Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunwoon Clan fall from its peak / Sosul's father's location

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunwoon Clan fall from its peak / Sosul's father's location

Not sure if this has been covered...

Trying to start a conversation / piece together all information on the previous fall of the Sunwoo Clan from its peak power. From memory:

-Gaul(sp?), walked away from youngish Elder Jeon to go defend the clan's pride;
    -Which should have happened *before* Elder Kwan and his best buddy's ambush where Kwan was the remaining survivor.
    -An unnamed clan has been mentioned as being motivated by GMR's ascent at the Shimjimpe (sp?) and tried to follow him in re-establishing murim's ideals.
    -Southern Red Star has been stated as one of those who tried following GMR, and paid dearly for it.

So is this how the Sunwoo Clan's decline went?

A) Sunwoo hit is peak with Kwan and buddy buddy taking everyone down.
    B) Clan leader gets ambushed, saves Kwan but bites it, starts the decline.
    C) Clan leader's son (Sosul's father) takes over.
    D) GMR's ascent occurs, Sunwoo clan tries to follow GMR's ideals, reform murim.
    E) Sosul born, everyone takes that as pretext that Sunwoo is weak, and is attacked by MAA and Chundo Moon.
    F) Sosul's father tries to defend their honor, bites the dust as well.
    E) Current state of Sunwoo.

If the Sunwoo clan wasn't the clan who got dissected by the MAA for trying to follow GMR, then which one? Not Blood & Bones Clan. Any other noteworthy? You don't hear about Heavenly Maiden much.

Thoughts?

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunwoon Clan fall from its peak / Sosul's father's location

Welcome to the Forum!

Mostly your order of events should be pretty accurate, although the E and F are kind of mixed together I think. I get the feeling that Chundo Moon and the Sunwoo were fighting on and off for years. Kind of understandable with the Sunwoo wanting to be the strongest and Chundo Moon occupying that position. The last option should probably be option G) instead of a 2nd E).

The clan that Southern Red Star was part of was likely not the Sunwoo. It was probably a group of martial artists that were from a variety of schools. When that group was destroyed by the MAA any survivors would have gone back to their original clans... if those clans would take them back. The reason I think it would be that way would be that the Sunwoo was not a well liked clan so it would be very unlikely that other martial artists would join the Sunwoo to revere GMR... especially when the Sunwoo itself doesn't really revere GMR.

As for the Heavenly Maiden school, that was Shiho's school. The name suggests it is all female martial artists. I always wondered if it is the same school as the old Granny's but that was never made clear.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

The clan that Southern Red Star was part of was likely not the Sunwoo. It was probably a group of martial artists that were from a variety of schools. When that group was destroyed by the MAA any survivors would have gone back to their original clans... if those clans would take them back. The reason I think it would be that way would be that the Sunwoo was not a well liked clan so it would be very unlikely that other martial artists would join the Sunwoo to revere GMR... especially when the Sunwoo itself doesn't really revere GMR.
    Check Vol. 57 page 3. (I can't find Breaker season 1 on mangareader). Mamungi says to Shion and Yi Gyu-bum:

"But Goomooryong, who was believed to have disappeared temporarily, never came back. Afterwards, their martial art school became a target of hatred for the Alliance. Soon after, the Alliance demolished that school, and the talented ones who escaped became wanderers on the fringes."

Is it the version I downloaded was improperly translated, or does the online versions say the same general thing?

Edit: Found it

http://i38.mangareader.net/the-break...er-1220811.jpg

Page 8 on the online version
    Last edited by countryside_peon; April 26, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ketsurou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sunwoo was never completely demolished, though. They were in terrible shape because their Gaju, Sosul's father, was killed in a war intended to kill Sosul who they believed was cursed (yeah, they actually had that kind of midevil mind set about it). After Sosul's father died in the fight, and Sosul was taken into custody, the Sunwoo was basically a leaderless clan for years. That's why it took everything the Elders had just to keep the clan together, even though they had no clear Gaju (except Sosul, who was kidnapped by the alliance).

So, while your time line is generally accurate, I don't see any connection between the Sunwoo and the mysterious Goomoongryong school other than Gyu-Bum Yi. And, as was said, it is more likely that he simply left or was kicked out of his school, much like the current status of Ji-Gun Yoo.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

wait there is a GMR school? or you are saying Black Origin School? (Han Chun Woo was clanless until the MMA notice his techs)

and what is the way of GMR that they followed anyway? that all those minor clans was wiped from the murim world

maybe GMR's way is saying that all people/murim-in are equal in attaining/Joining tournaments and other stuff not just those famous clans that cling on power(9 seats of power)

the question is why Chundomoon and Sunwoo are always fighting? are they rivals or just want to be the top on the murim world?

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

By "Goomoonryong School," I meant the clan that followed Goomoonryong's will and expected him to return and lead them to take over and liberate Murim from the rule of the old, aristocratic structure.

It has been mentioned that there was such a clan, and that the MAA completely wiped them out. That is why that clan could not have been the Sunwoo--they were in a bad state from their own circumstances, but were never completely destroyed.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketsurou View Post
    The Sunwoo was never completely demolished, though.
    are we arguing semantics? i never said completely demolished, neither did the quote.

So, while your time line is generally accurate, I don't see any connection between the Sunwoo and the mysterious Goomoongryong school other than Gyu-Bum Yi. And, as was said, it is more likely that he simply left or was kicked out of his school, much like the current status of Ji-Gun Yoo.
    is it also likely that in the murim, changing clans is like a pick-up game of ball? Yi Gyu-Bum showed some pretty fervent devotion to Sosul when trying to rescue her from the copter.

I'm not saying I'm correct about whether the clan in question is the Sunwoo, but I was pretty sure that he was always a retainer of the Sunwoo.

So if the attacked clan wasn't the Sunwoo, have there been any other clans hinted at? I guess that's why I started this thread....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean to pick at semantics, but the quote does imply that the clan was completely destroyed when it says "and the talented ones who escaped became wanderers on the fringes." This means that Gyu-Bum also "escaped," but he is at present a member of the Sunwoo Clan. If he escaped the clan that the Alliance attacked, and that clan was the Sunwoo Clan, then would he be a member of the Sunwoo now?

I'm not suggesting that Gyu-Bum is not fervently devoted to the Sunwoo, either. But you have to consider what Goomoonryong did to Murim. I suspect that back then, it was like a less wild version of the SUC--a clan formed from the devotees of Goomoonryong. That, I believe, is why there is no other clans hinted at--the clan was formed, and then destroyed, and the members of that "new" clan were scattered back to their old clans or worse.

I think there was a point where Ma Mun-Gi (either him or someone else, but I think it was him) also said he was the same as Gyu Bum in this matter, in that they both followed Goomoonryong before. Yet, Mun Gi is and never has been Sunwoo.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyu-Bum like all other Supernovas idolize GMR

Yi Gyu-Bum (Southern Red Star)- Ma Mun-Gi explained that Gyu-Bum idolize/follow GMR's way
    Ma Mun-gi (Northern Black Star)- Cutting one of his arm just to pay respect/sorry to GMR
    Kwon-Young (Western White Star)- as a captain of SUC that follow GMR's way in New Waves
    Unknown (The Eastern Pale Star)

either those people who's school was destroyed become known as a supernova or created their own clan like the Torrent Clan and Gyu-Bum joining Sunwoo clan or others perished along the way

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Gyu-Bum was originally a Sunwoo member as if you look as his skills, they are used by other Sunwoo members, like Elder Kwon, Ha Ill and Jini. I think he returned to the Sunwoo after that period with that un-named group of GMR followers.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Given Shiwoons latest zeal and *cough Love *cough for sunwoo what we should be discussing though is the future tectonic rise of sunwoo and major SUC @$$ kicking.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    Given Shiwoons latest zeal and *cough Love *cough for sunwoo what we should be discussing though is the future tectonic rise of sunwoo and major SUC @$$ kicking.
    i really think that Sunwoo Clan will fall and Shioon will create another Clan for the purpose of reforming Murim and maybe those members will consist of these people

Sunwoo Clan Elders and Members
    Artist Society
    Milyang Clan
    One Moon School
    Shinyhup Clan (the one that helped Shioon on the school that was pawned by Ryuji)

maybe clan will join in too

Torrent Clan
    White Rock Dojo

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sunwoo Clan will absolutely not fall. They are a critical aspect of the plot, both because Shioon is their head, and because Sosul is the heir.

Now that Shioon has fully and thoroughly accepted his position as Gaju (and, on top of that, fully and thoroughly accepted himself as Sunwoo), he will defend the Sunwoo Clan to death. As long as Shioon lives, the Sunwoo lives.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sunwoo Clan will absolutely not fall. They are a critical aspect of the plot, both because Shioon is their head, and because Sosul is the heir.

Now that Shioon has fully and thoroughly accepted his position as Gaju (and, on top of that, fully and thoroughly accepted himself as Sunwoo), he will defend the Sunwoo Clan to death. As long as Shioon lives, the Sunwoo lives.
    not to mention tat the original gaju got healed so she might come back and she is also powerful. with shinwoo and Sosul + 4 supernova + the elders i dont really see sunwoo falling

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    not to mention tat the original gaju got healed so she might come back and she is also powerful. with shinwoo and Sosul + 4 supernova + the elders i dont really see sunwoo falling
    sunwoo didnt have 4 supernova. we have seen only 3 supernova
    1st from sunwoo clan
    2nd is one hand biker
    3rd is in SUC

Shinwoo is currant gaju and Sosul is original gaju + she is with BFD so if she come its can be bad thing for Shinwoo (do u think if Sosul come sunwoo clan will divide in 2 clan)

anyway when Shinwoo come to home (sunwoo clan) he will make clan more powerful and become more powerful then dead elder so sunwoo will not become weak because they lost one elder

till now we have only heard that sunwoo clan is dangerous clan now i hope we see it

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast