Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake in Japan

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 9.0 Magnitude Earthquake in Japan

There was a girl in Fukushima who decided to express her thoughts on the whole "oh no food from Fukushima is dangerous!" issue via manga. It's caused quite a stir on the internet, with some people thinking it was great and touching, others thinking it was full of BS and nonsense. Either way, here is the manga, translated as well by me The title is "To Kantou, from Fukushima".

Spoiler show

So, your thoughts?

(images from 2ch)
    Last edited by saladesu; April 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

2. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GEshode's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a great message. Sadly it's true. I guess, most of the people just don't care, if they're not directly affected by it.

If you eliminate the impossible, what ever remains, how ever improbable, must be the thruth!
    The GEshode Thread
    The journey, which is called life

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this story was intense.
    I have never read a comic that was emotionally based from recently true experiences before. And these experiences she displayed as drawings, was very brief and poetic at the same time. It makes you want to sympathize with her - to be on her side of justice.

If any of you noticed, the drawings in each coming page got more detailed when you read on. I love how she would draw, and then write an empty page for a message. She did well in expressing herself. You could tell she was pissed when she drew this. I'm just wondering what led her to delete the images.

I wonder what she'll do next...

I hope she doesn't get frightened or embarrassed that it became popular online, and draws more of things like this. I'm surprised that none of the mangakas in Tokyo made personal stories of these tragedies in Japan.

This is my first time ever hearing news about someone drawing manga because of personal experiences that happened in Japan recently. If there are others who did what she did, then her work is probably the first to be acknowledged or known to this high extent.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member miramira's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think the message of the manga and the emotions she obviously felt were intense. I was told the manga was removed from its' original page? I hope it wasn't. I hope she didn't remove it out of pressure she might feel from the overwhelming (positive and negative) responses.

Sometimes people really don't care when it isn't their own lives being affected.

I feel sad when people go, "Oh there was an earthquake and tsunami, poor japan, but let's not think about it and move on to another topic", and I feel outraged when people even suggest that Japan "deserves it" for all their irrational reasons. Their lives are endangered and some people don't care. And if there's a slight chance of being affected (by radiation, etc) these people react without care...giving callous comments like those depicted in the manga.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of sounding rude, it is not like people in fukishima would act any differently had the disaster hit elsewhere. Taking a moral highground seems hypocritical at best once that is considered. And exactly would they expect everyone else to do? Safe from a few ignorant who don't know any history, everyone in the world already has expressed their sadness at the horrible events occurred and continue to happen. Help has been sent and feelings have been expressed, what else can be expected of people who were at safe distance and beyond from there? Or is there now something wrong with people who were lucky enough to not be hit by the earthquake or tsunami to continue living their lives normally?

Quote Quote:
    --- What are you talking about? Are you scared of the radiation? Then what about us??
    --- After that, there were many people who said
    --- "I can't eat the vegetables from there anymore"
    --- You guys have a house, a family, food, electricity, water, gas, so why? If you're going to say things like that then don't eat at all.
    Seriously, what is that supposed to mean? Isn't it a perfectly normal concern to worry about possible excess radiation in food from that area? There have in fact been shipments of food and milk which were deemed too dangerous for human consumption. Or is worrying about personal safety being inconsiderate to people who were at greater risk? I really doubt that there is something wrong with worrying about my personal safety just because there are people at greater risk, it is absurd.

And what does " then don't eat at all" even mean? Should people who worry about themselves just die?

Quote Quote:
    -- I'm from Fukushima
    -- Pleased to meet you

--- Fukushima?
    --- The nuclear place, right?
    --- He may have been exposed to radiation, you know!
    --- Fukushima!

-- Waaaaahh
    Obviously this is atrocious and such discrimination should be pointed out and tackled head on. This part did get to me I have to say.

Quote Quote:
    -- That there are people out there suffering so that you can live your lives normally
    As for that, that is not true at all. The fukishima plant did not have people from the area being plugged into the machine and beat up so that the plant would convert their pain into energy. It also did not have rods made out of babies and old ladies tears. The people in fukishima aren't suffering because of people elsewhere, they are suffering because they were hit by a 9.0 earthquake and a freaking tsunami. It is not the fault of the masses elsewhere(or the masses in fukishima) that the atomic plant there was substandard either(that has to be attributed to the proper authorities).

I have to admit I am intrigued as to why the power plants where built there instead of the place where they actually provided energy for. What there a technical reason(like no sites near the intended place to receive energy having the proper qualities to have a nuclear power plant on it)? Where there strategist reasons (like supplying energy to even other places being easier from there)? Or perhaps they just thought that a nuclear accident there would be less dangerous than an accident elsewhere (I guess that would depend on the size fukushima had back in the 70s).

7. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow too sad I actually imagine that such discrimination as kkck mentioned could take place :/
    What stupidity that is, though. Not only that actually the risk of dying of radiation is lower than most people think, it is even more unlikely to suffer health damage just from meeting a radiated person - that's just hysteria.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry i don't know how to use quotes @KKCK
    It might sound like she is being unreasonable by saying that people shouldn't smile or live their lives normally. But, when your world has crumbled around you, it's difficult to believe that the world doesn't stop and see the pain and sadness. For us it's impossible to understand what they're going through, and that's what's so painful for her.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

She's right, I think so too.
    Heck, even people here have that form of discrimination and ignorance.
    It's always the same with people, "if it doesn't affect us, we won't care."
    It's okay if you don't care, there's no need to show that discrimination.

What she did is really touching and I hope it reaches out to others. In Tokyo, as compared to Fukushima it's a lot better. Its understandable that she feels that way after coming from a stricken earthquake area and with people always living in fear of nuclear radiation to somewhere like Tokyo where everything is normal and then there's people who say that to her and who does things like that.
    Listen to her, what she said isn't full of BS and nonsense, she's gone through alot more.
    Shows how ignorant people are to call it BS.
    Last edited by Zeltrax; April 16, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is some truth in what she says, though some of it is, as kkck pointed out, just illogical. The first part kkck quoted about the "don't eat at all!" was probably the most part about it. Didn't make sense. It is only natural to fear the radiation.

I can understand where she is coming from though. As others have said, when your world has just crumbled around you, you would naturally resent those that are living happily and who discriminate against you for something that is entirely not your fault.

What she means by her last line, I think, is in reference to that part about how despite Fukushima being in Touhoku and itself powered by Touhoku Electric, Tokyo Electric went and built a nuclear power plant in Fukushima so that it could power Kantou/Tokyo. She probably just resents that the whole nuclear plant was even located in Fukushima when there was no benefit (apart form maybe employment or something) to themselves. Just so people in Kantou can live their lives normally with electricity, a nuclear plant was built in her hometown and as a result, the disaster led to such an emergency, and all the pain she, her family and friends are undergoing. I can see where she is coming from. I don't think she is outright blaming them, I think she just wants them to remember these things and think before they pass hurtful comments or discriminate against those from Fukushima.

miramira, unfortunately you are right, she deleted it from pixiv after it went viral on 2ch.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Just happen to hear on the local channel here, that shows Japanese news. That a couple of the reactors need to have their water storage or water (holding area?) removed due to high radiation in the water inside them which have been increasing (radiation).

I dont remember too much of the details. So I might have said something incorrect.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They said something about releasing reactive materials into the ocean.
    Whether this is safe (effect our future) is a question unknown to us.
    But it was stated that it will cause some kind of abnormality with the life living under water. This abnormality will not be noticed in the recent years that we are living. But 30-40 years from now, we may hear some kind of abnormal scientific story emerging.

|| AnimanGa News: 11/13-11/18 || .GIF Thread || Genius - Choice? ||

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

They have been releasing water with absurdly high levels of radiation to the ocean for a while now. They have no other option considering we are talking about thousands of gallons of radiated water. In the long run it should cause damage in the immediate area but in turn with time radiation will lose its intensity as it mixes with the ocean water.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Lomahongva's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Last Wendsday, the Prince of Asturias Foundation (Asturies, Spain), failed the Prince of Asturias Award for Concord: it has been given to the Heroes of Fukushima. This award is also an acknowledgement for the entire japanese people. If you want to know more, follow the links.

Let's meet up in the New World! Oh, ok, but I'm the one who's gonna find One Piece! Hi hi hi!

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15