Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kubo's Engrish and Españor

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member R4zr's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo's Engrish and Españor

All right guys, let's set some rules first :

-This thread is not intended to bash Kubo, but instead its primary purpose is to have lulz over some titles and other stuff he mispelled.

-Anyone who recalls some epic mistake can post it here.

I'll start with the few things i actually remember XD

-Four arms to killing you
    -Wolves ain't howl alone
    -Cero oscuras
    -Thank you for defend me

Feel free to continue

Also feel free to use this thread to discuss the chapter titles in general ^^ ~igotthegoods
    Last edited by igotthegoods; December 04, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
    So keep the blood in your head and keep your feet on the ground
    If today's the day it gets tired, today's the day we drop out
    Gave up my body and bed, all for an empty hotel
    Wasting words on lower cases and capitals.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Zangetsutan's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kubo's Engrish and Españor

If you call me beast,kill you like tempest lol

but maybe he just purposely made them that way to sound cool?like six hearts will beat as one,the knuckle debate & knockdown monsters just sound epic to me

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, those aren't nesesarily mistakes. They are probably made that way so that japanese people who are not familiar with spanish can pronounce the titles since there are a few sounds in spanish that do not exist in japanese.

Also, cero oscuras also has a meaning in both, japanese and spanish. making gramatically correct in spanish would probably make it meaningless in japanese. The same would be for almost any name used by the arrancar so far. The bleach wikia is surprisingly helpful in that, they translate every name for the two languages.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hes been naming his chapters with that broken english since the beginning so i have to asume he knows what hes doing. also i love the way the titles are worded, its very clever and cool.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Rainier's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

''Cero oscuras'' is actually a mistake. If he wanted to say Dark Zeros then it would be ''Ceros oscuros''.

Also, even though they are probably intended mistakes I don't like them D:
    With enough knowledge and creativity you can even make the word Incest sound cool. So I don't think that's a valid excuse. That's just me though xD.

Btw~ He also uses German.

Fricking.Awesome.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    ''Cero oscuras'' is actually a mistake. If he wanted to say Dark Zeros then it would be ''Ceros oscuros''.

Also, even though they are probably intended mistakes I don't like them D:
    With enough knowledge and creativity you can even make the word Incest sound cool. So I don't think that's a valid excuse. That's just me though xD.

Btw~ He also uses German.
    cero oscuras is not a mistake. kubo makes the kanji so that it has a meaning in spanish and Japanese. cero oscuras is Japanese for black hollow flash. Obviously in spanish it is not gramatically correct but you have to consider it still sounds cool for his mainly Japanese readers.

Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

But it is a mistake. You said it yourself. I made it obvious enough that I meant it was a grammatical mistake, hence the correction.

And as I said, I don't think that just because It ''sounds cool'' is an excuse for him to write it like that. He can do better.
    Last edited by Rainier; December 03, 2009 at 12:58 AM.

Fricking.Awesome.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with kkck. Kubo does use correct Spanish elsewhere. And he does look up terms, often replacing words with other words he thinks sound cooler. I think "Cero oscuras" was done on purpose. It's wrong, but not a mistake, imo.

English, too. There are so many titles in proper grammar that I doubt those in the original post are "mistakes".

I love his use of Spanish, btw. I don't see that in any other anime/manga. Every arrancar zanpakutou name is damn cool, except for Yammy's. "Ira" sucks.

Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a mistake, it isn't an error. ^^

Fricking.Awesome.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    cero oscuras is not a mistake. kubo makes the kanji so that it has a meaning in spanish and Japanese. cero oscuras is Japanese for black hollow flash. Obviously in spanish it is not gramatically correct but you have to consider it still sounds cool for his mainly Japanese readers.
    You have a misunderstanding about how this works.

For one thing, Japanese and Spanish have totally different grammar structures, so some of the double meanings in there are downright impossible using your interpretation.

Kanji are ideograms, and stand for a specific meaning, not a pronunciation. There are typical ways to pronounce them, but the kanji's pronunciation can be changed with Furigana.

Note: If you want to know what I'm talking about with Furigana, go look at a raw for some shounen manga (Bleach is one). Either directly next to or above most of the Kanji will be a set of smaller characters. Those are Furigana, and are used to denote the pronunciation of that Kanji.

I'll use a few examples, for illustration.

In Death Note, the kanji for the main character's name is 夜神 月. Normally, this would be pronounced Yagami Tsuki, or possibly Yagami Getsu. However, the last character is written with the Furigana ライト, meaning that it is pronounced Raito, which is the closest that Japanese can get to mimicking the English word "light".

One thing I've noticed in One Piece lately is that Oda will use the kanji 能力 (ability), usually pronounced nouryoku, and uses furigana that makes it pronounced chikara, a related but subtly different word.

Let's take Cero in Bleach. It is written with the Kanji 虚閃, which would normally pronounced kosen or kyosen, and has the meaning "empty flash". However, it is written with the Furigana セロ, in order to imitate the Spanish word Cero, meaning "zero".

That is where the double meaning comes from. I hope you understood that.

There is a manga-ka that has done what you are thinking of though: Kishimoto Masashi, Naruto's manga-ka. Some of the techniques that he has had Killer Bee, Raikage, and Darui use use proper (though not typical) readings of kanji to create an English word with their pronunciation. These techniques that I can think of right now are Lariat, Ranton: Laser Circus, Elbow, and Guillotine Drop.

12. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Bleach Humor thread

I never said it was a mistake in Japanese. I said that the right way to write it in Spanish would be what I previously corrected.
    It may not be a mistake in the japanese pronunciation, but it doesn't make sense in spanish.
    Therefore it's a mistake in the spanish grammar, but maybe not in the japanese pronunciation.

Fricking.Awesome.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    I never said it was a mistake in Japanese. I said that the right way to write it in Spanish would be what I previously corrected.
    It may not be a mistake in the japanese pronunciation, but it doesn't make sense in spanish.
    Therefore it's a mistake in the spanish grammar, but maybe not in the japanese pronunciation.
    I still don't get what the problem is(it is starting to sound as if you just want to complain). Obviously the priority is Japanese and kubo is trying to be cool by making it sound similar to spanish. I doubt kubo could make it sound perfect in Spanish and have it make sense in Japanese. On another note, this is what cero oscuras sounds like when ulquiorra says it: sero osukyurasu. Even the exact pronunciation is hard to get right lol.

@ jiggy
    Thanks for the info, that was really helpful.

Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that it IS a mistake even if it sounds cool or not :P

Again, a grammar mistake in spanish. People keep saying it isn't, even when my point is clear, lol.

And, if it's going to 'sound cool' in japanese anyway, why the need of writing 2 other languages the wrong way?

After all, it's for Japanese people.

Fricking.Awesome.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

hey guys, sorry for being that guy, and I will admit it is a rather interesting discussion, but isn't it starting to go a little off topic? I mean, I'm not feeling the lulz.
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How about...

236) The Sun Already Gone Down
    286) Guillotine You Standing
    293) Urge For Unite
    325) Fear for Fight
    363) Superchunky From Hell (not incorrect, but still funny to say)

Oh, and what the hell does [Discordeque Mix] mean? And how do you even pronounce it? I've been saying "diss-cord-uh-kay", but I'm not too sure...

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast