Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

why i love oda's art.

1. the weird-ugly-beautiful characters are flexible and visually strong on showing emotions.
    2. unique and great variety in characters.
    3. out of the box...the bishonen drawings really looks tiring after few years of seeing many of it.
    4. it seems he doesnt give out to much effort to make everything perfect so he can fill everything with illustrations...reason why im not getting tired of one piece, its not perfect but its chaotic-beatiful.

to me reading manga is like music, you are talking to the audience/readers....after a while, looking at beautiful things dont cut it for me...oda's art screams emotions everytime i read as if i can feel what the characters feels and i dont read one piece just because its beautiful...the art is magnificent and actually communicating to you.

for me one piece is rock and roll....dont really count as perfect but full of emotions.
    bleach and naruto are pop = beautiful but less on communication.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a matter of taste, really. I couldn't say that Oda's art is the greatest in the history of manga I prefer Inoue's artwork, but it is perfectly fit for a shounen genre battle manga. I know as the story progress, some people are complaining that the arts are getting more difficult to digest, and can be confusing sometimes, but that's the reason why One Piece is unique. The surreal drawings of every places and "crowded" background in the One Piece world are what makes Oda's art is distinguishable from other mangaka.

For me personally, his art is really fit to the story, so I don't have any problems if "evil" characters are depicted ugly by him.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?
    -Many of my friends said it was the non-realistic hip size of the women while they have big busts.
    -They are not impressed in the costumes of the characters

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Did your friends also complain about the natural six-packs, fully toned muscled bodies and 7-% body fat every single strawhat and many more characters have despite not working out enough to achieve that goal? Just asking to see if it's not only a feminist complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruffy View Post
    Oda's art has a lot more going for him in terms of the creativity of the locations than some mangaka.
    I would rather say 'most' mangaka. :-D
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Did your friends also complain about the natural six-packs, fully toned muscled bodies and 7-% body fat every single strawhat and many more characters have despite not working out enough to achieve that goal? Just asking to see if it's not only a feminist complaint.
    Yes.

They are not impressed about Oda's style of body proportions

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of problems are that? I mean at bleach, are there people too which have problems with the fact that every character seems to be super thin. Like they have a BMI from 15-17?
    I mean... Body proportions... c'mon...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Naruffy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people focus to much on just the character designs. Oda's art has a lot more going for him in terms of the creativity of the locations than some mangaka.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?
    -Many of my friends said it was the non-realistic hip size of the women while they have big busts.
    -They are not impressed in the costumes of the characters
    That's funny because I think that the comment tells more about the people who comment than about Oda's art. In my country, and in general, in latinamerica the women has no big boobs, but they have big hips and asses. But if you go to Poland, for instance, there you could find women much more comparable with Nami and Robin. I think some japanese idol models are not so far from that kind of body. Maybe only in their tall. So, if you ask to a person if Nami's drawing is realistic, the answer could vary in respect to the women in the answerer's region.

In the end, the art of a comic doesn't have to be realistic to be good.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that One Piece has art that suits it and has it consistently, which I can't say for most series. Even if they do from time to time. I've also enjoyed the progression of it a lot. I wish I could say that for the anime. :/

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Lots of people focus too much on the Character designs... but yet there were people, a cupple of time ago, which said that Tite Kubos Artwork is muuch better... I have to disagree very hard. Because since Oda is a genious especially in drawing landscapes of exotic unique places, all what makes Bleach so popular are a lot of useless and wasted panels with face ups.
    What also annoys me by the direct comparison between Bleach and One piece is, that Oda uses much more small panels and is story develops very fast in it, while Kubos art has to offer veeeeeeeeery much of this annoing one-panel-per-page things, and this werent for landscapes or great things but for another face up or a person from some discance with way to much speed lines inbetween.

I can pick a random one piece Chapter and a random Bleach chapter to show you what i mean.

Here we go - Bleach first:
    http://i15.mangapanda.com/bleach/496/bleach-3370967.jpg
    1st Panel Facepanel with lots of black ink used.
    2nd Panel (Big one) a Person from some distance
    3rd and 4th Panels face ups. - Thats how bleach works - any person within a faceup has to look cool, or at least being shocked by the events (or the rather slow pacing and wasting of space).
    And dont forget that inbetween al those face up panels there are many Eye-close-ups as well.

So now to one piece:
    http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/607/9
    So. There are many panels just as big as the ones from bleach just now, but there are so many background details in it, that you wonder why bleach only uses shis big panels just for face ups most of the time.
    The bottom left panels prove that it is possible to put many characters in one panel but also put a lot of conversation bubbles in it at the same time.
    I think in bleach this would have cost 2 to 3 pages while every character had his own panel and just looked damn cool with icy eyes.

I think out of many mangas out there oda has a very good style. I like it ver much. I can see that some people often dont get some of the drawings where it seems that people are 1much taller as they really are. Like this one:
    http://www.mangapanda.com/103-17408-...apter-550.html

While some of the oda-artwork haters now running around in circles because pictures like this are just what they hate about one piece, i say they just dont get it. ...
    Maybe Bleach is for some readers easier to get for the eyes, because you just see what you see, and within every 2-3 panels you clearly see the next facial expression (even if it was very similar to the one before though). Mostly like this: -_- or even this: ಠ_ಠ
    And not to forget, they arent so overwhelmed by the informations cause of the lack of background details. Well some might say this is also kinda unnecessary, and i would agree, because you dont want to see crumbled buildings for the 100th time, while all you want to see is Byakuyas half opened eye again!
    Byakuyas Eye
    Oh and dont forget his latest and brand new facial expression:
    http://www.miccostumes.com/blog/wp-c...ya-Kuchiki.jpg

Spoiler show

(I hope some of you got this kinda ironic not so serious post and had a little bit fun to read it too. :P )
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; March 15, 2013 at 07:09 AM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnSchulz View Post
    I think out of many mangas out there oda has a very good style. I like it very much. I can see that some people often dont get some of the drawings where it seems that people are 1much taller as they really are. Like this one:
    http://www.mangapanda.com/103-17408-...apter-550.html

While some of the oda-artwork haters now running around in circles because pictures like this are just what they hate about one piece, i say they just dont get it. ...

(I hope some of you got this kinda ironic not so serious post and had a little bit fun to read it too. :P )
    Both Kubo and Oda chose their art style for a reason, we aren't here to bash any other manga/ka. Your try to degrade those that like Bleach but not OP is annoying and unwelcome. You know, some like both, maybe you too. It's about Oda's art after all!

Well that's because they are so much taller than the average marine/human and have different sizes themself.

Mostly it's because those people haven't read far enough to enjoy it to the fullest, it just takes some more time for some or they just don't like that, nobody should force them.

edit: from Kubo's last interview:
    Quote Quote:
    Jo Kaps: "Many readers are wondering why you tend to draw minimalistic to no backgrounds and focus on the characters instead."

Kubo: "Backgrounds distract the reader from what's going on inside the character. Whenever I leave backgrounds out, this is to allow my readers to see the heart of the character."
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 19, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I know man. People who claim to have problems with odas artwork, do in fact have a problem with One Piece itself.
    They dont get that in a fantasy world where giants exist, no one cares about heights of people, yet they search for excuses to hate One Piece. ( - dont like One Piece)
    You know, you cant logically explain why some People say that Odas drawings are awful, but Kubos for example are the best of all. Its just Fanboyism.
    Thats what i meant with that. There are the ones which like to see Byakuyas eye and facial expression, and there are the ones which like to see the new Islands Oda creates every now and then. In either way, to say that this or that is bad and the very other is the best is just pointless, because i think its just an other point of view when facing a fan of something. Then Objective things turn to nonsense and things they just didnt get turn to excuses for them to find something too bad to read - yet they didnt know what they are talking about. They may just heard it somewhere and overall its not interesting for them.
    Now and in the future there will be more and morepeople who claim to didnt get into one piece, mostly because no one simply comes to a series worth 700+ chapters, but for some, its the height of chatracters.
    (Maybe i would have been better in pointing out what i wanted to say when i wouldve been born in an natural english speaking country.)
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; March 16, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just know that art is subjective. No one Mangaka art it truly superior (atleast to some extent), it's just personal opinion that determines which one you like more. If someone dislikes Oda's art, it's not because Oda's art is bad, it's just that they're taste is different.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The art of new mangaka will with a high likelihood be inferior to the art of an experienced one, that's not even a debate, just look at OP chapter 1 and chapter 700, new Oda is objectively better than the old one. What you can rate subjectively though is their design and style.

Yes art can be rated subjective, just as it can be objective, but I can't accept such a statement though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Naruffy
    No one Mangaka art it truly superior (atleast to some extent)
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Which is why I said "at least to some extent." Most people like or dislike art based on personal taste which is why most people statements on such can't automatically be taken as truth/fact. At the same time, Artists excel in different areas. One can be considered superior at character design while the others are better at backgrounds and settings, both of which are a part of both authors "art" so they could be considered somewhat even. There is also a difference between a single Mangaka improving verses a comparison between two different mangaka.

Even then what people base OP's art now being better than it was in 1997 is the style and design.
    Last edited by Naruffy; March 17, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast