Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: If you saw a person suddenly getting attacked/mugged what would you do?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing it doesnt concern me

1 5.56%
  • Rush in to help

11 61.11%
  • Call the police

2 11.11%
  • Try and scare him away by shouting at him

4 22.22%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You Help A Stranger In Need

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Animeace's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Would You Help A Stranger In Need

Scenario:Your walking along a sidewalk when out of the corner of your eye you notice a person in an alley suddenly getting attacked/mugged what would you do? Would put yourself in harms way, possibly saving the person's life.

If something like this where to happen no way I could just walk by and ignore it so I'd try to intervene but not directly instead I'd probably shout in the direction of the assailant to try and scare him away.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would You Help A Stranger In Need

Nice, this can be a kind of psychology test or something lol.

Anyway if its me, depending on whether the person is armed or not.
    If that person is armed, it will be stupid to rush ahead.
    I think it'll be better to stay calm and find it a way to sneak up on him, but before that, call the police.
    Just in case anything happens to you in the process.
    Of course..I can dash towards him straight on without any thinking..but it'll need alot of guts to do that. I'll help, but not in a stupid way. I won't approach him alone when he is armed.

I'll also see if there's anyone besides me and ask for help.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to help. It's not in my character to just watch someone get attacked. Go for the kneecaps!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't really predict what I would do in such a situation, I think it's hardly possible to do so.
    The "objectively right way" police promotes is directly pleading for people's aid (directly talking at single people, not just to a crowd, because then they're less likely to ignore one) and, of course, having someone calling police, too.
    Once there is an organisation amongst the bystanders to intervene, it's not really possible for a single aggressor to do anything anymore.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member g0dzax's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.I will more than surely jump to help that person,but not blindly,but by using my head.Depending mostly if that person has a gun on it,if I see the gun there's no freakin' way I'd charge ahead.Despite not knowing karate or other shits,I would probably rush and try to immobilize the attacker.

A freakin' coincidence,something interesting happened last month: I was with on my street with two friends(a girl and a boy,both of them @15 years old),and we were casually talking.A seemingly drunk guy appears out of nowhere.Exactly when he appears near us,I laughed really hard at a joke the boy said.That seemingly drunk person (who looked @25 years old)probably thought that I was laughing of him.He came charging towards me and shouted at me.He managed to hit me with his palm,rendering me useless on the grass.With the corner of my eye,I saw my two friends running like hell.That person tried again to kick me with his leg,I blocked it and hit with all my strength his "family jewels"(ya know...between his legs).He immediately fell to his knees,I got up and kicked him with my leg(in his face).He fell to the ground,and though I wanted to beat him more,I ran towards my home.My face was all bloody.

What I had drawn from that small adventure? Mainly 2 things:

You can think,say that you will not run,that you'll fight,but the moment you're faced in reality with that moment,you're REALLY scared,and the only thought that's running through your head is to run.Really hard to control your emotions.You can never know what reaction you'll have when faced with such moments,but the largest part of us would definetely run for it.

Secondly,I need to learn karate or similar stuff.Just to defend myself,in case something.

Oh,and lastly,I learned how it is to be abandoned and not helped.Because I know that feeling,I am now bound(I feel almost like it's my duty) to help those in need.Once you experience this kind of stuff,you'll always help everyone,since you know how it is.

So,lastly: I'd definetely risk my life for a stranger.(what better way to reach haven than self sacrifice) ).

@alphabeta: EXACTLY!
    Last edited by g0dzax; April 15, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

9 out of 10 people will say they will help a stranger.
    1 out of 10 people will help a stranger, when it comes down to take action

As simple as that. I'm the 1 person, who won't say he will help a stranger, and the one who will, when it comes down to action

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched a robbery,3 guys interfered to defend the seller. with 5 friends of mine I run against the robber shouting. seeing all of these people against him,the robber escaped but the police captured him straightaway.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i myself got mugged 3 times now, no one did a thing
    bangladesh isnt a place where you can win with muggers, but i d sure try to call the cops but the cops are more corrupt than the muggers........

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is what I would like to do to the guy:
    Spoiler show

But this is what I would probably do:
    Spoiler show

On a more serious note though, there many factors that can put things in perspective for the individual when deciding whether to 'fight or flight': Their mood, whether or not the criminal has a weapon; Is the criminal bigger than the individual, etc. If a person is faced with this scenario and all of these factors are not in their favor, would they still be able to say that they would feel comfortable confronting the criminal? Kindness are bravery, both of which I have, are only small parts of the decision, but even still, I would need to be in the situation to know how to react.

I've been at the opposite end of the spectrum, though. I remember back in high school, my friends and I were chased by some psycho who kept pulling new weapons out of his ass. Seriously, he had a new weapon every time I looked back. It was class A ass pulling like the ones you see in anime. So anyway, people saw three high school kids being chased by this psycho with seemingly morphing capable weapons and watched like it was Saturday night television.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

It all comes down to this. It's cool to step infront of a gangster protecting someone else like superman, and you'll be regarded as a hero, HOWEVER, it is definitely NOT COOL to be dead.

So, you choose to be a living looser, or a dead hero?

Of course this is over-exagaration, but if you change living looser, into living guy / girl, who thinks his own life costs more than others, and dead hero into half-alive / sevearly injured person, you'll have the description of egoism...

I think my own life is more important, than anyone else's here.
    Freid thinks his own life is more important than anyone else's here, including mine.
    Shaheer thinks his own life is more important... blah, blah, blah.

You can see what i mean. If you think, after reading this post, i'm an egoist... well, i am, and if you think you're not, then you're Mother Theresa, resurected... what i highly doubt.
    Last edited by alphabeta; April 16, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    Freid thinks his own life is more important than anyone else's here, including mine.
    Well, I don't think my own life is more important that anyone else's. I am just aware that when faced with the scenario, there are certain things that could compromise my morals and intentions to help the person.

If I found myself in that dilemma, I would first consider whether or not my help would even be fruitful. After all, it's meaningless for somebody to plunge into such a crisis where it's clear that their involvement won't change a thing and would only mean both of them would be killed instead. That's something you would see in a comedy lol. Still, if my decision is ultimately not to help, it won't be because I disregard the value of another person's life.

Anyway, even though an individual's sense of altruism does play a huge role in whether or not they 'fight or flight', it's not always the case that those are the people that would be most willing to help. For example: Somebody who feels that they do not have much to lose may find it easier to put their own life at risk in order to save another person. However, another person that considers their family, ambitions, religion, etc. could easily talk themselves out of helping, but this wouldn't necessarily mean that the former is the 'better' person.

Well, to conclude, chivalry is not stupidity. There are some people that would instinctively go to somebodies aid which is a noble thing to do, but it's wiser to evaluate the situation and act accordingly. A person can be somebody's white knight even indirectly.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the country I'm in tho.

If you decide to help some old man who's fallen over at some crossing in china, chances are, as soon as they get up, you get sued by the guy you helped. >.>

Muggin? Yeah, I'd help, but as alphabeta said, if he's got a knife, I'd probably think twice. But my 20 kg bag -->face probably hurts if he isn't armed.

Also, alphabeta, what happens if this mugger is an experienced fighter and has his knife concealed?
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rikudou Sennin's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I would help the attacker and enjoy. Ahh...nope.

I would probably check out the situation, if he has a knife...hmmm dunno....depends how many they are and how many people would join me...but if he is alone...I would probably rush in (after calculating the situation) and would take him out. (its within my abilities)

If he is armed, I would call the police and would probably wait and throw something at him and then make a run (when I'am alone) or stand united with a big group of people. But unless I'am able to use haki, I wouldnt rush in if the attacker has a gun.

There are many factors regarding an awnser (How many? how`? where? Armed? and so on)

If its a bully or somebody else and he has no weapon at all I would kick his butt. (after informing the police)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member indieRokker's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably; but I'll ring the cops first, if they don't hurry the fuck up, I'll run over and start bashing the dick with my skateboard and leg it with the kid if he's not to hurt or so.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mama Satsuki's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the situation. Never I'd just ignore, but with a father as an officer, I know the dangers of just "rushing in to help". The money that person is losing will NEVER equal to the value of mine or their life. So, I'd probably just shout to scare the person, if they aren't armed and I feel like they are just stupid robbers (=as scared as the robbed).

Now, if they are armed I'd call the police, watch from a distance and give support once the robbers are out of view.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast