Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

    200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

    38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

    16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

    20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

    7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 131

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

  1. #16
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    IMO , one piece offers a much more colorful universe but bleach characters are much more solid and mature
    -better- and -worse- dont apply here , it depends on what you actually care
    Really? More solid? Mature? Are we talking about the same Bleach?
    Not even the story is more solid or mature (If you think about it, freedom IS probably the center of both stories focused in two different ways: One is more emo and the other just tries to smiles about it. That doesn't mean one is more mature. I find Ichigo QUITE less mature than most characters in One Piece excluding of course Luffy which has shown already deeper emotions than just being awesome)
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  2. #17
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantinopolis
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by LordUriel View Post
    Really? More solid? Mature? Are we talking about the same Bleach?
    Not even the story is more solid or mature (If you think about it, freedom IS probably the center of both stories focused in two different ways: One is more emo and the other just tries to smiles about it. That doesn't mean one is more mature. I find Ichigo QUITE less mature than most characters in One Piece excluding of course Luffy which has shown already deeper emotions than just being awesome)
    the topic is art , not the story
    character designs are more solid and mature
    and "IMO" stands there for a reason , your opinion may be different
    Last edited by shinsengumi; March 29, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

  3. #18
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Bleach art is not more mature. Its art AIMS at more mature audience, while One Piece art takes a more cartoonish approach. This doesn't make One Piece art less mature or less solid. If you look at Oda's way of visualizing facial expressions and "camera" angles, you realize how mature, creative, and masterful his drawings are while still not breaching beyond the context and the style he has established within One Piece - which is supposed to carry a childish and cartoonish feel.

    Bleach art can easily get lost in the generic and conventional manga art section (this does not mean to say that there's nothing unique about Bleach art), but certain moments in One Piece can easily seperate its art out of the rest.

    2 instances where Oda's genius still stuck deep within me is Buggy's face in Impel Down when Luffy completely forgot about Buggy's special cannon ball, and Buggy's face when Mihawk deflects his cannon ball back to Buggy's face.
    Check Out My Music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n48pStnecmw
    My Predictions:
    Big Mom gonna have the plague plague fruit or plant plant fruit

    Kaido gonna have nuke nuke fruit

  4. #19
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    the topic is art , not the story
    character designs are more solid and mature
    and "IMO" stands there for a reason , your opinion may be different
    Worst then. But I'll give you a chance a define what is for you both terms. And even compare with pics if you want to really prove your point.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  5. #20
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Sup. I don't know why people bash Oda's art. Every mangaka has a world they are trying to build and the characters need to fit into that world. I get so pissed when people try and compare Naruto and Goku to Luffy and it's like, those are all characters from three different artists.

    Lames on mangafox, sorry for jumping ship.

    Anyway a mangaka creates a world and the art lays the groundwork for that world. Because ideally, each writer will have a different story to tell then their art should be different. I like Oda's style because it embraces imagination while maintaining a certain element of realism. The characters do have exagerrated expressions but the entire One Piece world is exagerrated and that's what makes it attrative.

    It's a pirate fantasy story that doesn't try to fit in a box with a lot of the other stuff out here.

  6. #21
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London Below
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    I used to really like Bleach art, even bought a lot of them, but it looks a bit empty once you stop caring about the story, and between them the decline of Bleach and D. Gray-Man put me off manga that were full of interchangeable people pouting. But One Piece is such a big world with such a wide range of possibilities for characters/places that it's unfair to compare.
    The only thing I've read that comes close in hugeness are China Mieville's books.. which are completely different kinds of stories, but I'd love to think those guys were reading each others work .

    A One Piece/ Toriko crossover chapter just turned up that kinda adds to this discussion, with the contrast between art styles. 2 pages really show it... I've never read any Toriko, so don't really have any right to slag it off particularly as it looked like they both had fun drawing it, but One Piece wins.
    Last edited by Ratatosk; March 31, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

  7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  8. #22
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tamotsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Japan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    oda is a good artist. but he no use komputer. if he use komputer to draw. he make good photo.
    you hoorny?

  9. #23
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantinopolis
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by deffkryz View Post
    No they're not, and it's utter nonsense to start discussing or even criticising the art by saying others are "more solid" or "mature" without even defining what you mean by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUriel View Post
    Worst then. But I'll give you a chance a define what is for you both terms. And even compare with pics if you want to really prove your point.
    you people are disrespectful and you lack understanding whats written in front of you . my final attempt in trying to explain what i really said

    Spoiler: quote from my previous posts show


    my whole point was ;
    "art is a matter of taste . there isnt -better art- or -worse art- . there is only -to my liking- or -not to my liking-

    i find OP more colorful and bleach more solid in designs . this is only my opinion . FOR MY TASTE that is . im not suggesting it as a fact , im not discussing or criticising or comparing them . i dont have to or need to prove you why i think this way or why i feel this way because i cant prove you my tastes now can i ?

    thats the whole idea anyway ! SUBJECTIVITY ! stop trying to bash my point of view and just describe yours

  10. #24
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Talking about "solid", "mature" and "design" is not subjective speech. Bad choice of words then.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  11. #25
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Let's try to tone down the rhetoric. Please use this thread with a focus on only Oda's art. Please don't bash any other manga to support a position. It's not needed and only serves to start flame wars.

  12. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #26
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Thank you Tsukisama...

    I find myself agreeing with the post that mention the expansive world Oda creates... I can confidently say Oda has tread waters no other has tread before... Oda's world not only goes through every single type of realistic enviorment, but it also transcends time and even space... Islands with inexplicable phenoms like riding a geyser to the sky, or raining lightning, or invisible ground(Apoo's crew)... just things that make you go hmm...

    Oda's art actually makes you feel like your there watching it firsthand, like you could look around and see the building and land formations...

    Even when the art was more Two-Dimensional as some have pointed out, and which I agree with, but even when Oda's drawing wasn't as in depth, I knew every piece of every island in the east blue saga... and Oda didn't have to spend agonizing chapters to explain the layout or do numerous panel shots, his brush stroke for scenery carried it along with every single place Luffy went...

    and this is the reason I created the thread... Oda's art may not just pop, but it really lays the canvas down, even if you don't notice...
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #27
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Maybe it's because I was more used to read unstandard art in comics but I never had issue wrt Oda art. In the world of manga where it is often very conventional, it was even kinda refreshing.

    Another thing that show that he is a great artist are his color spreads. I don't know if it is because of experience but when I compare them to Enigma ones, the difference is striking.

    I'm sorry but I feel compelled to add my little point about Kubo. The fact that their are no background in Bleach is not a weakpoint. Kubo decided to make a very aerated manga (because he couldn't or not I don't care). The fact is that in the end, that what's make Bleach Bleach. Some of the page emptiness becomes even beautiful... Which is something totally unthinkable in One Piece.

  16. #28
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    I agree with what a lot of people have said. While One Piece's character designs can be rather drastic and over-exaggerated sometimes, it's okay. I would rather have that than the kind of generic design for tons of characters like Bleach has. As someone said, you could see a character that hasn't show up in a while, and instantly remember it, because no one else in the series since then has looked anything like them. Even the extras who have no part in the plot whatsoever (townspeople on the various islands and whatnot) are all different.

    And I'd have to say Oda is pretty much second to none (in the manga world, that is...don't start bringing up Da Vinci and crap) in drawing scenery. He's drawn all kinds of beautiful places, and all of them really stand out and aren't generic at all (prime examples are Water 7 and when they first went under the sea toward Fishman Island).

    So I really don't understand why people bash Oda's art. I understand why people might dislike his character designs, but that's the only bad thing I can think of. And like I said, to me at least, that's more refreshing than annoying.

  17. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nonlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    I LOVE Oda's artwork; it needs to have that "zany/zetsu appeal for such a long, endearing epic piece of Shounen. (It's HALFWAY finished.)

  18. #30
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London Below
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

    Quote Originally Posted by RezzieThaRapper View Post
    even when Oda's drawing wasn't as in depth, I knew every piece of every island in the east blue saga... and Oda didn't have to spend agonizing chapters to explain the layout or do numerous panel shots, his brush stroke for scenery carried it along with every single place Luffy went...
    ..so he can have something happening where the setting is important (like a bunch of pirates in Mock-town going after One Piece), and you can tell where they are within half a panel, which means the story doesn't slow down..

    And seriously, can't think of any other manga (or comic, or novel) where a dog from like 600 chapters ago can make an appearance and still be recognisable..
    (although I mainly remember it because it made such fcked-up noises in the anime..)
    Last edited by Ratatosk; April 10, 2011 at 07:37 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts