Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Editing Challenges

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Editing Challenges

Here are some challenges to test your editing skills. After you've finished a challenge, if you wish it to be critiqued, you may make a new thread in the Quality Control & Critiques section. In the name of the thread you create, you can specify which of the challenges you used, though it is not necessary. For the thread prefix, you should choose: "Challenge Attempt".

This sticky itself is for discussing the challenges and coming up with new challenge ideas. Challenge attempts do not get posted in this sticky.

CLEANING CHALLENGES
    Spoiler: 5 Challenges show

TYPESETTING CHALLENGES
    Spoiler: 0 Challenges show

COMBINED CHALLENGES
    Spoiler: 2 Challenges show

This sticky was merged with the previous challenge discussion thread. The actual creation date of this sticky is April 16th, 2011.
    Last edited by DrPepperPro; June 01, 2011 at 01:39 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Challenge #01 - discussion thread

Discuss anything regarding the first cleaning challenge here!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted destinator's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Challenge #01 - discussion thread

Uhm how hard is this pageto clean (rate it from 1-10)? Also I would like to know something about the middle frame in the bottom of the page. There is some japanese text and erasing that isnt a problem but for a HQ would good cleaners now redraw everything there and put the texte afterwards over it or just leave it like it is after killing text and put the text simply over it?

Are we allowed to add text xD? (still we dont have a translaion...)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

that one doesnt look that tough except for the fact that the page is small so that makes the redrawing for the last middle panel kind of tough.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a cleaning challenge, des, so no, typesetting is not allowed :P
    As for the difficulty rating.. well the raw is rather good, the grey areas aren't that hard and there isn't much redrawing needed on it. Of course it all depends on the quality you are aiming to. As a Rusher I'd give it a 5.[br]Posted on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:48 PM_________________________________________________The size doesn't make much difference either, just zoom in (sure hope you know how O_O").

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In this case size does matter because even if you zoom in you still have the same amount of space to work with. I usually work with my own scans and they are usually 2000 height at the editing stage, so i guess 1100 is kind of small for me

Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehehehe, Fnuck ... you sure have chosen a nice picture for the first challenge!

This will really reveal the true essence of cleaning. One must be a good artist to redraw the Zorro picture in the 7th frame.

I think you could as well give the ones taking the challenge a hint, how much time does it take to a Rush cleaner to do such a page. I bet it would be interesting to everyone.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I already wanted to ask about the time thing too..I just started working on it and well I guess it will take a lot of time...

Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by des
    Yep I already wanted to ask about the time thing too..I just started working on it and well I guess it will take a lot of time...
    I'll just give you a hint.

When the RAW comes out there are many happy people and many busy people. MH staff and cleaners are the busy ones. We work for you to have a great time ... they work for you to have a High Quality scanlations.
    For MQ alone they work for 3 hours at least. To sum it all up, they work all the time from the moment RAW is released to the moment they publish their work. One person just can't make a regular HQ scanlation by himself as he would simply run out of time. 24/7 would not be enough.

That is why we value our scanlator groups so much. Underneath the weekly manga fix lies a lot of work.

But rather than reading this, I suggest you take a chance and at least try doing it (cleaning) yourselves.

Making people understand and appreciate the work of scanlators is one of the sideeffects we expect to get from this Academy.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Predator_U
    I'll just give you a hint.

When the RAW comes out there are many happy people and many busy people. MH staff and cleaners are the busy ones. We work for you to have a great time ... they work for you to have a High Quality scanlations.
    For MQ alone they work for 3 hours at least. To sum it all up, they work all the time from the moment RAW is released to the moment they publish their work. One person just can't make a regular HQ scanlation by himself as he would simply run out of time. 24/7 would not be enough.

That is why we value our scanlator groups so much. Underneath the weekly manga fix lies a lot of work.

But rather than reading this, I suggest you take a chance and at least try doing it (cleaning) yourselves.

Making people understand and appreciate the work of scanlators is one of the sideeffects we expect to get from this Academy.
    Uhm I just asked how long skilled cleaners need for a page like this...

The rest of what you said is nothing new to me...because I already made several scanlations(even most of them were just LQ's or MQ's but its still work)...And I've already learned a long time ago to appreciate the work of scanlators because usually the ratio of thank you postings to downloads is like 1:1000. I mean I could mention the last weeks chapter. Even with a LQ I had 4500 downloads but only like 5-6 people give me a "thank you". Thats why I have a lot of respect for all the scanlation groups and usually downloading/commenting all their stuff because thats what the people will keep up doing this for us...

edit: almost finished blacking everything now...

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeoShweaty
    In this case size does matter because even if you zoom in you still have the same amount of space to work with. I usually work with my own scans and they are usually 2000 height at the editing stage, so i guess 1100 is kind of small for me
    But it'll feel like you do =)

Oh and about the amount of time, it really does depend on what cleaner.
    Quite frankly the Zoro frame is actually the easiest part and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
    What would actually take a little while is removing all those SFX, although the only hard ones are for the middle frame and the middle bottom frame.
    Bottom line is, this page shouldn't take longer than 1-2 hours.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, lol

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i was just telling you what need to be done for future reference. However, you did miss blacking the bandana. shame on you.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I will give you my opinion once you're done and you can't tell me "oh I was already planning on doing that".
    Also, you don't have to remove the sfx, just saying why it'd take longer for us, Rushers.

Neo, about the dust, what's so weird about it? perhaps the raw page looks a bit weird cause I did some pre editing on it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You know how the dust usually looks like specks, right? well here it looks like it has a texture to it. It looks like it was run through s denoiser or something

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast