Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Chapter 6 was released by Red Hawk

So we weren't really given Hachiken's full reason for going to Yezo, though we know that for some reason he doesn't want to go home, wants to be as far away from home as possible. He mentioned something about the pressures of real life society, so perhaps it was the pressure of having to do well academically, that kind of thing. I can identify with that, I think it's something quite prevalent in many Asian societies unfortunately. Although, he was shown to be good academically so maybe it's something else - bullying, family problems...? Anyway, I suppose Hachiken's full reasons will slowly come to light bit by bit.

I kinda liked the parts where they talked about how the only "mistake" farm animals make is being born, and after that they have no direction over their life and have only 2 choices - to be useful or to be killed. It's so sad but true I think it'll be indirect pep talks like this that will awaken Hachiken to his real purpose (something I assume he has yet to discover) for being at Yezo.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the mangaka can pull this off and make this story run long + be popular. It certainly is a different typ of story to most.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

These last chapters are too serious.... Some people must think it's unpleasant to deal with such harsh truths.
    I hope the next chapter can havemore comedy!

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Too serious?.....I'm actually liking this.Finally this is getting a bit darker.Shigeru and the rest will most likely be saved by Sumio,so don't worry about their wellbeing,it's still a Shonen.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's striking a pretty good balance between the serious, darker stuff, and the comedy. That's something I think Arakawa-sensei can also be commended for doing in FMA, and that was one of the primary reasons why I loved FMA so much. I can't say I hold the same love for Silver Spoon yet, though. I do also wonder how popular this series will be, though perhaps in chapters to come things may change.

@Googz: The second part of your post appears to be talking about Enigma, instead of Silver Spoon

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

@salad
    Oh yeah,wrong thread

Anyway,i think that serious stuff is what makes slice-of-life the most interesting,especially when someone like Arakawa does it with humor.
    About this chapter,I like how we see their friendship developing through arguments.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol at Googz. I was just like, wait, there's also a Sumio and Shigeru in Silver Spoon too? (Wasn't paying too much attention to names other than Hachiken...) Coincidence much...

I think Silver Spoon's doing great so far, great drama needs some comic relief to break up the suspense.

Some rather interesting comments about "Being useful or die" though...
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Magnus's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I wasn't expecting to get a glimpse of Hachiken's background.
    And unlike some other titles, the humour here is truly funny and witty.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So, Hachiken is the classic example of a burnout student. As soon as he reached high school level, he didn't know where he wanted to go and just wanted out. I think he did well academically and wasn't a slouch, but he just got pushed too far too fast. Perhaps by parents. It's not unprecedented.

I would prefer some of the humor back, though I understand the necessity of reflecting on the purpose of Hachiken. In any industry involving animals - agriculture, meat, veterinarian, etc - you have to accept that the animals are what they are. We all feed off death, even vegetarians.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the mood of the manga is really peculiar and I must said it's quite enjoyable to read something original such as this. I wonder if she could have afford making such a manga if it was not for the success of FMA.

As for Hachiken, it really looks like some family business. I'm not sure it is related to school since his parents don't care where he is going next

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I agree that the mood of the manga is really peculiar and I must said it's quite enjoyable to read something original such as this. I wonder if she could have afford making such a manga if it was not for the success of FMA.

As for Hachiken, it really looks like some family business. I'm not sure it is related to school since his parents don't care where he is going next
    I think she could.It's not like she is a one-trick pony.I read her one-shots and they're great as well.She's a splendid manga-ka,so she would probably get away with it.Anyway,after FMA's success,drawing a slice-of-life like this was the best thing to do.Nobody expects better action and it's good to lower FMA's hype.I assume she will make another big hit after Gin no Saji with the comfort of not being compared with the past as much as she would be now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I was saying I would like this chapter to have more comedy, and it had! I laughed at pork bowl! Haha
    It was a surprise to so many cold-hearted girls though, girls shoud be inocent...
    But what was interesting was the hint that Hachiken has older brothers more talented than him and overshadowed him.

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess them being born and raised on farms made them immune to the fact that animals die for food. But Pork Bowl was really funny hahaha.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I...I never knew...

Poor pigs...castration...

*shudder*

Oh well. I still think it was stupid of Hacihken to try and name Pork Bowl...Attachment is never good for food.
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, so I guess we gotta wait for the next chapter to find out a little bit more about Hachiken.

Poor pigs... I never knew male pigs had to be castrated for their meat to be more tender Piglets are so cute, dammit ;A; Pork boooowl!! 3 weeks more till he becomes bacon :/ it was indeed silly of Hachiken to even think of forming a bond with something that would so soon become food. But I guess like the girls, the more you do it, the more desensitized you become

I also found the part about the runt not wanting to improve himself interesting - like ErosVp mentioned, it probably is foreshadowing something that will later be revealed about Hachiken.

New Reply
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast