Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: What do you think of Oda's Art

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great Artist

200 71.17%
  • He's an okay Artist

38 13.52%
  • I'm pretty neutral about the Art he makes

16 5.69%
  • I really think he could do better

20 7.12%
  • I feel as though his Art is awful

7 2.49%
New Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What exactly is the problem with Oda's Art?

Perhaps it's the very little screentone he uses. I think it's great that he's using crosshatching to shade because (and I heard this from an artsy classmate) that technique takes a lot of work to get done right. Since those are extra lines on a page, it gives the impression that the panels are crowded- speaking of which, I noticed that most (if not all) of Oda's panels are drawn as squares or rectangles. Other mangas tend to 1) use a bunch of tones and 2) vary the shapes of the panels. Oda doesn't follow these two trends so this might affect the way his artwork is presented on a subconscious level.

Oda has definitely improved- no doubt about that. The way he draws hands has become much better, and body figures aside, his character designs for women have become more varied. Take a look at the dark haired beauties: Robin has always had distinct facial features, but Hancock and Baby 5 are visually different. Although she's not shown, you can add Tashigi to the mix as well. The criticism to the lack of variety among women is valid in the early stages but not anymore.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shenduk's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't partake of the talk about his drawings being childish, to me they fit One Piece very well.

But things that bother me are that Oda apparently doesn't know how draw strong legs. He may draw a character becoming buffer, but the legs are usually depicted as those same folded "tubes". Just look at Jesus Burgess. When he draws the legs with no pants covering them, they look ridiculous in some characters, even if they're well detailed.

Another thing is hair. Sometimes they behave in a weird way, like Jinbe's that was straight/spiky when short but curly when long. I can handwave it as fishmen's genetics, but still...
    Kaku's hair as a kid looked curly, but as an adult it looks straight and slicked back. He could have drawn it as shaved, like Franky's.
    Usopp's is bizarre too, looking very curly when tied, but... wavy when loose?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather say it's his choice of style, after he started making characters gigantic, he just started to long legs to a proportionate and weird upper bodies. Not that it doesn't bother me at times too. :P edit: I like manly legs too, but I don't see it as a flaw with characters like Franky.

Maybe Kaku has short hair because of the locks? Cut it short and enabled him more control over it. haha
    Last edited by Schabrak; May 01, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the problem is that he is too amazingly creatively artistic--which leads to people like you, who see it as a flaw...?

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shenduk View Post
    I don't partake of the talk about his drawings being childish, to me they fit One Piece very well.

But things that bother me are that Oda apparently doesn't know how draw strong legs. He may draw a character becoming buffer, but the legs are usually depicted as those same folded "tubes". Just look at Jesus Burgess. When he draws the legs with no pants covering them, they look ridiculous in some characters, even if they're well detailed.
    The Legs of Capman look pretty much like strong legs for me. But thats something my eyes catched right away, because its rare.
    Spoiler show

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

my opinion on odas art:

from the outside looking in, someone who has no idea about the atmosphere or theme of the story, the looks rough, inconsistent and full of flaws

however once you read the story, or even understand it via the anime

the art not only makes perfect sense

it fits the story perfectly, and the attention to detail in the backgrounds is extremely underrated

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    the problem is that he is too amazingly creatively artistic--which leads to people like you, who see it as a flaw...?
    Lol I don't see it as a flaw... far from it.. he's amazing.. read all my post in this thread again sir
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Like plenty are saying in here I also think it's because Oda doesn't draw manga like EVERYONE else (naruto, bleach etc, just another manga style comic) with "cool looking characters" all the time, instead Oda's putting those cartoony/ ugly/ silly characters in that becomes the reason why idiots don't realise how great one piece art actually is, they end up getting stuck into looking for steriotypical looking manga that looks the same as every other manga, where every character is over the top pretty, EVEN Choji becomes a steriotypical pretty boy when he got into his serious life/death fight!

If Oda wanted to draw the same "cool manga" as everyone else he's prooved he's perfectly capable of doing so countless times, but he's not trying to draw the same as every other manga draws, he's instead refined his own style in which he's given so much more room to mess around and enjoy the art that he's drawing.

Seriously, I can't stand how bland some other manga's look just because even if you were told who the artists were you would barely know the difference between them, while Oda's on the other hand obviously stands out as being different. This is the only reason that some manga readers WONT read one piece, JUST because the art style is "Different", which is stupid of them because Oda does far better than certain other popular mangas out there.
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, this thread really lured me into this whole forum. Guess i should say welcome then. :P

Since I'm at work I just wanna tell you my 2 Cents on this topic before I set up this whole Account right:

Quote Quote:
    Jo Kaps: "Many readers are wondering why you tend to draw minimalistic to no backgrounds and focus on the characters instead."

Kubo: "Backgrounds distract the reader from what's going on inside the character. Whenever I leave backgrounds out, this is to allow my readers to see the heart of the character."
    Don't believe it. His characters are pretty much like pancakes. If you throw out some hot air they will inflate, but if you keep your cool, they stay as flat as they are and you could aswell do with simple signs, the current emotional expression written on them. I'm mean, sorry, but there actually is a huge difference between prioritizing content and not adding backgrounds. :P

2. I think the main problem most people have with Oda's art is the unique style, which is clearly different to the precise Artwork of other Series (Oda's artwork incredibly detailed). It looks much more like a crossover between Manga and european and american comics. It's fairly hard to measure the quality of a Manga but i have a few examples I have to think of in this regard:

Spoiler show

Donald Duck is one of the best comic series to be ever published, yet at first sight the art is quite lacking. Nontheless Carl Barks (the creator) was a genius of expression, humor, drama, emotion and so on. Damn, I could really write a book worth of content just about him.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

I hope you have seen these images and also saw some resemblance to Oda's latest evolvement.

Starting off from traditional manga i came to think he just wanted to evolve his artwork in a way that fit's his storyline and crazy characters. Thus he made a huge step in the comic genre.
    The "clumsy" proportions of dudes like Hercules, oder Moria are some artsy way of further chracterising a character. Just like with a caricature Oda intentionally shapes special people in a special manner to further strenghend the unique appearance and recognition in the future. Also they further draw out the most important aspects (physical and psychological) of the person, or they way of fighting and so on (i know, women! ).

I'm running out of time so just let me make it short: From an artist's perspective Oda is one of the best mangaka out there. His artwort isn't sloppy, in fact in my personal experience it's even harder to draw in this sort of style and be consistent. If you have loads of persons with normal anatomy, like in Bleach, it's not that hard, since they all follow the same rules. But with those "quick" shadow lines, the unusual proportions, still ending up with the character you want in a picture that's still recognizeable is hard enough.

This isn't exactly what i wanted to say, but if someone wants to discuss this further, I'd be happy to answer later on, or tommorrow. Right after i set up my Account. :P

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a matter highly depending on personal tastes!! Especialy since Oda has his very own Style

Think about the people finding the Mind-Blowing,tremendous Tsutomu Nihei Drawings Sh**ty!!

I enjoy Oda's art,the battle scenes and overall art is more detailed than it appears to be.

Some characters may be overly grotesque,and women....Oda does'nt know how to draw beautiful women,I mean really/ Like Tsukasa Hōjō does

Spoiler show

He He You're Welcome

Quote Quote:
    it's even harder to draw in this sort of style
    Not hard enough for Doujin drawer lol

Interesting first post David & welcome
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    Some characters may be overly grotesque,and women....Oda does'nt know how to draw beautiful women,I mean really/ Like Tsukasa Hōjō does

Not beautiful, huh?

I think this is also a part of his concept to reduce the proportions of every person to the determined attributes. Thus every "good-looking" woman has huge breasts and an unnatural slim waist. Or he's just a pervert in his own right.

Thanks btw. :P

>>David rose to beat the Philistines, with five smooth stones and a sling.<<

New Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9