Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evangeline ( fun discovery )

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner wardudes's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Evangeline ( fun discovery )

From what I gathered in reading the manga it is placed in the year 2003 right ? Then has anybody observed that if what she said is true , that she lived in the 100 year war ( if she was born at the begining ) ,then she has exactly 666 years right now ?
    You're so ugly you can be a modern art masterpiece!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ceipheed's Avatar
    Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evangeline ( fun discovery )

lol? hahaha

useless fun fact? nice going there

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member bebuxe's Avatar
    mmmm.... i can't tell??? it seems that i see trees after trees with wavying grass and a few birds...
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: Evangeline ( fun discovery )

NO, SHE IS THE WOMAN THAT WILL RIDE THE BEAST BEARING THE NAME 666. WITHOUT THAT MARK NO ONE WILL BUY OR TRADE ANY MANGA AT ALL. SO YOU'LL BETTER WORSHIP YOUR GODDESS OF ADULTERY BECAUSE WITHOUT HER BLESSING, THERE'S NO MANGA.*

*lol, right?
    two ads this time

and visit http://hitana.deviantart.com/ , she has some inspiring pics. esp. "Yummy-75464373".

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

o,O

She just went from incredibly badass to... Well, she's still incredibly badass.

Must say she looks pretty good considering her age *loli
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

mmmm.... i can't tell??? it seems that i see trees after trees with wavying grass and a few birds...
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well of course, she is a vampy as well.*

*get the the pun?
    two ads this time

and visit http://hitana.deviantart.com/ , she has some inspiring pics. esp. "Yummy-75464373".

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ceipheed's Avatar
    Country
    Panama
    Post Thanks / Like

no need to tell me to worship her. I alrdy do. she is by far the best character in the whole manga <3

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha.

also according to her name's meaning (Evangeline), it means bringer of good news, or just news; IOW, bringer of a new gospel. The gospel of evil.

ATHANASIA, took some time, because the name does not exist. The closest i found was ATHANASIOS, which is greek, thus its a latin feminization pun. meaning "immortal".

and KATHERINE is just "KATHERINE". Pure if you can't look it up....

Macdowell, still dumbfounded about it though. "son of Dougal," maybe? maybe not? Oh wait Dougal! dark stranger. son (or daughter in this case) of the dark stranger.... Mmmmm, the Grave keeper?

So if you were to read in the classical manner to interpret the meaning (last names to first), it would say:
    Daughter of the dark stranger pure immortal bringer of (good) news.

And not, bringer of pure, immortal, and Daughter of the dark stranger news.

if it is according to the manga, then the bringer of the middle grey road.

evil right?
    Last edited by bebuxe; March 22, 2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: found more info
    two ads this time

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

She just raised from the level of awesome to godhood. Thanks bebuxe .

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha. thanks for the complement, but I thought it was old news after the name was revealed in the manga. I mean, to start the very fact that the students made fun of Negi-bouzu' s name and some other characters is a clear indication that the author intended the names to have meaning (unlike in fullmetal alchemist, well maybe 10 or 12 but not all). But she can't compare to the great mastermind of the century:

Please don't kill her server though, just one glance at a time.
    Spoiler show
    two ads this time

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I didn't stopped to look at what the name of the characters mean . But now taht you brought it up I'll start looking into them.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bebuxe View Post
    ATHANASIA, took some time, because the name does not exist. The closest i found was ATHANASIOS, which is greek, thus its a latin feminization pun. meaning "immortal".
    Actually the name Athanasia is correct, it does exist. It's a greek name, the feminine form of Athanasios (see also http://www.greek-names.info/athanasia/)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astraios View Post
    Actually the name Athanasia is correct, it does exist. It's a greek name, the feminine form of Athanasios (see also http://www.greek-names.info/athanasia/)
    Yeah, but remember names in greek do not deform by genders with the -a ending compares to -os. That's a Latin thing, plus, in Greek for gender bending a noun uses other endings. Its only after RE occupation of Greece, that this gender bending of nouns in names is made: -a's for female, -us or -os for male. I have not studied Greek, so I don't know if they did have noun gender transformation, but for certain I can say the -a endings for females comes from the Spartans* not Greece. I am pretty sure Greek uses another form of feminization of nouns, if they do, esp. for names.**

*sexist carnal savage clan.
    ** I may be wrong, I am willing to accept correction.
    two ads this time

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but remember names in greek do not deform by genders with the -a ending compares to -os. That's a Latin thing, plus, in Greek for gender bending a noun uses other endings. Its only after RE occupation of Greece, that this gender bending of nouns in names is made: -a's for female, -us or -os for male. I have not studied Greek, so I don't know if they did have noun gender transformation, but for certain I can say the -a endings for females comes from the Spartans* not Greece. I am pretty sure Greek uses another form of feminization of nouns, if they do, esp. for names.**

*sexist carnal savage clan.
    ** I may be wrong, I am willing to accept correction.
    Greek names change depending on gender, and are treated as nouns. Names for males end in -os or -is, while names for females end in -a, -i or -ia.
    There are few exceptions but most names follow these endings.
    Athanasios and Athanasia (Αθανάσιος / Αθανασία) is basically the same name, it just changes depending on gender. This name is used even today and is quite popular actually, it's not like a forgotten ancient name (I know some people that have that name).

I hope I'm not being rude, it's just that greek is my native language, so I'm quite sure about the grammar of the name.

Off-topic: If you are familiar with the manga/anime Sora No Otoshimono, you probably noticed that the author named a girl Ikaros (イカロス, Ikarosu), this is actually grammatically wrong. Since she is a girl the name should be Ikaria (this is the female/feminine form of the name, Ikaros is the male form).

PS: Sparta is a part of Greece, it's not separated, but every place had it's own rules & king/administration etc, however Sparta was more militarist than other places (for example compared to Athens). I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the -a (or -i, -ia) ending in feminine names originated from Sparta, every feminine name ends like that, it was like that from the beginning.
    Last edited by Astraios; March 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Macdowell, still dumbfounded about it though. "son of Dougal," maybe? maybe not? Oh wait Dougal! dark stranger. son (or daughter in this case) of the dark stranger.... Mmmmm, the Grave keeper?
    as extension of this...
    (although it's just speculation)

she might actually be related somehow.. (not necessarily by blood)
    Dynamis said something about ME being extension of his Master's technique (in ch306) which i suppose meant MotB... as he couldn't be refering to Eva - judging from context...

that would be connecting Eva and MotB on certain level... she had to get the idea somewhere...
    and after all... there was never said how long MW exists (or was it? my memory sucks) so I wouldn't be surprised if creation of MW was linked to Eva becoming shinso...

or is it too wild?

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deSolAxe View Post
    and after all... there was never said how long MW exists (or was it? my memory sucks) so I wouldn't be surprised if creation of MW was linked to Eva becoming shinso...

or is it too wild?
    Who knows it might just be what you said although not likely .

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast