Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodai Senkan Mora View Post
    I have never had a problem with Oda's art.The way he can put so much in a panel and still put his point across makes him far better than Kubo long before we even consider the much greater quality of storytelling that is One Piece.I mean bleach panels are usually mostly empty or full of unnecessary poses.A lot of characters even look the same...that IMO is the definition of bad art.OP on the other hand doesn't have that problem.All characters are distinct and the backgrounds are amazing....the greatest detail i've seen on a bleach panel was a bowl of ramen...yes a frickin ramen bowl
    If an artist were to put so much into a panel and still not get their point across...then there's a problem. Aside from some double spreads, the backgrounds are okay at best tbh; if you're only speaking in terms of detail rather than style. I mean they're there at least...which I guess is "amazing" compared to Bleach's nothingness.

Never had a problem with Bleach's character designs, the faces are pretty distinct without going into wacky designs, and their overall looks are easily distinguishable from one another. Now several faces may be of a similar style..(bishonen), it is perfectly normal and can be found in a majority of manga. You are clearly exaggerating the extent of the problem, the amount of recycled faces is not even close to that of Claymore for one, and I doubt many people would say Claymore has bad art.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tengou's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason why I think Oda is a better artist than Kubo lies in the quantity of art, and not necessarily the quality. True, Kubo is awesome at drawing his facial structures and body shapes; every both of them. Now I don't want to sound snide or cynical, but if you draw the same face and body a zillion times, with different color palettes and occasional minor changes, it's only natural you get good at it, and your images become eminently detailed at least when characters are involved. And I will admit that in the panels where more than just a character's mouth or eyes are visible, Kubo is brilliant at conveying the quality of 'motion' inherent in a scene.

Oda on the other hand, is the dopey freelance hippie artist to Kubo's tired newspaper columnist churning out his weekly comic. Bruce Lee may have said 'I do not fear the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once, but I fear the man who practiced one kick ten thousand times', but I think that in art, the inverse rings true. I can't really applaud the man who draws one thing ten thousand times, but I do applaud the man who draws ten thousand things once. And through that boundless variation and imagination, Oda's overall skill has improved tremendously over the years that One Piece has endured as my favorite manga and anime.

What's more, I love the little side tidbits Oda puts in his work. Not just a few random half-traced omakes at the end of every bundled volume, but title pages that show sights of the world, revisit old characters, give an insight into the daily lives of the people that live inside that world. Things like Hacchi's underwater journey and CP9's Independent Report, and the recent 'From the Decks of the World'. Those are the little things that help make a world full of caricatures like One Piece much more vibrant and realistic and alive than most realistically drawn manga out there. These things lend context to Oda's art, and define its quality. In the same regard, mangas like Bleach fall so flat on this particular aspect it's not even funny. The Thirteen Court Guardian Squads in Soul Society, Las Noches in Hueco Mundo, and Fake Karakura Town, these settings are nothing more than big old sandboxes full of destructible objects for the characters to reduce to rubble in the coolest of ways. Of course, a lot of manga and anime employ a lot of destructo-scenery, but in Bleach, the art actually makes these things look like they have no purpose whatsoever besides being destroyed. So yeah, make of that what you will... I think Oda is a fantastic artist and always will be.
    Last edited by Tengou; September 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

3. Like 6 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

And every bit of that is entirely valid. What's tiring is the way people tend to blow things out of proportion in their appraisals and dismissals. It's hard not to sound cynical sometimes when if something is considered inferior then suddenly positives are dismissed as trivial while negative aspects are all cardinal sins. Especially for something like art in which different things work for different people. Just a general rant, since although one is perfectly entitled to subjectively assign merits to any preferred elements, it's important to try and be objective with the things that doesn't please you.
    Last edited by Bromamura; September 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

"You are right, but..." The problem mentioned at the beginning was that people should write about Oda only, without interference of other Mangaka and their works. They would need their own threads, e.g. you could compare the big change from Zombie Powder, the beginning of Bleach to it's current state. While his stylized art has it's benefits, it has some downsides too as brought up by Tengou. You did hint on that it wasn't hard to be better than "nothing", just be straightforward with your opinion, if you prefer style over detail just say so. Not to mention that OPs style is one of the most distinct ones, due to it's wackiness. Trying to defend Bleach bishis because other manga have them also[using a certain charactertype to gain more of a certain fanbase] wasn't very convincing too. The versions from the beginning[till SS arc] were more distinct Imo.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PAWERFULL's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is wrong, he just have his own style in doing his art.
    If i offended you, too bad.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member junjun2's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you think about this art?

Oda drew a picture of a DVD jacket.
    It's quite rare for Oda to draw picture except ONE PIECE.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...-movi.view-000
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...0001-flix-movi

edit:additional pics
    http://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/show...image_id/93406
    Last edited by junjun2; September 18, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of hard to relate those to his usual style in OP, but the last ones remind one the admirals, whom he based on real movie stars too.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

no idea what that's for (old samurai show? the guy with the scar looks hilarious), but he is a really good cartoonist.

That admirals thing is getting distracting now though, there was literally a movie poster in Gintama based on the actor who was the inspiration for Akainu, and I recognised him, filtered through 2 different people's art styles. Really should watch those yakuza films...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think he could do better... about his size inconsistency.

Really, I love his arts but his constant work of size incosistency throughout the manga is just too blatant to ignore. And I just wished he could do better with some of the character designs... the neptune brothers for example.
    Last edited by Kukriblades; December 02, 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member S-H-I-G-U-R-E's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kukriblades View Post
    I really think he could do better... about his size inconsistency.

Really, I love his arts but his constant work of size incosistency throughout the manga is just too blatant to ignore. And I just wished he could do better with some of the character designs... the neptune brothers for example.
    Guess you never read Hokuto no Ken then :P

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

With gigantism there are no inconsistencies any more, some people are just big, some are normal. And other mistakes are easily corrected in the SBS.^^
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The art for one piece reminds me of say dragonball, where designs aren't super complex or detailed all the time, but its fitting for the story. We're also talking about comics here, so less is often more. besides, the story is strong, and the art is in no way bad. I love a lot of the main character's designs, and there's a lot of originality and character put into each one.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member okaneman's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

oda's art of human (only) structure is somehow not logic.. we can see nami's waist, and i bet her would be less than 20?? oda need to power up the chicks art though... others are ok for it's his art style...

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

First we need to differentiate between his art and drawing. Most art discussions only take drawing into account and ignore other equally important aspects of art. Lay out, flow, perspective, focal point, and contrast are equally important to the way characters and backgrounds are drawn. Oda is among the best at those design aspects: his use of exaggerated perspectives, contrast between inking, white, and tone, use of inking as focal point, and panel to panel flow are beyond reproach. He is one of the best in the industry.

His drawings do not strive for realism or detail, that is not his style. To consider realism and detail an essential of good art would be a fallacy, ignoring centuries of art history. Instead Oda's character design aspires to fit the major themes of the story: humorous individualism. His art style is as influenced by Hanna-Barbera as Toriyama and Tezuka. Davey Back fight may as well have been a tribute to the Wacky Race cartoons of the late 1960's. Some manga fans mistakenly believe that art needs to look like Air Gear or Fairy Tail to be good. Series that do not aspire to be easy on the eyes, such as One Piece, are often rejected as bad art. That would be incorrect, to narrow a definition of what makes art good. Pretty does not mean art is good, ugly does not mean art is bad.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

17. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Bulba's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

19-pages a week is hard. 19 good pages a week is nearly impossible.

I'm an art student. A bad one at this point... but even someone as early in their career as me can appreciate exactly what comic artists have to go through. I actually think Oda is doing more favors for the medium than a lot of the "more manga looking" series out there.

I find the people who probably have never even heard of a G-pen or the subject of perspective and are ready to criticize pretty funny. The people who do all that and then read it entirely for free also are even funnier.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast