Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

Hachiken's dad looks like he came out of SnK. But I think that if he didn't care then he just wouldn't show up at all.

I'm expecting a really tense conversation. "Your mom was worried about you", "what's been going on", etc. Naturally Hachiken will probably take it all the wrong way.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Silver Skull's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that seems the most likely thing to happen.
    It kinda reminds me of Ed and Hohenheims relationship in FMA, with both of the main characters not trusting their dads at all. So because of that I get the feeling Hachiken also misunderstands his dad quite a bit, and his dad has good reasons for what he’s done. Have we been told why Hachiken hates his dad I can’t remember, was it just that he was strict or something?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if he really hates him. He is probably rather afraid of him and feel guilty since he didn't meet his expectation.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Boooy, I didn't expect this conversation to go so horribly wrong. Poor Hachiken, I felt really sorry for him in this chapter.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

His words are even scarier than his look :-)
    Apprently having his 2 sons running away didn't teach him anything. Poor hachiken, I hope his friends will be able to tell him how to jump obstacles again

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

if i had a dad like that 1 i would probably run away to a place where he can't come. although his mother seems more compassionate, she still isnt all that great a lady by what she tells shingo. though i applaud arakawa by her characterization.in 1 chapter she actually managed to make me feel like i was hachiken. she pulled no punches.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, relationships like that always push on the desires of what parents think is best for the child. in terms of his brother he just ran off to do his own thing because it's his life and he can do whatever he want. It's interesting the way it's incorporated into the story though because Hachiken's parents are no different then the parents of the farmers who have their children grow up on the farm and overall have a high chance of being farmers themselves and taking up the family business when they grow older. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, since Hachiken himself seems to be pushing the ideals that even though they may come from a farming family and have a farming education doesn't mean that's what their life has to be all about, they should still have the freedom to choose what they want.

I imagine in the coming chapters Hachiken will find himself reflecting on the idea that he's being very selfish cause all he's thinking about is what he wants to do with his life, when his colleagues pretty much take responsibility in a sense for what their family wants out of them. Though then he may realize that there is a difference between pushing ones ideals and suggesting ones ideals. In a farming family it's only natural that hard labor would be part of daily life and a they would be well educated in what they do, but the parents themselves don't exactly push them to take the family business only give them the opportunity to while encouraging them to find what's best for them. Those kids however also find it as their duty to take care of the family business when their family can't because for everything their parents have done for them and to continue to be able to support them.

In Hachiken's case though his father seems to suffocate him more than anything, and his Mother attempts to bring out compassion in him, well I can't recall if he actually complimented the food, but she even though I think it was a lie, but she tried to shine a decent light on him so Hachiken would feel better about his dad. However it's that very lie that causes his heart to strain even more at their relationship because what he thought was actual encouragement and compassion/support for what he was doing was nothing more then a lie to ease his heart and allow him to feel better about himself without feeling as if his dad is judging his every action.

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hachiken needs his friends to visit him soon, if they don't come for the next few days I can imagine that he'll get even more mentally strained then he is now...

I get the feeling that the other patient in the room is going to help out Hachiken though.

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, Yugo's dad. You make Mr. Banks look like a perfect father.

I disagree, TheWanderer. Unlike many of the kids who are inheriting the family business, Yugo's family is not like that. The whole reason for Yugo's dad trying to get him into desk work is because he decided Yugo is well-suited for it. He's entirely blind to Yugo's crisis at the end of middle school and can't understand why Yugo chose an agricultural school.

It really ticked me off how he chewed out Yugo's homeroom professor and stated the only justification for collapsing from overwork is studying. Umm... there's more to establishing a career than sitting in a room staring at a bunch of papers. What makes Yugo's dad think he knows how careers in agribiz work? He has no clue, so he can't evaluate.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The bacon is a lie. <---------------- That's the feeling I got from Yugo's expression as his father left.

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

i just read the newest chapter, it was a little bit less dramatic than the last one but gave of the feeling something big is on the horizon for hachiken. his family is seriously messed up thou. the horse draft race was extremely funny. i cant wait to see the mikage and hachikens talk next chapter.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spiral of depression averted, for Hachiken anyway. Poor cheese-sensei.

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well we at least averted the disaster to spiral out of control thou the mikage-hachiken front is open still. twirling hair is an interesting char to say the least. arakawa really made a good conclusion to the story. thou i really fekt bad for the nakajima-sensei. i cant w8 to see the colour spread.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The color spread is already available in the color thread if you really can't wait :-)

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well idont know if any1 watched it or posted it anywhere but;

Spoiler show

the video is drawn by arakawa herself.

this other video is the comments of the twitter followers made into a CM by shogakukan;

Spoiler show

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast