Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner zetruz's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Oda is a great artist. Yes, there are more stylish mangas (Bleach), but the brilliance of Oda's art is the level of detail. The small stuff. In that respect, Oda reminds me of Don Rosa, who's famous using a very detailed style when drawing Donald Duck.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH his art is not bad at all its just eccentric and i actually love it though it doesnt seem as good as other artist its actually still difficult to draw his characters. its very crateive and totally different from other mangakas making it unique in its own way thus due to it being unusual it is kind of discriminated, he's like the Da Vinci of manga. its also why it makes i so popular i mean the story is like "woah".

My friend, was like the art is weird (notice not bad) thats why i dont really like it i told her that true but it was what made it special and enjoyable i mean i always end up crying when the characters cry, when nami's backstory, chopper's, and pretty much all of the others Vivi's and her amazing goodbye (i really cried here i loved Vivi) , Hancock (whose not even a main ><), Aces death D=, recently Otohimes struggles and death they're all things i still remember and have touched my very soul, whereas in other mangas i barely remember side characters. The scenes are beautifully drawn imho ^^ Oda gives importance to his characters and that is what i love about op the development is like crazy cool.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

This art is a lot better now, but seeing this image I found at onepiecewikia you can see how it changed!

Spoiler show
    Last edited by ErosVp; June 25, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

5. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member thatwouldbeawesome's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised this thread hasn't closed. Oda is great, look at the pageviews :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda's art is beautiful! not sure why anyone would say it's bad.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zori View Post
    the reason people hate on oda's art is because their not considering the amount of time it would take to draw odas imagination to that of something more simplistic like bleach, not hating on bleach but look how slowly the story moves because of the "better art" i would rather oda know his priorities (the story) than draw better

x
    The story of One Piece feels pretty slow to me, especially the current arc. Oda puts alot of dialogue in chapters, thats why they feel longer. I don't think Bleach's art style has anything to do with pacing....

People hate Oda's art because some of the characters look UGLY AS SIN. And the way he draws certain emotions too, like when Luffy was crying after Ace got killed. It makes it hard to take some scenes seriously. This is how Oda prefers to draw his characters though, so whatevs. And I agree that his art has improved.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Art by definition is a subjective evaluation of aesthetics which are different from person to person, and to a larger extent from one social group to another. Just as a contrasting example, how in some culture "beautiful" for women is commonly seen is slim/athletic while in other cultures it means excess weight (sign of wealth, etc.). Chopper made the mistake of misjudging the people on the island he spent his time-skip on based on looks too... but I'm starting to go off-topic .

Oda's art is its own unique style where he tends to use simpler shapes, contrasting bright colors, exaggerated proportions, etc. Just like any other person's art, some people will think it's aesthetically pleasing while others wont. Just look at Picasso's art. At least we can tell Luffy apart from Zori . Even though there's a general standard for manga that basically is an informal list of common ways manga authors draw, like the big eyes for beauty, and the popping veins as a sign of anger/frustration, even among manga artists there's plenty of unique styles. For example, I always wondered why most of the characters in XXX Holic and Nabari no Ou seemed overly anorexic... that was just the style used by those artists.

Some people will naturally tend to be turned off by some art styles, and sometimes because of the effect of aesthetics on people, they may chose to avoid a manga or anime simply based on their aesthetic dislike of it. Its very common (seen from tests done with kids) that even from a very young age, people tend to want to spend more time with things/people that they consider aesthetically pleasing and avoid those they don't like aesthetically. But it's a shame to see that a story like One Piece, which is worth plenty even as a novel, is ignored by some people simply based on its art style.
    Maybe One Piece will be a live action TV series later on .

Anyways, that's just my opinion based on what I know and how I see things.... so if I mis-stated anythings I hope someone will correct me so I can learn too .
    Last edited by Anduren; August 12, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why people are comparing serious fighting manga to a comedy action manga. Different artists or mangakas have different tastes and styles.

If you look at Bleach, the people are mainly focused on how their shikai and bankai look. Their regular mode is pretty much the same for all the characters, with the exception of ichigo. Basically Bleach is more a serious manga that depends on looks. If you look at the background and the scenery are mostly circles or things that can be drawn with a straightedge. The location of where everything occurs is located in three places, soul society, karukaru town(i don't know the spelling), and the hollow place(i don't know its spelling either)

One Piece has characters that are more simplistic. The characters have a lot of diversity between them. You don't see much characters in the manga that have the same fighting techniques, weapons, or abilities, with the exception of grunts. In one piece the scenery is constantly changing.

I think the art perfectly fits the story Oda is trying to write.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Imo, Bleach is no more serious than One Piece overall, it just has less comedic scenes, which helps to keep the mood alive on all times for the later one. As both are obviously action adventure shounen manga, trying to please kids with supernatural powers, Bleach taking the brutal way, while OP also takes the fantasy/comedy route. It's just that Tide uses less shades and more blandness to represent his title "Bleach" as a theme for the manga, lending the feeling of seriousness as an product for adults, which is simply his art style.

sry a bit to off-topic
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 28, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno, I always thought being unafraid to make the characters look ugly means the drawing style is really good at showing emotions. Up until Ace's death the ridiculous crying thing was only used for comedy overreactions.. when people were crying for real (like after Luffy vs Usopp fight or at Saboudy) it was more understated. After Ace's death was kind of hard to look at but it was supposed to be. The anime turning it up to 11 then repeating it every episode was too much though!

Also does people smiling, or genuinely pissed-off glaring, far better than any manga I have seen (especially Bleach/Naruto).
    And the coloured pages are actually done well, which is rare for even the manga where people rave about the art (like Berserk where you'd get a volume of beautifully rendered black & white drawings with something on the cover that looks like strange-coloured plasticene).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw does anyone show emotion when they are angry in Naruto? In One piece there are huge mood swings constantly...

Luffy is a carefree airhead :P Zolo and Sanji and always trying to pick fights with each other. Nami is usually trying to keep Zolo and Sanji cooled down. Chopper is carefree like Luffy. Ussop is lying and tries to impress Chopper during peacefully days. Robin is calm and collected. Brooks is making the crew more lively. Franky is just Super.

I haven't found a manga where the main characters have this type of atomsphere. :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why some people dislike One Piece art... It's absolutely amazing!
    Granted I like the art of Bleach as well, but you can't love it... Bleach is cool and awesome, but I can't love it like I absolutely love the art of One Piece.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kulugo's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing wrong with his art. and he makes really good landscapes.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he could do better, his style is his style, there's no right style in manga. Now personally I don't really dig his art that much, but that's just me.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem with Oda's art.The way he can put so much in a panel and still put his point across makes him far better than Kubo long before we even consider the much greater quality of storytelling that is One Piece.I mean bleach panels are usually mostly empty or full of unnecessary poses.A lot of characters even look the same...that IMO is the definition of bad art.OP on the other hand doesn't have that problem.All characters are distinct and the backgrounds are amazing....the greatest detail i've seen on a bleach panel was a bowl of ramen...yes a frickin ramen bowl
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

New Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast