Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Board and Card games

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Board and Card games

Ok there are video games, but do you still continue to play the old traditional games that are Board and Card games ?
    What are the most popular in your country ? What are the one that you would recommand ? Do you play for money ?
    Do you like more reflexion games such as chess, go or abalon or more fun games like Ticket to ride, Time's up...

I think it will be hard to teach card games in a forum but there are probably some rules in wikipedia so provide links. I always found it very annoying when I traveled to see some guy playing and don't understand what they are doing.
    About Board game, I've heard that they are really popular in Germany. Is that true ?

As for me, I have discovered how to play Mahjong 2 years ago (the real game with the domino, not the computer one), and it's really an addictive game. Honestly it's 100 times better than poker.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Board and Card games

MAHJONG

A lot of the people here , esp chinese play it in my country.
    I even play it! It's addicting and you're right
    Poker is also addicting but tiring for me, for some reasons, I can't play it straight but I play long hours for Mahjong.
    It's fun and no, I'm not doing it for the money .

For Board games, I still play Monopoly sometimes, it's okay I guess.
    Board games and such for me is for people to sit down and know each other better thro playing a games, so that's what I do with board games.

However, the one game that I take seriously is chess. I find it very meaningful and I hope to understand it one day. Chess also improves my mind and it's always good to think 10 steps ahead.
    Too bad no one around me plays chess, so I have to do it online/ on the ds, lol. But I have a chessboard at home and forces my sister to learn

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Chess needs to reflexion for me and that is not what I search in a play. What I like in Mahjong is that the balance of strategy and luck is very well done. You can win even against very good player but good player will win more often. Btw which rule do you play ? In Europe it is mainly Richii and MCR. I know only the latter but in holland where they play much more than in other countries they play a lot of Richii

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Channy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i love playing Risk, Scrabble, and Monopoly and a card game i like playing is Liggretto

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hanihime's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Catan is my life >.<
    It's possibly one of my all time favourite games.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my country has a most popular game so to speak. The most common one would probably be monopoly which I love. I also like playing risk, great strategy game. My only issue with those two games is that they take WAY too long. I have yet to play a risk game shorter than 3 hours and a monopoly games shorter than 2 lol. We do tweak a bit with the monopoly rules though...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanihime View Post
    Catan is my life >.<
    It's possibly one of my all time favourite games.
    Rae you talking about Settlers of Catan

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

board games/computer board games:

(that i've played when little and some I still do - of the ones I still have anyways)

01. Monopoly
    02. Life
    03. The Amazing Labrynth
    04. Crash Canyon
    05. Fireball Island
    06. Axis and Allies
    07. Risk
    08. chess
    09. checkers
    10. Rivers, Roads, and Rails
    11. snakes/chutes and ladders
    12. Yahtzee
    13. shanghai?
    14. Trouble/double trouble (whatever it called)
    15. parchezy
    16. cribbage
    17. a bunch of otehr computer board games that I can't remember the names of lol
    18. Mouse Trap
    19. Candy Cane Land (or whatever it is called)
    20. Twister (does this count as a baord game, lol)
    21. Scrabble (but I suck at it, not big enough vocab, lol)
    22. Battleship
    23. etc..

(I'd really love to learn to play Go, as chess is inferior miltariy-strategically to Go, I could beat shikamaru easily... right... hehe)

Card games/computer card games:

1. contract rummy (minnesota/swedish family, every reunion we play it, lol)
    2. go fish
    3. solitaire
    4. Uno
    5. etc...
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; May 29, 2011 at 01:57 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I used to play lot of poker and still love it. Texas or Omaha Hold'em, or sometimes other variations such as Crazy Pineapple. However, I quit when the bets started to get out of hand. Been thinking about starting to play online, so I could play with stakes that are okay for me.

Im not really good at chess, but I still like playing it from time to time. Mahjong and Go are something I wish to learn to play. I've read/watched Kaiji and Akagi, yet still mahjong feels somewhat confusing. Especially the hands. But I bet it wouldn't be hard to learn if I really just started to play.

I hardly play board games anymore. sometimes Monopoly or Scramble, but that's it. Tic-tac-toe

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really like pocker. Unfortunatly it has become the cola of card games and the only game that young people wants to play.

I guess I would be as bad as Go as I am with chess, that's why I really like mahjong. The balance between luck and strategy is really great. Ustegius don't be afraid the standard hands are not that hard to learn. Try to learn the competition rules are they are the most interesting ones

As for Board game, I really like ticket to ride. Time's up is also fun but I think it's francophone only

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently I'm addicted to Monopoly Deals. Anyone else also play this game? It's simple yet it's addicting.

More general, my friends are almost all addicted to card games. Whenever break time comes, they will play cards. Be it ordinary cards or others like UNO or Monopoly Deals. I admit that they are all fun and interesting though, and easy to bring anywhere or play anytime. XD

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well..learning mahjong is simple..by just playing
    I'm serious, and the hands aren't that hard although mahjong is never fair.
    I'm not sure what the terms used are is since its all in chinese and so.
    As for chess..its really not easy. Practice, a lot of practice.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My and buddy Caleb like to get Stoned and play Chess its funner that way

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

battle chess on the computer is fun too, seeing the different animations of pieces taking pieces and/or moving across the board, especially if the Queen's hot... hehe
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Currently I'm addicted to Monopoly Deals. Anyone else also play this game? It's simple yet it's addicting.
    Late reply is late, but Monopoly Deal is great! It was all the craze over here a year ago. The craze has kinda died down, but now that I see this post I'm kinda craving a game... Gotta go dig out my cards from wherever they are!

But quite recently I was introduced to 2 amazing board/card games:

Saboteur (link)
    This is one game that will get your heart rate up and bring out the sides of your friends you probably never thought you'd see. It's a fairly straightforward game, but played with the right people, it's just addictive! There's an expansion pack called "Saboteur 2" that adds more characters and stuff, which makes the game a whole lot more complicated but at the same time, exciting! My classmates and I are kinda obsessed with this game right now and play it whenever we meet up I absolutely love it!

I'm the Boss! (link)
    This one is also fairly straightforward, and will involve much shouting and debating. But then, it isn't always the noisiest person who wins!

Both games are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for all upcoming Christmas and New Year parties I know that's what I'm gonna be playing! Has anyone played these games??

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast