Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
On the other hand, maybe Itachi was concerned that fighting Jiraiya, even if he could win, would weaken him enough that Kisame could kill him and eliminate the threat to Akatsuki. Don't forget that Kisame's ultimate loyalties always were with Madara and that he was probably partnered with Itachi to keep an eye on him.
Possible reasons why Itachi didn't want to fight Jiraiya.
1. He's a sannin and therefore must not be underestimated even taking into consideration the strength of Itachi and Kisame. Itachi wants to be careful. He doesn't know what Jiraiya could dish out. Him performing Amaterasu shows how highly he respects the sannin's capability to have used a high-level, and rather, dangerous justu himself to guarantee their escape.
2. In the off chance that they collide, this might attract attention and reinforcements might arrive from Konoha. Take into account that Gai arrived shortly after Itachi and Kisame left. Itachi didn't want to attract that much attention considering Akatsuki was still not yet out in the open.
3. Itachi just used 2 MS techniques that day on top of the jutsus he used against Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma which may have been causing much strain on him. He's not in tip-top shape.
4. With Itachi as double-agent, I'm really am perplexed at how he acts as a watcher inside Akatsuki and still go with the flow regarding the aims and missions of the group.
5. His personal goal is still shrouded in mystery as far as I'm concerned despite the revelations we received in part 2. Part of which includes his goals for sasuke.
6. He didn't want to risk a fight against Jiraiya especially since Itachi himself confirmed that Sasuke was still weak that time. This is in line with his goals for both him and his brother and he didn't want to jeopardize. It seems also that he left, in order to leave a clear message to his brother to not let go of the goal to be an avenger. Keeping in mind the massacre that he committed yet leaving Sasuke alive, he didn't want to cause unnecessary complications or setbacks on Sasuke's chances of catching up and ultimately defeating him.
Having said that, after what has been shown in part 2, Jiraiya would lose to Itachi. IMO. However, this wouldn't be as easy as some others put it. Jiraiya is no slouch himself so I think this fight would be as pretty decent as when he took on the three bodies of pain. (Note: I said three bodies, not six) Itachi may not just be able to overwhelm him that easily. Jiraiya is still a tough contender such that, if Itachi, for just a moment, becomes too confident, he would exploit any chances no matter how slim in order to emerge victorious.
If memory serves me right, Itachi and Jiraiya were tied for strongest character in the last databook with equal stats of 35.5...
Last edited by Nicholas.Sama; July 03, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Could, may, it's not so far fetched... hypothetical interpretations on a character holding back is contradictory to your first argument, that prefers facts over character quotes but then somehow you prefer your own deductions to those quotes.Quote:
Last edited by Sevenheadedmirror; July 03, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
I'm tired of this Itachi claiming he can't beat Jiraiya... Actual japanese text:
K:あなたなら どうにかこうにかやれる相手でもわたしじゃあわかりませんよ。。。 次元が違う
K:ラーメン屋で やっと見付けたはいいが。。。 お守りが あの〝伝説の三人〟とは
彼が相手では〝木の葉のうちは一族〟も 〝霧の忍刀七人衆〟の名も かすんでしまう
Kisame's last words at least to me better translate as "That guy has a name (reputation) that exceeds both that of the "Uchiha clan" and the "Seven Swordsmen of the Mist" and NOT "That guy is a match for me and you".
In conclusion, neither Itachi nor Kisame ever said that any one of them could not beat Jiraiya; actually Kisame fleeing with his partner a few moments later stated that there was no point in retreating.
EDIT: Itachi first words also seem to be referring to their previous fight with the Konoha jonin (Kakashi, Asuma, Kurenai, Guy) as I translate them as:
"Yes... If we fought we would've probably both died. Or at best taken each other out (the two of them with the Konoha guys). Even if they didn't increase their numbers (? not sure about this one)"
Last edited by Shinomori Aoshi; July 03, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Itachis Tsukuyomi deals damage by inflicting massive mental pain to the point that it can kill someone if he wants to. So if he uses Tsukuyomi on a shadow clone and it then poofs, would the mental pain that that clone felt be transferred to the real body?
I updated my post, please have a look at it. (not that it changed anything dramatically)
Also, if njt or gottheim were in this conversation I would address them, but unfortunately we're stuck with who we are at the moment; if they show up, I hope they clear this - I won't try to reach them. So, if you know japanese yourself, look at the original and compare all the translations to see which is better. If you don't, I hope someone other does, so that he/she can validate or reject my translation. Although I believe that Itachi's words make more sense than the previous tranlsations and I'm pretty sure about Kisame. I will accept the opinion of a more experienced translator than myself or a native speaker.
I would also like to add to the people who take every sentence we've read from the manga as fact is if you can say the Itachi,Kisame, Jiraiya situation is 100% true then what about other situations that have been stated by the manga. Here i'll run through a few so called manga facts.
1. Sai being the strongest ninja of his generation lol. No one has said anything to go against this claim so we are to believe that shit.
2. Hanzo being a man who could never lose in a one on one fight when we've seen him be owned by Mifune. No panel stating otherwise.
3. Here http://www.narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/455/13 Naruto states Madara was so strong Minato couldn't do anything against him. Does this mean Minato<Madara? No panel stating otherwise as you don't count actual feats from flashback as proof.
I could go on and on with this but if you want to except the kisame-itachi words as fact then what i pointed above is also fact as well even though we've seen otherwise. I'm not saying everything the manga says isn't true but we should be able to think outside of whats written down in front of undeniable action.
Lets not forget that Minato said it himself...
It's funny, I remember when this contradiction was brought up a while ago; every person who mentioned it was labeled as a "Minato hater"/troll.
1. Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Shino, etc r less then the great sai. A ninja who was a candidate for Hokage put Sai on that high of a pedastool.
2. Ninja like Jiraya, Orochimaru,Itachi,the kages,etc r no match for Hanzo bc Jiraiya praised him even after his pitiful performance against Mifune.:
3. Minato can't beat Madara bc he stated so even though in a one on one confrontation he layed a rasengan on his ass, took away his control of kyubbi, and forced him to retreat.
I"m done with this argument as it's pointless for right now as Itachi wont see Jiraiya in this tournment anyway. Infact both will probally be knocked out in the next 2 rounds or so lol.
Even if we assumed Itachi believed that, that doesn't mean Jiraiya is stronger than Itachi.