Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yagi's source of inspiration

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member colonywars's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yagi's source of inspiration

Hello

Asahina and wickedsmile thank You very much for Yours posts

I never think about Xena, which is still one from My favorites Fantasy serials, that it could be inspiration to Claymore. But in this serial We had strong female leader, effective fight scenes, ancient monsters and weaponry. And You wickedsmile mentioned, that using of European Swords gives manga something unique from other manga / anime, where is usually used Japan like weapons. And on that picture, which you kindly provided Asahina, this sword, thus smaller than claymore is quite similar

Now I wonder, if Lucy Lawless has change Her color of hair to blond... (as She did it in BSG and Spartacus) What kind of Claymore character She could play? As We can see Her in Spartacus... Perhaps Anastasia? (curly one) and from BSG... ?

Have a good day

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore is most similar to Norse/Viking 's Valkyries:

Lucy Lawless as Xena doesn't even compare to....

Kristanna Loken does the most excellent job as Brunhilde, in Dark Kingdom, a 2 part movie that was aired by the Sci-Fi channel, some years ago now, lol. If you watch it, wow, does Kristanna Loken portray a Claymore in her role as Brunhilde, hehe

you can see here:

1. Dark Kingdom 2 part movie information

2. Trailer 1

3. Trailer 2

4. Link to a youtube clip, along with many more clips on the side as well

5. Another youtube clip of Kristanna Loken as Brunhilde

-----------------------

Lucy Lawless...

Undine would be her role, lololol

if anyone's seen Underworld (first one) movie, is this turning out to be familiar?

Rimuto = Viktor

Miria = Selene

Raftela = Lucian's scientist guy who after getting captured by Selene tells viktor the bad news about Luciens rebellion against him, and viktor angrily kills him...

etc...
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; April 21, 2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonywars View Post
    Hello

Then appearance of characters. I put a link here:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_Wiki

It is a side dedicated to cycle of books written by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski about world of a Witcher. A warrior created by organization, which purpose is to fight against a monsters threaded to humans. His eyes changes to yellow when He uses a power implanted to Him by transformation process. I see in this similarity to Claymore behavior, and this Witchers also have forbidden to kill humans. And He for opposite use in fight Japan Katana Sword. I don't know maybe Yagi reads some of this books, and it gives Him inspiration to create similar characters? Of course He did it on His unique style, and here is once again question, is there is something similar to Japan or any others mythology?

My point is, that when We found sources of author inspirations, maybe We can better understand His work and maybe have some better predictions about ongoing and future events?

Maybe I wrote this with a lot of gaps and there is a lot of things to say and write, so I invite You to discussion

Have a good day

That is acturly a video game based on the book. The local bookstore ordered the first book for me, I'm going to go pick it up later. The witcher trilogy goes from.

1. The Last Wish (English and other languages)
    2. The Sword of Destiny (No English, Polish only I think)
    3. The Blood of Elves (English and other languages)

There is acturly very few viking or Norse based movies.

I watched Dark Kingdoms a few years ago on TV based on Wagner's "Ring" cycle. I thought it was was OK for a TV movie but a little bit too dull.

For more action pack viking movies, I like The 13th Warrior. It wasn't very historically correct but I liked it.

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    I too loved 13th Warrior, (a re-telling of Beowulf and I think based on Eaters of the Dead by Micheal Crighton), it was done really well, though as you said, obviously not historical, but it was very well done fantasy!

As for the closest movie match to a claymore, I think some scines from Red Sonja would be it. Especially when in the begining of the movie all the priestess warriors were fighting in the temple, they seem rather claymore like. Just ignore Arnold Schwarzenegger in it and it be even more claymore like hehe.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; April 22, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Khorr, thank You very much for Your post

Yes, You have right, that novel "Sword of Destiny" has not been translated in English language, and as can be read here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Miecz_przeznaczenia rather there will be no translation

Stories presented in this novel in time chronology are happened earlier than presented in "The Last Wish" and was created as kind of reminiscence and introduction to main novel. So even in Polish edition they are put aside from Witcher cycle.

But for now everybody are waiting for final release of second part of game, "Assassins of Kings", which if You want to see more about, I recommended to watch this video: http://gry.interia.pl/informacje/new...edzmin,1625528 but I am sorry, because it is from Polish presentation and there is no English version Thus You can judge how it will be look. Guy presents possibilities of fight, tree of skills, some monsters and spells with extra charge. And this game will be available in English language version and American ESRB organization rated it from 17 years old, You can see that in fight there is a lot of violence and extra finishers. Which for Me looks really cool

Have a nice reading and I hope, that others books from Witcher series will be translated to other languages soon

Have a nice day
    Last edited by colonywars; April 23, 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Norihiro Yagi stated, in one of his interviews, that when he first started Claymore I believe he claimed that he had allot of stress during the beginning of the series. But then he laughs and says that he wanted to get rid of the stress because he believes the stress would lash up his drawings & pace of the story. Says something about how he had more joy when drawing Angel Densetsu, but later says he also loves the world of his Claymore story.

He also say something about loving "horror" movies and likes playing "action-violence" video games. (so we probably should look into some games/movies that he may have liked before the Claymore series was created)

Here is the interview (links in Japanese):

If someone could translate these interviews (or find more interviews) and make a pinned thread for those translated interviews, I'd be most grateful.

10. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

WoW Asahina what a very interesting links

Especially 1 one and 3, when there a pictures of shelves with content of Yagi favorite things. On first one view of claymore sword replica, epic and books about Germans castles and Scottish history, on second picture games, movies and even music Yagi likes. My japan in reading is not so good to understood everything :/ But maybe Gernot will be so kind and provide some translation? I try to PM Him, maybe He will ?

Once again thank You very much for this links

Have a good day

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

It will be slightly off-topic (although still remotely connected to Claymore because of the similarities) but I was wondering if anyone here has played The Witcher and/or intends to play The Witcher 2 (or maybe is already playing it)? I'm asking since it has just come out. It's as close to a Claymore game as one can get without naming it Claymore and it's better than any Claymore game there is. About "The Witcher" saga colonywars has mentioned here (that's why I'm saying it's only semi off-topic).

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wickedsmile's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread

Hi Goral:

You and the gang at AS have me intrigued by this work. Been trying to find more information on the Witcher. So far, I gathered that a Polish writer initially made a series of short stories that have been converted to graphic novel format and from which games and other media have been created.

I don't think my desktop has the GPU to properly run this game but the short stories and graphic novels do interest me. Have you read the short stories or the graphic novels? Anyone better than the other? It has that Lord of the Rings feel to it (fantasy/midevil setting) <---took me two years to finish the book.

ws
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've read your question some time ago but didn't have time to respond. Unfortunately I read only one book and don't know that much about it (although I intend to change it in a near future). Anyway, first short story about the witcher was published in 1986 in a Polish magazine called "Fantastyka". You can read more about it in Wikipedia. I can't tell you which one is the best since I haven't read all books but one thing is certain - you would have to read it in chronological order to properly understand everything. I know "Last Wish" (Ostatnie życzenie) has been translated to English and you should start with that and next go for "Blood of Elves" ("Krew elfów"). You can always check Polish version of Wikipedia to know what's the right order to read them. Last Wish is a collection of short stories and it's not a novel per se but in order to better understand what's going on in Blood of Elves it's rather necessary. Colonywars would probably be able to help you better since he read all Wiedźmin saga.
    As for the games, the first one was great, one of the best action RPGs of all time and the second one is even better from what I hear. Here's one of the first reviews.

And here are some other links that might help you find what you would like to know:

18. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've read your question some time ago but didn't have time to respond. Unfortunately I read only one book and don't know that much about it (although I intend to change it in a near future). Anyway, first short story about the witcher was published in 1986 in a Polish magazine called "Fantastyka". You can read more about it in Wikipedia. I can't tell you which one is the best since I haven't read all books but one thing is certain - you would have to read it in chronological order to properly understand everything. I know "Last Wish" (Ostatnie życzenie) has been translated to English and you should start with that and next go for "Blood of Elves" ("Krew elfów"). You can always check Polish version of Wikipedia to know what's the right order to read them. Last Wish is a collection of short stories and it's not a novel per se but in order to better understand what's going on in Blood of Elves it's rather necessary. Colonywars would probably be able to help you better since he read all Wiedźmin saga.
    As for the games, the first one was great, one of the best action RPGs of all time and the second one is even better from what I hear. Here's one of the first reviews.

And here are some other links that might help you find what you would like to know:
    Hello

Goral, wickedsmile, thank You very much for Yours posts

First of all I did not read YET whole Witcher saga, lack of time and others fantasy, s-f novels that kept me busy, (and about Claymore I will not even mention here ) , but If You want to keep chronology, You should start reading from "Sword of Destiny" which unfortunately has not been translated (I hope yet) to English As I mentioned about in post 6th above this one. Stories contained there are happened early than in "Last Wish" but I personally start read from "Last Wish" and I did not feel after reading "Sword of Destiny" that it put something new into whole world and plots that have place in "Last Wish". Maybe except some historical introduction and explanation of past of secondary characters, which then take first role in "Last Wish" But without that knowledge You can read "LW" with any problems and story holes. I did not read "Blood of Elves" but I watched TV serial, that have some episodes based on that novel. TV series is far more better than movie. I'm also made now some subtitles to that serial in Polish language to my good friend, which is Hearing-impaired.

And about games, I played a while ago in first part on my cousins PC (my PC then was to weak for it), and it is very good RPG game. I liked very much battles and character evolution with whole secondary important characters, specific humor and bestiary. And I will buy soon, maybe in June a second part (I hope my new PC will be strong enough...) and after I will play in it, I will write some little recension of my own

Have a good day

20. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I know that this may be a little weird (or mentioned before), but I think Dragon Ball Z could have been another source of inspiration.

The ideas of -
    1) Youki Transformations = Buu-transformations, Cell-transformations, Freiza-transformations, etc.
    2) Concealing Youki Energy = Concealing "chi" or life energy
    3) Experimenting on humans to become weapons = the android saga
    4) Eye changes color when releasing youki = super saiyans changes to blue eyes
    5) Claymore Armour = Space Armour

All this can easily be related to idea of the DBZ series.

Quote Quote:
    In this, you can see the DBZ Armour in female saiyans.
    Spoiler show

But, if a female saiyan were to turn super saiyan, wouldn't it be a similar concept to the release of controlled awakened?
    Spoiler show
    The idea here is that if a female-saiyan was experimented by these MiB guys, and they use the blood of saiyans for these to improve the claymore warriors, do you think the female experimented-saiyans would have better control of their youki? Or would it be much more difficult?

Like would it be impossible to turn super-saiyan before turning into a awakened state first?
    Would looking at the full moon trigger their awakened state faster?

Does this topic deserve a thread of its own, or is it ok as it is...?

Moderator message by: HegemonKhan
    This thread works fine for this topic of yours, no need for another thread
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; September 12, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

22. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    Oh, and I know that this may be a little weird (or mentioned before), but I think Dragon Ball Z could have been another source of inspiration.

The ideas of -
    1) Youki Transformations = Buu-transformations, Cell-transformations, Freiza-transformations, etc.
    2) Concealing Youki Energy = Concealing "chi" or life energy
    3) Experimenting on humans to become weapons = the android saga
    4) Eye changes color when releasing youki = super saiyans changes to blue eyes
    5) Claymore Armour = Space Armour

All this can easily be related to idea of the DBZ series.
    While I agree with you on the basis that DZB made a large impact on manga/anime culture as a whole. I personally don't think I can credit so much to DBZ on each of the specific influance however. I think if we just look into our own very human history, culture, mythology and stories... we can find a lot of influances from there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    The idea here is that if a female-saiyan was experimented by these MiB guys, and they use the blood of saiyans for these to improve the claymore warriors, do you think the female experimented-saiyans would have better control of their youki? Or would it be much more difficult?

Like would it be impossible to turn super-saiyan before turning into a awakened state first?
    Would looking at the full moon trigger their awakened state faster?

Does this topic deserve a thread of its own, or is it ok as it is...?
    Ahh.... I woudn't even know how to answer that.
    Last edited by Khorr; September 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

24. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

remember what Riful explained to us in the Witches Maw:

1. the more powerful they become as Claymores/HA, the more powerful they'll be as Awakeneds

2. A Claymore that intentionally, consciously, purposefully, and etc Awakens, also becomes more powerful as an Awakened as well.

though this is kinda common sense: if you increase the base, the result of the multiplier will be greater.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

26. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore contains themes from various other anime and manga, from other literature and oral traditions. Although The Witcher is Yagi-samas most obvious source of inspiration for the Claymore-verse, the manga explores themes from the philosophy of Freidrich Nietzsche and the terms such as the Awakened Ones and the Abyss are also taken from Nietzsche.

28. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Influences on Claymore

Which non-animanga influences do you detect in Claymore?

The Witcher ought to be obvious but I can also see influences from Dune in Claymore, the prominence of female warriors, the spice agony/awakening etc. Both series feature a world in which the many perceive advanced technology in supernatural terms, and in which folkloric themes like shape shifting demons or monsters are rationalised in science-fiction terms. The inversion from Dune is that in CM most of the main characters, from lower social strata, are initially unaware of most of the high technology involved.

Grettir's Saga is also very similar to Claymore in its themes, and in the characterisation of the main character.

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~alvismal/11gretti.pdf

Anyone spot anything else?

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast