Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: What do you like / love about The Breaker?

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you like / love about The Breaker?

The title says it all. What do yo like or love about The Breaker? My two cents, the series caught my intention from the very first chapter. The characters especially Shioon and Goomoonryong were totally opposite to each other. Shioon growth as a character was done beautifully. Although he was our regular protagonist when it comes to having fought stronger guys, I felt the author left an impression of struggle-a will to survive to be more precise.

What are your thoughts?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Otters11's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you like / love about The Breaker?

Needs more Spinach? Or was that Spam?

Almost, everything. I like that the writer is crafting a fantasy based martial arts story, by reasoning out things as if they are based on their own real science. I'll find space to explain how Shiwoon had used up all his Ki, just prior to his Ki center being destroyed on the roof top. But the point is that the Author not only told a great story about someone being plucked out of reality and given power.

But this time the Author tells a story where Shiwoon must earn every victory and any abilities he had before he will have to earn the hard way this time. ~ (IMO, The only exception to this structure will be when the Editors @ Daum or the Readership places pressure on them to jump the story forward.) I'm sorry if this offends dragon ball fans. But i'm tired of magical power stories where shit just happens because the author needs it to, or stories purely based on...You must catch them all, and Evolve new abilities, to destroy the evil power.

Anyone have some thoughts on the Art?
    Last edited by Otters11; June 27, 2011 at 02:43 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What interests the most about The Breaker is its intricate storytelling. The author has multiple plot threads that are all interdependent of each other running simultaneously. Furthermore, each major plot point of the series receives adequate development. Rereading the series in its entirety shows how well the story fits together as if it were a jigsaw puzzle.

Other strong points include GMR and Shioon as decent main leads, the seriousness the author treats on how Shioon acquires his power, the grey and gray morality of the setting, and its straightforward storytelling.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say for me first and foremost it's "potential" A lot of Martial Art's mangas/manhwas come and go. But to me what sets this series apart is the future potential that the author has established. Most series in the genre tend to fall into a kind of "eternal student" thing.

Which is a fairly basic formula "an aspiring martial artist finds teachers gets stronger beats some powerful enemy, rinse repeat". The Breaker managed to spread the scope of it's story beyond that, by introducing the whole "clan dynamic" which i just love. Suddenly it's not just about individual strength it's about more than that.

There is a whole element of "marital arts politics" which make The Breaker's story very complex and addicting.

--------------------------------------------

Starting in New Waves i began to get really fond of the characters too.

I wasn't a huge GMR fan, he was just a bit to similar to some other Manhwa characters for my liking(Lightning Tiger from Veritas would be one example), so that kinda got in the way of me enjoying the first part of the series as much as i would have liked, but New Waves turned that all around. So far every character they have introduced has been enjoyable and Shioon is IMO a much better central figure to for all those fun characters to revolve around than GMR was.

Shioon and these new characters have me completely hooked.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 02, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply