Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kenichi's mom?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenichi's mom?

I was going through the manga and every time I see kenichi's mom she strikes me as a strange character. In particular it strikes me as odd that she would be so tolerant about kenichi's training and the sheer faith she seemed to have in it. Is there a chance in hell there is actually more to her? Master class perhaps lol?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member daman246's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kenichi's mom?

doubt it cmon she seems like a mom that cares for her son u think a mother will let her child fight Yami knowing that he has a high chance of dying, if she was a master class she would train him herself or tryed to protect him when he was near death.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I always got the feeling that she'd end up being Ryouzanpaku level one day, but right now idk what that would actually contribute to the story or anything.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it is obviously hard to imagine what sort of part she could end up having in the story since that depends on the author but it is easy to imagine such a revelation being a plot point of sorts. Anyways, I am glad I am not the only one who noticed something a bit off here lol.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have always seen her as a very assured and dominant character, but whether this translates to actual fighting ability? Hmmm, I see two ways the author is building her for our interpretation:

1) She is just a powerful mother character (powerful as in personality) that is free with her children but strict on her husband. Merely there for potential of family relationships, moral support and comedy relief.

2) She actually is a martial artist. As it is, she often KO's her husband and has a personality almost relatable to some of those crazy masters. Heck, she even somewhat reminds me of Miu in some portions. Whether she's some crazy master, or maybe just an ex-fighter will be up to the author and where he wants to place her.

I honestly think it might just be #1, however #2 still has quite a good chance. You definitely weren't the only one kkck who thought something might be a little off, but I haven't seen anything yet which is so completely left field that provides a hint of her being a master.

Would love if someone can find some evidence though, even if requires a warped mind to bend into place.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Maledicente's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The most oddly thing about Kenichi's mom is the fact that she's way too hot for his old geezer of a dad.

Join the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and die out. Thank you for not breeding.
    Come to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Entende o que eu digo? Então vem pro tópico em português!

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She probably doesn't know the training / fights that Kenichi goes through. Remember the "father-goes-to-Ryouzanpaku" chapter? I don't see why it would be any different for mother.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we just had master level politician, I guess the master level housewife position is still vacant.

It could just be nothing. She could just be a typical calm wife who keeps her crazy husband in check, like Dexter's mom watches Dexter's dad or how Malcolm's mom watches Malcolm's dad. She goes away for a few days and he becomes crazy as shit and starts doing things even high school boys wouldn't do.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually think that Kenichi's mom is someone special. She might actually be one, but I believe she is just shown taking care of her husband as a comic relief that takes place in many mangas. Like for example Nami beats Luffy and Sanji in One Piece, even though she is way more weaker than them.

Even though I wouldn't mind if she really would be a Master. She might even teach Kenichi something.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt HSDK is that kind of manga where one of the parents or relative turns out to be a super-human. Its totally based on Kenichi, martial-arts and very much emphasizes on how its very important to keep training to be strong and get stronger. Its only possible if We are not observing or not being shown that she sneaks out everyday and trains her own.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member OcasoEterno04's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think kenichi's mom is someone special, however I think that in kenichi's family there migt be a master class fighter, it wouldnt surprise at all, after all matsuena never mentions kenichi's grandparents
    <b><font color=black>GO BIG</font></b>

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I would question to what extent not mentioning kenichi's grandparents implies anything lol. Anyways, what got me thinking about his mom was that she was strangely supportive of his son's initial training. What sort of mom would be supportive of his son "training" with the result being the kid getting home while barely being able to walk and having to help himself with a stick? His dad had the more cohorent approach to the whole thing (except when he wanted to use his girl named guns). His attitude was more along the lines the more coherent "O MOTHERFUCKING HELL NO" about kenichi's training. Its not like we have any reason to believe that his mom was aware of the true nature of kenichi's training either. As far as we know she only new kenichi was at a martial arts dojo and the result of the training was him being brutally beaten by a bunch of old dudes. At least stereotypically it would have been her who should have grabbed the big guns and saves her baby from the giants who thought babies had the same purpose as meat carcases in rocky. Instead not only she allows this to go on but also encourages it. Why in the world would any sane parent approve of the initial stages of kenichi's training? It actually included broken bones and near death experiences. The whole thing actually makes sense if she was somehow aware that kenichi was doing "actual" martial arts training instead of what most people are familiar with.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be at all be surprised if she was an super master class fighter in disguise for whatever reasons unknown. However, I do believe that she would stop Kenichi from training at Ryozanpaku if she knew the extent of the danger Kenichi is placed into on an daily basis, I mean how many times has Kenichi come close to dying? Who knows lol heck even training with Apachai is life threatening itself I must assume she is oblivious to Kenichi's situation.
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I would question to what extent not mentioning kenichi's grandparents implies anything lol. Anyways, what got me thinking about his mom was that she was strangely supportive of his son's initial training. What sort of mom would be supportive of his son "training" with the result being the kid getting home while barely being able to walk and having to help himself with a stick? His dad had the more cohorent approach to the whole thing (except when he wanted to use his girl named guns). His attitude was more along the lines the more coherent "O MOTHERFUCKING HELL NO" about kenichi's training. Its not like we have any reason to believe that his mom was aware of the true nature of kenichi's training either. As far as we know she only new kenichi was at a martial arts dojo and the result of the training was him being brutally beaten by a bunch of old dudes. At least stereotypically it would have been her who should have grabbed the big guns and saves her baby from the giants who thought babies had the same purpose as meat carcases in rocky. Instead not only she allows this to go on but also encourages it. Why in the world would any sane parent approve of the initial stages of kenichi's training? It actually included broken bones and near death experiences. The whole thing actually makes sense if she was somehow aware that kenichi was doing "actual" martial arts training instead of what most people are familiar with.
    Kenichi was pretty much a good for nothing coward before he started doing martial arts, he does it to get stronger and protect people and he is pretty happy about being able to help/protect others nothing odd about letting someone do something they love if they are willing to take the risks.His mom prolly just saw how much he values his training (well no the training itself but what he gets of it) and it looks like it is the first time he has ever cared as much for something like that so she just lets him go with it. In a sense it would be the same if u wanted to start boxing and while u do get hurt ur mom will prolly let u do it if u are serious about it and enjoin it.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I agreed that there maybe some martial artist bloodline in Kenichi's family.
    Maybe it because that her mom doesn't want him to enter the same world as her parent or something and she doesn't know that Kenichi fight with Yami.
    It recalls me of some mangas "Nijiiro Ramen" that main charactor doesn't know anything about noodle, but he take part in noodle's competition later and found that her dad is the King of Ramen or sth like that ^^"

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast