Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Now I noticed that while most people love the story, you will always find a complaint about his art...

I am an avid anime/manga fan, but when comparing One Piece to anything the art is the last thing I usually think about... but could that be what people mean...

I do believe Oda is the best at variety of characters, he makes weird beautiful... and the backdrops are usually breathtaking... but when I talk about the chapters I guess the art just doesn't stick out...

I saw somebody say that Oda just makes squiggly lines look good, and saw another comment about now if only Oda knew how to do a decent stroke of the ink...

But I would like to see some examples of what people consider "Bad" art, in the one piece world...
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner zori's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

the reason people hate on oda's art is because their not considering the amount of time it would take to draw odas imagination to that of something more simplistic like bleach, not hating on bleach but look how slowly the story moves because of the "better art" i would rather oda know his priorities (the story) than draw better

x

3. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Shiki_Dance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I must agree with what deffkryz said above. You can't really compare Oda to other artists and say one or another is "good" vs. "bad." Art is, as always, extremely subjective and in the case of comic art, is designed in such a way as to aid the storytelling. It's not about whether the art is good, it's about style.

When it comes to the vast majority of manga art, I find it "meh." Not necessarily that I think the artists can't draw, just that it doesn't really suit my tastes. I enjoy One Piece a lot because it contains a significant departure from artistic formula. The lack of "bishie" types, the wild and crazy character designs, the uniqueness and originality that has improved over time all adds to that. But One Piece is a story where all that can work. This can't be said for all stories. Frankly, I'm not going to bother comparing Oda to another artist. It's not worth the effort. I will compare early Oda to current Oda, though.

I still find that the early chapters of OP bother me some because of the art. The lack of good backgrounds is part of this, though this has improved an immeasurable amount. Compare this to this... such a comparison feels almost unfair... To be honest it can be hard to find a landscape or "establishing shot" worth showing as an example from the East Blue saga. Perhaps another, more fair comparison would be the Little Garden forest and the forest of Upper Yard.

I also had a problem with the way the characters were drawn. The biggest offenders, in my opinion, being the proportions and the faces. Early on, it seemed there were essentially two body types. The first being long and spindly (even with Nami, before she had any curves to her), which now mostly is only retained with Sanji (and Kizaru and Aokiji, among others), but it's made up for in other areas such as greater detail and better foreshortening skill. The other type being huge chest and shoulders, small lower-half. OK, I know I'm exaggerating some, but it seems that limited compared to the variety now. With the faces it has a lot to do with more variation as well as improvement in drawing, especially with profiles. Try comparing this profile of Zoro (bottom right) to this one.

I think one of the biggest improvements has been in what I can only think to call "depth." Yes, there are fuller backgrounds and high amounts of detail crammed onto each page without it feeling too busy, but more what I mean by this is that the drawings themselves don't feel flat, as they did in early chapters. Compare this drawing of Hachi to this one. Without the style really changing much, he feels more detailed, fuller, more "3D" in a way.

I really enjoy the art, now. It draws me in, makes me look closer. It lacks the generic feel of other comics and is so detailed and yet doesn't feel too busy. The page layout has also improved in this regard. And the craziness of it is supported by Oda's boundless imagination.
    My crazy One Piece theory:
    Spoiler show

5. Thanks 11 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say everything that was already said, but I need to say that I completely agree.

Even more, I find Oda more fun to read than others mangas JUST because of the art.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i'am an avid manga reader and OP is for me the best in art and storyline

when i'm reading OP i feel this tingly feeling that is like this : "Damn i wish i could travel around the world like SH" and then i cringed my teeth in excitement and and Oda makes the whole OP world as his play ground in bleach you will just see KT,SS,and then Hueco Mundo thats it. and naruto is like for me it's big but its like they are in China they never left the Continent i think except in the movies

Oda draws the character so that we can remember them like when i saw momoo again after the time skip i just laugh and said to myself thats the sea creature that luffy and sanji toss around in bleach there are a lot of characters but 50% of them are from fillers and i don't even know their names and in naruto there are a lot of characters right now because of ET but after a brief explanation about the character they died in just 1-2 chapters they are not giving much of the hype when they are fighting orochimaru or other villain

and last but not the least Oda's art for me is Awesome!

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner krnbboyj's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

People think he's drawing is not that good compare to other mangaka.
    Like this girl, she told me that she doesn't read one piece because the drawing is
    not that good. She also told me that she doesn't read manga if she can draw better than
    the that mangaka.
    But still, I enjoy reading one piece
    I like how he creates different kinds of unique character in one piece.
    Also, his drawing skill got better compare to when he first started one piece
    So it's all good.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i believe that people who complain about OP's art actually just dislike the childish looks . its too caricaturistic for them and i totally understand that eventho i dont agree
    bleach is the extreme opposite of OP where coolness=power and good-looking=strong
    neither one of them is better or worse , its just a matter of taste

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i mostly love the art. but i must admit that i was irritated a bit when i read my first chapter, you have to get used to the fact that the design of some characters is maybe a bit to exaggerated. at the moment i'm especially talking about blackbeards crew. but well, blackbeard is a "extreme" character so his crew has to be a bit more freakish than others. so in my opinion oda goes too far sometimes, but that doesn't matter, it's his style and all in all it just suits. i love the story and his art all in all - but i'm surely not liking every single character he has drawn

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    i believe that people who complain about OP's art actually just dislike the childish looks . its too caricaturistic for them and i totally understand that eventho i dont agree
    bleach is the extreme opposite of OP where coolness=power and good-looking=strong
    neither one of them is better or worse , its just a matter of taste
    Bleach is worse. Some people have better taste than others. Otherwise, no one would ever listen to critics.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by undertoe View Post
    Bleach is worse. Some people have better taste than others. Otherwise, no one would ever listen to critics.
    lol okey .. if you say so ..

but aside from jokes , it doesnt matter who has a better taste than who . you like what you like and dislike what you dislike regardless of what critics say

IMO , one piece offers a much more colorful universe but bleach characters are much more solid and mature
    -better- and -worse- dont apply here , it depends on what you actually care

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to think the more realistic and detailed the better; One Piece finally made me see the point of cartoony art. I like the fact it doesn't look like he spent 5 hours shading people's lips that he could've spent the week designing an interesting world or drawing axe-crazy maniacs with too many legs instead.

For the first few volumes it was blatantly someone's first manga, but got far better around the time the Fishmen first turned up (probably because it killed the only-2-types-of-body thing). The art at the start doesn't really bother me, because no matter what was going on under the surface, like Arlong or Luffy's flashbacks, East Blue's supposed to be a bit dull and full of fodder marines and throwaway villains who wouldn't last 5 minutes elsewhere. It's almost like the art got better at the right speed for the story, like by the time they got to the Grand Line he was better at backgrounds and storms and monsters and people getting beaten to a pulp, and by the time they needed a new ship he was about 100x better at designing ships..

Also for some reason since I started reading One Piece, whenever someone smiles or starts freaking out in manga/anime/comics I've loved for years, it's started looking lame and wooden in comparison. Nuff said..
    Last edited by Ratatosk; March 29, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

As the OP said when it comes to story I do not argue about Oda.

Let me put it this way, his drawing style is one of the 2 reasons that I do not read one piece.

ps: bleach totally and utterly sucks when it comes to story, and when you compare it to One Piece in terms of story/plot it is utter thrash. However when it comes to the art of drawing Kubo just roflstomps One Piece or any other weekly shounen.

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

I got to say I love One Piece but when I started reading it I remember I thought to myself this art is weird because it didnt look like any other manga I had read to that point, the story was great but the art looked a little weird to me, but still I kept on reading then at some point it didnt look weird anymore.
    I think besides this being his personal style I think he didnt want his manga to look like the rest but I really think that his manga looks like this because it needs to look like this, otherwise it really would be a little out of place for one of those "better character designs" from bleach or naruto to do the things Luffy does.
    I think One Piece is PERFECT the way it is and Im really glad Oda decided to do it like this.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know people complained about oda's art. I agree in that it is on the cartoonish side but he is still quite awesome when it comes to drawing places... Just look at when SA, fishman island and the buttom of the sea were drawn. I would still argue the worst art of the big 3 is kishi though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ANBU4U's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people who complain about Oda's artwork never read the later volumes. Oda's art has improved almost immeasurably.

I always found his goofy, signature style, appropriate for the type of story One Piece was....so I really didn't slight the manga based on the artwork when I first started reading it ooo....6 years ago. But now, not only does it have that unique feel to it, but its also rather good from a technical standpoint.

No reasonable manga fan would really slight the manga for its artwork at this point, its well above average by most measures. And, certainly for a weekly shounen series.
    Last edited by ANBU4U; March 29, 2011 at 04:46 PM.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast