Miria has figured that out by now.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I'm not saying how "plausable" it is, as it's certainly a far stretch... but it's possible because:

Miria might have known, she wasn't going to die, it could have been staged/planned ahead of time by her or Rubel.

as Rubel/Audrey could have informed the Claymores for Miria to stage out Miria's death and pretend to still be loyal to the Org.

waiting to "reveal" their rebellion at the set time... coordinating with Tabatha + Deneve launching an attack on the Org Lab (didn't Deneve say how Miria had told her about the Org Lab or at least the "pre-yoki" of the male Awakeneds... maybe Miria had planned this with Deneve as well as Tabatha), so that simultanously the Org HQs and its secret lab are assaulted at the same time, while Galatea+Miata+Clarice protect Rabona for them
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 04, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jamie95403's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In Scene 110, in a bit of foreshadowing, Dae privately mentions to Chief Klimt of "Claymore rebellion" as well as "the mysterious group" (Deneuve and Co.). So personnel in the Org were already aware of something afoot even before Miria's reappearance in Scene 113. Which is why Klimt gave permission to create the three Abyssal Ones to fill the Org's power gap.

I notice on the other forums the use of "deus ex machina" for Miria's reappearance and the Claymore rebellion. We've seen event A (Miria going down in Scene 107) and event C (Miria's reappearance in Scene 113). But the "deus ex machina," if in fact that's what it is, would be in event B, which hasn't been shown yet. We still need to see what happened (or not) between A and C.

Logically, the sparing of Miria's life appears improbably at best, though not impossible, given that a percentage of the warriors lives were spared a second time (possibly as many as 13 warriors saved by the Ghosts). The issue here is that a much larger percentage of warriors' live were spared only once, since they've had no previous experience with the Ghosts. Even here we don't know how many of the 13 saved warriors survived to Scene 110.

Hopefully, Scene 114 will give us event B and fill us in.

But the fun of Claymore is that events keep us off-balance, with sudden twists in the storyline (and I did think Miria was dead).
    Last edited by jamie95403; March 04, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
    All possibilities are on the table...

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply