Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Your prediction about Rebecca

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • She will get Ace's fruit and join the crew.

13 48.15%
  • She will NOT get Ace's fruit, but will join the crew.

2 7.41%
  • She will get Ace's fruit, but NOT join the crew.

4 14.81%
  • She will NOT get Ace's fruit and will NOT join the crew.

8 29.63%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebecca theories and ideas

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca theories and ideas

I've seen all sorts of ideas and discussion about Rebecca, so perhaps you could all post and discuss them here.

Anyway... we don't really have much info on her to go off of, but that's never stopped anyone from throwing out ideas before!

So, is Rebecca strong enough to get far in the tourney? Is she actually pretty weak, and easily bullied? Is she going to get Ace's fruit? Will she be a Strawhat? Is she based off some other person or character?

(Personally, I wouldn't mind her being Vivi in disguise, since it would be nice to have her with the crew again. But it's just wishful thinking of course )

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rebecca theories and ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    I've seen all sorts of ideas and discussion about Rebecca, so perhaps you could all post and discuss them here.

Anyway... we don't really have much info on her to go off of, but that's never stopped anyone from throwing out ideas before!

So, is Rebecca strong enough to get far in the tourney? Is she actually pretty weak, and easily bullied? Is she going to get Ace's fruit? Will she be a Strawhat? Is she based off some other person or character?

(Personally, I wouldn't mind her being Vivi in disguise, since it would be nice to have her with the crew again. But it's just wishful thinking of course )
    She can't be Vivi. She's preparing to head to the Reverie and meet Shirahoshi.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    She can't be Vivi. She's preparing to head to the Reverie and meet Shirahoshi.
    Absolutely right, hence why I said it was just a wish

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Could have used the other thread for it. People open new threads too easy these days.

I think she's not especially strong. I think her significance has more to do with the events which will happen after the tournament ends.
    Good point, but the existing threads were very specific. Plus, the bulk of the discussion I've seen is in the chapter discussion threads. And I figured the mods would merge the threads at some point.

---

But yes, Rebecca doesn't seem all that strong. Maybe around the same level as Tashigi? It would be nice to see a girl in the series who is more formidable, though. So maybe she'll surprise us.

From the looks of it (wanting to take down Doflamingo) she'll be an ally of the Strawhats. But I don't think she'll be a new crew member. If she was going to be, Luffy probably would've instantly said, "join my crew!"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we might be underestimate her strenght.
    Since she is an undefeated gladiator and (maybe wrongly) we are a lot to think that she will beat Cavendish (260M bounty), is think she might use some skills as soru or pure strenght. Oda showed us that there are some really strong nice looking girls in this world.
    Plus I would say that we are in the new world and nice fighters from the New World have gathered here, so she is not weak at all.
    Shey may be really usefull with the fruit in my mind :P

Edit : Cyrs I think each Nakama will have his own asking, if you see what I mean. She will may be asked later !
    Last edited by Sproumfch; April 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

@Sproumfch But it seems like the top gladiators aren't on the same level as the New World fighters that have gathered specifically to get Ace's fruit. For example, Spartan was taken out in one shot by Luffy. If Rebecca's supposed to be close to the same level as Spartan, I don't think she'll get very far...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that in pure strenght she is nothing comparable to Luffy Zoro or Sanji (and this is quite sure or she won't be here), but she may have a lot of skills with gladiator's weapons, like sword.
    Like the figthing female of the crew :P
    I'm highly in that, but she may end as a Vivi-like :O

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sproumfch View Post
    Maybe that in pure strenght she is nothing comparable to Luffy Zoro or Sanji (and this is quite sure or she won't be here), but she may have a lot of skills with gladiator's weapons, like sword.
    Like the figthing female of the crew :P
    I'm highly in that, but she may end as a Vivi-like :O
    It would be cool if she used a variety of weapons, sort-of like Erza from Fairy Tail. But I only saw Rebecca carrying a sword. Maybe she has special armor? (Regardless, I think we can expect her to use haki.)

But I also wonder... why did she think she could stand up to Doflamingo once she has Ace's fruit? Shouldn't she know that a logia fruit won't protect her against his attacks? For example, Smoker was beaten to a pulp. If she's an experienced gladiator, she ought to have a pretty good idea of Doflamingo's strength. Is there some other reason she needs a fire ability?

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, but the existing threads were very specific. Plus, the bulk of the discussion I've seen is in the chapter discussion threads. And I figured the mods would merge the threads at some point.
    Administrator message by: Kaiten
    Mangahelpers policy is to not merge threads unless the topic is identical almost to the word. Mega convos are always a mess, one topic per thread is preferable. More threads mean more conversations, conversation is what we are here for in the first place. Single series subforums are created for the sole purpose of allowing threads like this. If someone does not like a topic, they are not obligated to post. They are obligated though to keep any displeasure to themselves. Discouraging other members from expressing themselves will be treated as a serious disciplinary issue.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Kaiten.
    ---

I expect Rebecca's role in this arc to be similar to Kinemon's in Punk Hazard, or Shirahoshi's in Fishman Island. Essentially, she's the character in the arc who is up against a problem. They need help, and the Strawhats end up saving the day.

This is generally the pattern of each arc in One Piece, and in the beginning of the series, these types of characters ended up becoming part of the crew. But Brook was the last character to become a member of the Strawhats. So I think that from now on, characters who follow this pattern will end up as close allies to the Strawhats, but not become an actual crew member.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That I agree with. There is a character who serves that role on every island, going all the way back to Coby. The Strawhats always befriend a local who holds a grudge against the arc villain. Helping Rebecca will pave the way for the Strawhats to befriend whomever replaces Doflamingo as King of Dressrosa.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I forgot: There have been a few other exceptions to the "character-in-distress" becoming a crew member. Like you mentioned, Coby; although Zoro was also in need of help, and joined the crew. Also, in neither Jaya nor Skypaeia did someone join the crew. And no one joined in Shabondy. Fishman Island with Jinbei is still undecided.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this arc is going to feature Rebecca's back story.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To the one asking why Rebecca thinks she needs the Flame Flame fruit, Doflamingo is a really powerful pirate. If you were planning to take him down, wouldn't you want ever bit of power you could get your hands on?

Anyway, it looks like Oda is deliberately keeping her story a secret until the right moment. She hasn't been seen since her first appearance. Lack of appearance and mysterious past scream something big to me.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I forgot: There have been a few other exceptions to the "character-in-distress" becoming a crew member. Like you mentioned, Coby; although Zoro was also in need of help, and joined the crew. Also, in neither Jaya nor Skypaeia did someone join the crew. And no one joined in Shabondy. Fishman Island with Jinbei is still undecided.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this arc is going to feature Rebecca's back story.
    i think Jinbei will become allies pirate crew then crew member. in new world to become friend (help u in war/fight etc) u dont have to become crew member u can help by becoming allies pirate crew as in new world ur total power is ur crew + allies pirate crew

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i have no idea if she will get the fruit or not

but if you look at the motives or goals of all of the participants we have been introduced too

cavendish (cabbage) wants to kill the 11 supernova's
    bellamy wants to increase his standing in the DF family
    we assume burgess of the blackbeard pirates just wants the fruit to even further increase their crew's power

and so on

rebbecca has the best goal, and the most relevant goal to the story arc and i dont think oda made that so just for shits and giggles
    so.....i think she may very well get the fruit, but even if she doesnt, she will be more relevant to the current arc, and maybe even beyond that

than most of the other participants that have been introduced

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Administrator message by: Kaiten
    Mangahelpers policy is to not merge threads unless the topic is identical almost to the word. Mega convos are always a mess, one topic per thread is preferable. More threads mean more conversations, conversation is what we are here for in the first place. Single series subforums are created for the sole purpose of allowing threads like this. If someone does not like a topic, they are not obligated to post. They are obligated though to keep any displeasure to themselves. Discouraging other members from expressing themselves will be treated as a serious disciplinary issue.
    i like the idea of keeping some posts from threads that are closed , and i feel sometimes those posts should be merged into other active threads so that the conversations dont get interruped or stopped all together

but i agree with not merging entire threads, usually the thread starter is specific and unique enough that its not exactly like another thread, even if similar

however sometimes i am too lazy to use the search feature, and if i create a thread that is almost identical to another thread, i would not be upset about it being merged, so long as someone tells me they merged it

but as far as the MangaHelpers staff's stance on discouraging other posters from expressing themsleves

i agree 100%, this is a community for fans of manga and anime, we will all have different opinions and ideas
    anyone who would bully or try to pressure another poster into not expressing themselves should be dealt with

the world would be very boring if we all agreed on everything, and if someone disagrees or posts something you dont like, you should behave like an adult and disagree respectfully with your own opinion
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; April 24, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca would be a good candidate to get it as she will obviously be at minimum a friend. Until we see a special skill or a reason to go out to sea for her dream it is a toss up. The more hillarious version, would be Luffy winning in the final round against Cavendish and to add insult to injury (not in Luffy's mind) give the DF to Cavendish for ruining his rep and forcing Canvendish to owe him. Kind of like Buggy.

24. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast