Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Vinland Saga 72 Discussion/73 Predictions

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland Saga 72 Discussion/73 Predictions

After a month of hiatus and quite some waiting time more, Vinland Saga 72 is finally available on Manga Stream.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland Saga 72 Discussion/73 Predictions

Some days ago decided to continuing reading Vinland Saga and i reached today chapter 72 !

it has been until now quite good, even despite the fact that Seinen is not my favourite type of manga. But the art is really great and i story is also very well constructed and although i think it shows the people on that time, the way they were !!!!

We see how people are killed without any kinda of remorse , we see what was the life of the slaves and what they had to endure, and Vinland Saga better than any manga that i have read until now makes us think , what exactly are we humans !!!! How can be possible that on that times we humans were like that ?
    Now all of us can say and get that what happened on these times was clearly something barbaric but do you guys think that on some hundreds years for now are we also going to be criticized by our actions and lifestyle ???

It is really crazy to see the Canute from the first chapters he appeared and the Canute that we see now ! What happened to that innocent boy that was trying to make this a better world ??

I hated Askeladd but i kinda miss him now !!!!

I still don't know any more what expect from Thorfinn, he is on the way of becoming a true warrior but at some point of story i am expecting maybe a clash between him and King Canute

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, definitely an epic chapter. Seeing formerly girly, beautiful Canut grizzled and stony eyed on the first page was jarring. His appearance accurately reflects his mental state; hardened by war and assassination, haunted by his murdered father, guilt ridden over poisoning his brother. Those were the realities of politics in the 11th century, the curse Sven and Canut spoke of.

Canut, alone by the window, contemplating the crown was a beautiful scene. Yukimura captured the loneliness and isolation of power perfectly.

With another time skip, I wonder what has become of Thorfinn and Einor? Have they gained their freedom? Will he live up to his oath and find home? Can't wait for the next issue!

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Styx47ag's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow another excellent chapter. Hardly recognized Canute. Looks much more like a real king nowadays. Awesome scene with Sweyn haunting canute. Canute putting the crown causing Sweyn's head to fade away shows how Canutes goal in creating a his utopia drives him, enabling him to overcome the guilt and despair of what must be done.

Really want to know what happened to Thorfinn and Einor after the fight, if and how they were punished. Will Thorfinn's new resolve be tested?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

YES! ENTER MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! How evil can this guy get?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Styx47ag View Post
    Wow another excellent chapter. Hardly recognized Canute. Looks much more like a real king nowadays. Awesome scene with Sweyn haunting canute. Canute putting the crown causing Sweyn's head to fade away shows how Canutes goal in creating a his utopia drives him, enabling him to overcome the guilt and despair of what must be done.

Really want to know what happened to Thorfinn and Einor after the fight, if and how they were punished. Will Thorfinn's new resolve be tested?
    If I have to guess, the closer Canute comes to creating his utopia, the deeper the curse becomes. His empire is built on blood; as he continues to build it, the bodies will continue to pile up.

I love that Canute is not portrayed as a modern politician. He's a good, old fashioned warlord, building a personal empire.

Thorfinn and Einors fate is a big mystery, it's been three years since the fight. Maybe they have gained there freedom already, maybe they have escaped. Can't wait to find out. Hopefully Thorfinn is making his way to Iceland as we speak. I hope that they become entangled in Canute's English kingdom on their way to Vinland.

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    YES! ENTER MY FAVORITE CHARACTER! How evil can this guy get?
    I have a bad feeling this is just the beginning. Paranoia hasn't even set in. He still has to defend his crown from imaginary enemies.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow. Just finished the latest chapter and it was epic!

Even though I'm obviously wondering what's up with Thorfinn and Einors, I'm really, really glad to see the focus shift back to Canute. I've missed his character a lot, so even if he is almost unrecognizable now, it's really great to see him again. I love the way he's evolved and totally embraced his new role as a ruthless king, even murdering members of his own family to further his goals.

I agree that the minor paranoia and hallucinations we've seen from Canute so far are probably just the tip of the iceberg. It was already hinted at that his delusions are getting worse. And I can see why. He has no one else that understands his pain or position of power, no other way of venting than talking to an imaginary severed head. So it will all most likely continue to build and gradually eat away at his sanity. I must say, I'm kind of looking forward to it. xD

Anyway, next chapter can't come soon enough!

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Canute following the footprints of the ones before him. I expected this since when he went through the change in personality. I would like to see, whether he ends like his father or not? I think he will be more ambitious and more cruel.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

hehehe I love how Shakespeare/ Berserk this is all getting. Not like his father didn't tell him exactly what was going to happen.. apart from probably worse, because presumably his father was just the average self-serving dickhead and didn't start out with the idea of trying to get his revenge on god or whatever..

Mind you I thought Canute grew up with all his brothers trying to kill each other (presumably including him).. so the stuff about playing together as kids could be bullsh.t too. Makes sense with the the guy with the scars trying to keep a straight face.

Is Thorfinn in Denmark right now? (When he's awake that is). I forget... Could get interesting.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Canutes little story about him and his brother having an excellent relationship was true. Just look at the historical facts mentioned, Harald helped his brother a lot and even lent him a fleet, and they had a good relationship as kings.

It's quite cool seeing Thorfinns and Canute both changing so drastically and seemingly into opposite directions. I'm on pins and needles for the next chapters, as always.

Canute reminds me of the thesis that the thought of having found the "ultimate solution" will always result in cruelity. Because thinking to know the "ultimate solution" will make people also think to be morally justified to do everything, how inhuman it may be, to force the way to that solution. This is exactly what Canute is going through, here focussing on how badly it also backfires on his psyche.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome chapter, but which wasn't, right? =) I wonder if Yukimura plans to take us back to the year 1015 after this Knut's story. I think that he will but nah... He can do whatever he wans, It's his masterpiece after all. On the other hand, I would love to see how Leif and others cames back to the village after Thors death and their daily lives after that. With who got Ylfa married (was it Ari or wasn't), start of Leif's search for Thorfinn and such things (yes, I love how are even boring daily lives interesting and fun to read in Yukimura's stories, that's why I love Slave Arc so much).

To Ratatosk: Yes, Thorfinn and Einar are in Denmark. The place where they are is exactly named Jutland. I think it has been called Cimbria in ancient times, but I'm not so sure about it right now.
    Last edited by You Say; April 19, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Vizard5's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

im drunk as shit rigth now. but canute\kunt is following the real stoy perferctly right now. i hope thorfinn will will rebell against the slave master now. but it is highly unlikelily. i think the story might follow canute for 1 or 2 chaperts now and hopefuly he encounter thorfinnn . but he is following his abition and will not go for a voilent way. if the mangaka is following the history thorfinn will find a wive on iceland and search for vinland. it would be cool to see thorfinn cautgh in another war. and see how he would deal with that. i wonder how how he will get out of the slave life. prolly he the farm will get atacked and he will escape with einar. finding vinland is now thorfinns life goal.
    i will nort edit this jsts to shos ho s lonh it thoos to wwithie thiss i bet it thook about 20 minutes that is just how muvch i love you guys thorfinn will find vindlad no matter the cost. bettting my life tat the next chapert will come in the next few dats..

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

will there be an vinland saga this month? (April)

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackalj View Post
    I would expect so, since I never saw any info about it beeing late/on hiatus again. Still it's a bit worrying that I can't find anything about it yet, latest chapter was only released in the begin of april - so begin of may would be fine - but there already were spoilers out before :/

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member You Say's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackalj View Post
    It should be out in Japan now (release date was 25th April) and It gets Vinland Saga cover like was promised in last chapter. You might be interested in official twitter account of Afternoon magazine.

I simply can't wait for the cover, chapter itself and volume scans. Aww, I wish for Vinland Saga to get released in english... I really want to support Yukimura by buying the volumes. Come on english publishers! It's like Vinland Saga was made for European readers...
    Last edited by You Say; May 01, 2011 at 03:08 AM.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply