Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: [JP] Xを売りにしろ

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

[JP] Xを売りにしろ

Hello there.

So, I've stumbled across the following panel and I'm really puzzled about a certain line. (The one in the balloon down on the left):

There really isn't much context here. The Gorilla is kinda clumsy and always states so himself ("自分…不器用っス" is one of his trademark lines that appears slightly different in this panel. [I still haven't decided whether "clumsy" is the best way to put "fukiyou"...]). And he was challenged to a fight.

Now, I get what the Gorilla says. Something along the lines of:
    >> I may be… clumsy… but it’s impossible for me to turn down a challenge to a fight between (honorable) men!
    But the remark from the Wolf leaves me completely puzzled... it's just too vague IMO, like, I'm not even sure if it is an imperative form he uses or if it is a case where "ni shiro" is used like "ni seyo" (as explained: here).

If anybody has an idea as to what's implied here, I'd really appreciate if you shared your wisdom with me. ^_^

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mr. Prince; March 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Changed prefix

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Xを売りにしろ

Prince-saaaaan~

And... Oumagadoki!!

Okay, anyway! I think I know what Oogami is saying here. I think 売り here has the meaning of "selling point", and にしろ is, like you said, an imperative form.

I think basically what Oogami is saying that having seen how Gori dealt with the walrus (what was his name again? ), he's not as clumsy as he says he is, and in fact he is actually quite skillful (and hence should use that as his "selling point" [since all along Gori has been belittling himself and saying he's clumsy)... Do I make sense?

So I would probably translate Oogami's line as something like:
    >> No way, you can already use your skillfulness as your selling point

... Or something along those lines. There's probably a better way to render it, but I hope this helps

P.S.: OT but did you see Oumaga in last week's featured manga on the MH front page?

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Xを売りにしろ

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    Prince-saaaaan~

And... Oumagadoki!!
    Yaaaa~y!! Heya Sal-chan~ *feels the Oumaga love*

Quote Quote:
    Do I make sense?
    Oh, you certainly are. I initially even thought the comment might be referring to the fight against Kaizou (that's his name ;D) but because the line appeared so shortened I got completely confused...

But now that I see you read it the same, I'm wondering how I couldn't get the reference!

Quote Quote:
    ... Or something along those lines. There's probably a better way to render it, but I hope this helps
    Yupp, it sure does. Thanks~

Quote Quote:
    P.S.: OT but did you see Oumaga in last week's featured manga on the MH front page?
    Why, but of course! And I thought it was great!! It's such a shame that neither on the net, nor in the magazine it gets the attention it deserves... x/ But, oh well, time will tell... maybe a little miracle will happen?

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

New Reply